Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 857106

Shown: posts 1 to 20 of 20. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Wellbutrin - Buproprion Headaches

Posted by JESSsMom on October 12, 2008, at 17:56:39

I tried WB a few years ago. Killed my appetite ,got me moving a bit, and sleeping less. I do remember the headaches I got from it though. And they didn't go away.

I am wondering if XL or SL might offset the headaches? I am pretty sure I just took the IR.

Any thoughts? I really need an activating, nonsedating, motivating, AD that will reduce my appetite - no more weight gainers.

 

Re: Wellbutrin - Buproprion Headaches JESSsMom

Posted by Phillipa on October 12, 2008, at 19:42:17

In reply to Wellbutrin - Buproprion Headaches, posted by JESSsMom on October 12, 2008, at 17:56:39

I got no headaches but at the time was rather manic? Since then fatigue has taken over depression or anxiety wonder if it would work now? I took 150 once a day so which kind was it? Thanks Phillipa

 

bupropion formulations JESSsMom

Posted by azalea on October 12, 2008, at 19:56:41

In reply to Wellbutrin - Buproprion Headaches, posted by JESSsMom on October 12, 2008, at 17:56:39

The SR and XL formulations are believed to have the same side effects, but to a lesser degree than the IR formulation. To minimize your risk of developing side effects, start low and increase slowly. There is some concern about the generic version of Wellbutrin XL and the FDA is conducting an investigation of patient complaints. Perhaps the SR would be the best way to go at this point. Bupropion SR is available in 100mg and 200mg tablets.

> I tried WB a few years ago. Killed my appetite ,got me moving a bit, and sleeping less. I do remember the headaches I got from it though. And they didn't go away.
>
> I am wondering if XL or SL might offset the headaches? I am pretty sure I just took the IR.
>
> Any thoughts? I really need an activating, nonsedating, motivating, AD that will reduce my appetite - no more weight gainers.

 

Re: Wellbutrin - Buproprion Headaches JESSsMom

Posted by yxibow on October 13, 2008, at 2:53:58

In reply to Wellbutrin - Buproprion Headaches, posted by JESSsMom on October 12, 2008, at 17:56:39

> I tried WB a few years ago. Killed my appetite ,got me moving a bit, and sleeping less. I do remember the headaches I got from it though. And they didn't go away.
>
> I am wondering if XL or SL might offset the headaches? I am pretty sure I just took the IR.
>
> Any thoughts? I really need an activating, nonsedating, motivating, AD that will reduce my appetite - no more weight gainers.

IR isn't usually used as much these days because it can increase the seizure level more than SR/XL. I'd ask your doctor about SR at least.

It's not surprising that it could cut appetite considering its descended from an ancient weight loss drug called Tenuate.

For a number of people it can also cause sleeplessness.


Motivating -- motivation comes from within, its not something that a pill can deliver. It comes with work and self-esteem building


As for medication help for increasing that, well probably at least half the SSRIs would fit that category -- Prozac is pretty notorious for being activating, at least for some.


But there's always tradeoffs for things activating, and that may be sleeplessness, at least in the beginning.


There's addons like Provigil, but it is not without risk just like any medication and I wouldn't personally lump on too many medications at once without trying something like a generally non-sedating SSRI first.


There's also certain AEDs that may or may not work for you, like Lamictal which can be an antidepressant augmenter.


Lithium is also an augmenter but is fraught with a lot of issues so I would use that as a last strategy.


-- tidings

Jay

 

Re: Wellbutrin - Buproprion Headaches

Posted by JESSsMom on October 13, 2008, at 12:47:10

In reply to Re: Wellbutrin - Buproprion Headaches JESSsMom, posted by yxibow on October 13, 2008, at 2:53:58

Thanks all. I have a Pdoc appointment this evening. I might possibly ask for 100mg SR and cut them in half to start. But then I am concerned with anxiety, too. I only use my klonopin to sleep because it makes me so drowsy.

I talked on the phone yesterday with a friend I had not spoken to for a while and she said I sounded very anxious. I didn't let on, but that was upsetting to hear. I didn't know I sounded that way (she is an honest friend who would not make that up) and it makes me wonder who wants to talk to someone who sounds all wound up like that? :(

Maybe adding a T I N Y bit of Luvox to the mix would help as I have some in my cabinet but geez, is that ever sedating, too. I just want to be normal.

