Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 897479

Shown: posts 1 to 11 of 11. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

How do you put yourself back out there?

Posted by Cseagraves on May 24, 2009, at 19:04:41

Was wondering.

If I can ever get out of this dark hole (that so many of you have been in) after having extreme anxiety and agoraphobia, shaking all day, trembling at the thought of what most people would consider normal and being a prisoner to this condition and to my house, now also being totally depressed because of above and feeling so hopeless and dreading every day.

If you find something that works, how do you just put yourself back out there when you've become so accustomed to the way you had to adjust your life to survive? Because of the med, do you just feel you can. (Iknow it will take some work on my part) As of right now, I cannot even fathom that I could actually exist everyday somewhat normal.

Just a question. Any responses would be great for those who have gone through this.

Thanks,

Courtney

 

Re: How do you put yourself back out there?

Posted by greywolf on May 24, 2009, at 19:17:16

In reply to How do you put yourself back out there?, posted by Cseagraves on May 24, 2009, at 19:04:41

Courtney:

I'm not sure what to say other than if the meds start working (and I'll say a prayer that they do), just take it slow and easy working your way back into what people call "normal" life. Make it a matter of months, not days or weeks.

And enjoy every little improvement along the way because you're working for them.

Greywolf

 

Re: How do you put yourself back out there? greywolf

Posted by Phillipa on May 24, 2009, at 19:38:56

In reply to Re: How do you put yourself back out there?, posted by greywolf on May 24, 2009, at 19:17:16

For me that time it just happened. Phillipa

 

Re: How do you put yourself back out there?

Posted by linkadge on May 24, 2009, at 20:20:22

In reply to Re: How do you put yourself back out there?, posted by greywolf on May 24, 2009, at 19:17:16

You've got to find something that you *really* want to do which is manageable.

Linkadge

 

Re: How do you put yourself back out there?

Posted by Neal on May 24, 2009, at 20:20:31

In reply to How do you put yourself back out there?, posted by Cseagraves on May 24, 2009, at 19:04:41

Many on this board have been there, or are there. To get "out there" some take small steps. Take a class that interests you, go to the book store or shop at the mall. Or just take a walk somewhere, if and when you feel you are able. Call a friend or relative, perhaps invent a "motive" for calling. Ask their advice or opinion on something. Sometimes a pet can help, fish, cat, dog, bird, whatever level of involvement you want. sometimes, just going to a pet store and seeing the puppies can cheer you up.

Writing, journaling, painting etc., I assume you know about.

And of course there's the meds route. You were asking about Klonopin earlier. That's helped lots of people in your position, as will AD's and other things that have been mentioned in the past on this board.

 

Re: How do you put yourself back out there?

Posted by Zana on May 24, 2009, at 21:34:09

In reply to Re: How do you put yourself back out there?, posted by Neal on May 24, 2009, at 20:20:31

Baby steps, like the other posters have said. It doesn't happen over night, but it does happen. You begin to feel like yourself again. Some things will be easier than you can imagine right now. You'll enjoy being alive again. Look forward to things again. Not dread every morning, every minute. It happens. It really does.

You'll see. You'll even laugh again.

Zana

 

Re: How do you put yourself back out there?

Posted by floatingbridge on May 24, 2009, at 22:29:15

In reply to How do you put yourself back out there?, posted by Cseagraves on May 24, 2009, at 19:04:41

What are some of my baby steps....? I knit, journaled, joined a collage group, and decided I needed to work on my social phobia. I rekindled a very few old friendships, went for walks with people and am still growing a circle of friends. I began to volunteer in small ways at my son's school and gradually took on bigger tasks. I try to walk alot. I wrote poetry--most sucked but some still gives me pleasure. I thought about what might give me pleasure. I work at it every day, little by little, and remind myself to congratulate myself for small 'victories' (which is difficult for me, but oh well....)

 

Re: How do you put yourself back out there? Cseagraves

Posted by yxibow on May 25, 2009, at 1:47:52

In reply to How do you put yourself back out there?, posted by Cseagraves on May 24, 2009, at 19:04:41

> Was wondering.
>
> If I can ever get out of this dark hole (that so many of you have been in) after having extreme anxiety and agoraphobia, shaking all day, trembling at the thought of what most people would consider normal and being a prisoner to this condition and to my house, now also being totally depressed because of above and feeling so hopeless and dreading every day.
>
> If you find something that works, how do you just put yourself back out there when you've become so accustomed to the way you had to adjust your life to survive? Because of the med, do you just feel you can. (Iknow it will take some work on my part) As of right now, I cannot even fathom that I could actually exist everyday somewhat normal.


What is "normal" ? We sometimes define ourselves by others, those are not "afflicted" are somehow normal. But for everyone out there that appears somehow to be 'perfect' and holding down a job or the like, there are things that are hidden behind. We all face something. Nobody is perfect. Nobody.


> Just a question. Any responses would be great for those who have gone through this.

I still have problems "putting myself out there" -- its hard to push yourself to do things that you don't want to do. I really do understand that feeling. Often there's a feeling of retreat into a "safe place".

Getting therapy can help.


And the suggestions of doing "baby steps" are important. You can't get from A to B by just going to B.... you do steps, gradually so you're not overwhelmed. If you go too fast, you might retreat.


It's hard, I know... but having a goal oriented treatment is going to put you forward.


We live in the Here and Now... living in the present allows you to focus on your future, living in the past doesn't get you forward.


Hope is something that is within... you have to create it, its not given to you, you make it happen. And it will.


-- best wishes

-- Jay

 

Re: How do you put yourself back out there? Cseagraves

Posted by Neal on May 25, 2009, at 1:55:05

In reply to How do you put yourself back out there?, posted by Cseagraves on May 24, 2009, at 19:04:41

_

Cseagraves,

I see I somewhat missed your point. You asked; if some med really worked, would you be able to just go out there?

Depends on the definition of "worked". But if a med really, really works for you, nobody will be able to hold you back. That's best case, but meds, if the right ones, will help a lot - a lot. I know right now that seems impossible, but believe me, it's possible.

Get the best pdocs you can afford. In the end it saves time and money.


_

 

Re: How do you put yourself back out there?

Posted by bulldog2 on May 25, 2009, at 10:02:09

In reply to How do you put yourself back out there?, posted by Cseagraves on May 24, 2009, at 19:04:41

> Was wondering.
>
> If I can ever get out of this dark hole (that so many of you have been in) after having extreme anxiety and agoraphobia, shaking all day, trembling at the thought of what most people would consider normal and being a prisoner to this condition and to my house, now also being totally depressed because of above and feeling so hopeless and dreading every day.
>
> If you find something that works, how do you just put yourself back out there when you've become so accustomed to the way you had to adjust your life to survive? Because of the med, do you just feel you can. (Iknow it will take some work on my part) As of right now, I cannot even fathom that I could actually exist everyday somewhat normal.
>
> Just a question. Any responses would be great for those who have gone through this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Courtney

One step at a time because it's a long journey.

 

Re: How do you put yourself back out there?

Posted by Neal on May 28, 2009, at 2:11:13

In reply to Re: How do you put yourself back out there?, posted by greywolf on May 24, 2009, at 19:17:16

agoraphobia is not insuperable. all the above posters I agree with. I once saw on TV a pdoc leading a group of agoraphobics to public places, malls and such. There might also be groups of agoraphobics on-line, or groups that meet at a restaurant once a month. You might put "agoraphobia" and your city or town or area in google and see what you come up with.


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.