Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 1120959

Shown: posts 1 to 13 of 13. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

I'm finding seroquel to be activating.

Posted by TriedEveryMedication on November 4, 2022, at 23:11:07

p-doc added seroquel for my GAD. From what he said, this stuff is supposed to knock me out. 50mg at night keeps me up. Kinda afraid to go higher, fear of even worse insomnia.

It does seem to be helping my anxiety.

Can I take this during the day instead of at night?

 

Re: I'm finding seroquel to be activating.

Posted by undopaminergic on November 6, 2022, at 4:15:24

In reply to I'm finding seroquel to be activating., posted by TriedEveryMedication on November 4, 2022, at 23:11:07

> p-doc added seroquel for my GAD. From what he said, this stuff is supposed to knock me out. 50mg at night keeps me up. Kinda afraid to go higher, fear of even worse insomnia.
>

That is unusual. I got (generic) Seroquel PRN at night for sleep.

> It does seem to be helping my anxiety.
>
> Can I take this during the day instead of at night?

Yes, why not?

-undopaminergic

 

ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days

Posted by TriedEveryMedication on November 6, 2022, at 15:31:00

In reply to I'm finding seroquel to be activating., posted by TriedEveryMedication on November 4, 2022, at 23:11:07

Upped my dose last night to 100mg and I woke up at 5am with awful anxiety, probably worse than baseline.

I have this terrible discomfort in my chest and a weird kind of restlessness. Also nauseated. Just feel miserable.

Should I press on and give it more time?

 

Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days TriedEveryMedication

Posted by jay2112 on November 6, 2022, at 15:56:51

In reply to ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days, posted by TriedEveryMedication on November 6, 2022, at 15:31:00

> Upped my dose last night to 100mg and I woke up at 5am with awful anxiety, probably worse than baseline.
>
> I have this terrible discomfort in my chest and a weird kind of restlessness. Also nauseated. Just feel miserable.
>
> Should I press on and give it more time?

I found it did the exact same. Lots of inner restlessness, anxiety.

Jay

 

Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days

Posted by linkadge on November 6, 2022, at 19:24:34

In reply to Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days TriedEveryMedication, posted by jay2112 on November 6, 2022, at 15:56:51

The metabolite of quetiapine (norquetiapine) is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. Some people (like myself) are very sensitive to NRI action.

Linkadge

 

Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days

Posted by linkadge on November 6, 2022, at 19:27:35

In reply to Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days TriedEveryMedication, posted by jay2112 on November 6, 2022, at 15:56:51

The metabolite of quetiapine (norquetiapine) is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. Some people (like myself) are very sensitive to NRI action.

Linkadge

 

Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days

Posted by Lamdage22 on November 8, 2022, at 9:54:35

In reply to Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days, posted by linkadge on November 6, 2022, at 19:24:34

Could this cause Panic? If I think about ever since Seroquel I get it more often. What would be an alternative (knocks you out in high dose, calming and antipsychotic effect?

 

Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days

Posted by undopaminergic on November 9, 2022, at 5:43:17

In reply to Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days, posted by Lamdage22 on November 8, 2022, at 9:54:35

> Could this cause Panic? If I think about ever since Seroquel I get it more often. What would be an alternative (knocks you out in high dose, calming and antipsychotic effect?
>

Olanzapine, but you're already on that. Clozapine -- a good thing is that it has the lowest liability among antipsychotics to cause tardive dyskinesia.

 

Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days

Posted by Lamdage22 on November 10, 2022, at 9:12:57

In reply to Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days, posted by undopaminergic on November 9, 2022, at 5:43:17

But other than that clozapine is bit less "clean" right?

 

Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days

Posted by undopaminergic on November 10, 2022, at 9:58:23

In reply to Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days, posted by Lamdage22 on November 10, 2022, at 9:12:57

> But other than that clozapine is bit less "clean" right?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it touches more receptors.

-undopaminergic

 

Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days undopaminergic

Posted by SLS on November 11, 2022, at 10:04:53

In reply to Re: ready to abandon this stuff after only a cpl days, posted by undopaminergic on November 9, 2022, at 5:43:17

> > Could this cause Panic? If I think about ever since Seroquel I get it more often. What would be an alternative (knocks you out in high dose, calming and antipsychotic effect?
> >
>
> Olanzapine, but you're already on that. Clozapine -- a good thing is that it has the lowest liability among antipsychotics to cause tardive dyskinesia.

Some say that it is Seroquel that has the lowest incidence of TD. I think you might be right about olanzapine being better than Seroquel. If nothing else, olanzapine is probably a more effective antipsychotic (for schizoid disorders and mania) than Seroquel. When olanzapine was first release, there were reports of it precipitating mania. My doctor at the time mentioned that he and his colleagues had some patients who reacted this way. Olanzapine was approved in September of 1996. I have heard nothing about olanzapine and mania since.


- Scott

 

Re: I'm finding seroquel to be activating. TriedEveryMedication

Posted by SLS on January 16, 2023, at 7:37:14

In reply to I'm finding seroquel to be activating., posted by TriedEveryMedication on November 4, 2022, at 23:11:07

> p-doc added seroquel for my GAD. From what he said, this stuff is supposed to knock me out. 50mg at night keeps me up. Kinda afraid to go higher, fear of even worse insomnia.
>
> It does seem to be helping my anxiety.
>
> Can I take this during the day instead of at night?


Sorry to come back so late.

I imagine you stopped taking Seroquel. That was absolutely the right call. My suspicion is that you were experiencing akathia. Seroquel is supposed to be one of the APs least likely to produce EPS, including akathisia. If it is akathisia / EPS, your reaction is idiosyncratic rather than the norm.

Unless there is no better explanation for your experience, remember how it felt so that you will recognize it the next time it happens. Remember that many psychotropics produce anxiety as a start-up side effect that dissipates given enough time - but nothing as intense as you experienced.


- Scott

 

Re: I'm finding seroquel to be activating.

Posted by undopaminergic on January 17, 2023, at 11:06:43

In reply to Re: I'm finding seroquel to be activating. TriedEveryMedication, posted by SLS on January 16, 2023, at 7:37:14

> > p-doc added seroquel for my GAD. From what he said, this stuff is supposed to knock me out. 50mg at night keeps me up. Kinda afraid to go higher, fear of even worse insomnia.
> >
> > It does seem to be helping my anxiety.
> >
> > Can I take this during the day instead of at night?
>
>
> Sorry to come back so late.
>
> I imagine you stopped taking Seroquel. That was absolutely the right call. My suspicion is that you were experiencing akathia. Seroquel is supposed to be one of the APs least likely to produce EPS, including akathisia. If it is akathisia / EPS, your reaction is idiosyncratic rather than the norm.
>
> Unless there is no better explanation for your experience, remember how it felt so that you will recognize it the next time it happens. Remember that many psychotropics produce anxiety as a start-up side effect that dissipates given enough time - but nothing as intense as you experienced.
>
>
> - Scott

As far as I understand akathisia, it is (when fully manifest) something worse than what he seems to describe. It is an extreme kind of restlessness, an inner urge that you have to move. It is felt centrally in the body rather than eg. in the legs.

-undopaminergic


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.