 

splitting bupropion SR JESSsMom

Posted by azalea on October 13, 2008, at 13:24:54

In reply to Re: Wellbutrin - Buproprion Headaches, posted by JESSsMom on October 13, 2008, at 12:47:10

Interesting that you mention splitting the SR tablets in half. Your Pdoc and/or pharmacist may not be comfortable with this idea as the product inserts says not to split them. However, a letter to the editor of American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy mentions that splitting the SR tablets has little overall effect on the release of bupropion. Divided SR tablets have a lower rate of release than whole IR tablets. One caveat is that it is inadvisable to break a large number of tablets in advance of use as bupropion will degrade when exposed to moisture in the air; the broken surface is not protected by a film coating. The author concludes that splitting SR tablets has become a useful option for treating some patients. Probably more information than you wanted to know :)

Here's the source:
Splitting bupropion extended-release tablets
Am J Health Syst Pharm.1999; 56: 575

> Thanks all. I have a Pdoc appointment this evening. I might possibly ask for 100mg SR and cut them in half to start. But then I am concerned with anxiety, too. I only use my klonopin to sleep because it makes me so drowsy.
>
> I talked on the phone yesterday with a friend I had not spoken to for a while and she said I sounded very anxious. I didn't let on, but that was upsetting to hear. I didn't know I sounded that way (she is an honest friend who would not make that up) and it makes me wonder who wants to talk to someone who sounds all wound up like that? :(
>
> Maybe adding a T I N Y bit of Luvox to the mix would help as I have some in my cabinet but geez, is that ever sedating, too. I just want to be normal.

 

Re: splitting bupropion SR azalea

Posted by JESSsMom on October 13, 2008, at 13:52:38

In reply to splitting bupropion SR JESSsMom, posted by azalea on October 13, 2008, at 13:24:54

No, no, Azalea - not more info that I needed to know. Knowledge is power. I very MUCH appreciate your taking the time to post. I am gathering an arsenal of info to bring with me today.

 

Re: Wellbutrin - Buproprion Headaches Phillipa

Posted by JESSsMom on October 13, 2008, at 14:02:11

In reply to Re: Wellbutrin - Buproprion Headaches JESSsMom, posted by Phillipa on October 12, 2008, at 19:42:17

Hi Phillipa - I don't know. Hard to keep these formulations straight - IR, SR, and XL. This is how I understand them - The IR (immediate release) and SR (sustained release, 12 hr) should be taken in the morning. The XL (extended release, 24 hr) formulation is designed to slowly release over 24 hrs.

 

bupropion 150mg Philipa

Posted by azalea on October 13, 2008, at 15:14:10

In reply to Re: Wellbutrin - Buproprion Headaches Phillipa, posted by JESSsMom on October 13, 2008, at 14:02:11

Phillipa, the 150mg strength is available in SR and XL formulations. So it could have been either.

IR is dosed three times per day; available in 75mg and 100mg tablets.
SR is dosed twice per day; available in 100mg, 150mg, and 200mg tablets.
XL is dosed once per day; available in 150mg and 300mg tablets.

> Hi Phillipa - I don't know. Hard to keep these formulations straight - IR, SR, and XL. This is how I understand them - The IR (immediate release) and SR (sustained release, 12 hr) should be taken in the morning. The XL (extended release, 24 hr) formulation is designed to slowly release over 24 hrs.

 

Re: bupropion 150mg Philipa azalea

Posted by Phillipa on October 13, 2008, at 18:36:48

In reply to bupropion 150mg Philipa, posted by azalea on October 13, 2008, at 15:14:10

Thank-you Azeala you are so knowledgeable. So since Once a day must have been xl? Love Phillipa

 

Re: splitting bupropion SR JESSsMom

Posted by yxibow on October 13, 2008, at 19:14:21

In reply to Re: splitting bupropion SR azalea, posted by JESSsMom on October 13, 2008, at 13:52:38

> No, no, Azalea - not more info that I needed to know. Knowledge is power. I very MUCH appreciate your taking the time to post. I am gathering an arsenal of info to bring with me today.

Yes, exactly I saw that and was going to add to it, it is definitely not a good idea to split extended release formats. Just be prescribed the smallest dose that any extended release medication comes in.

And one would be started on a small dose anyhow. Most all psychoactive substances are not started at a high level for a very good reason that the body will heave. Its slow climbing.

Its like some of the pill granule splitting of Cymbalta that I have heard about -- again, caution there because biting a pellet can give an instant rush.

-- so to be redundant, best wishes

-- Jay

 

Re: splitting bupropion SR

Posted by raisinb on October 13, 2008, at 21:12:46

In reply to Re: splitting bupropion SR JESSsMom, posted by yxibow on October 13, 2008, at 19:14:21

My pdoc told me that splitting bupropion XL was fine, that she's had lots of patients do it. But I don't know that she's a guru or anything.

 

Re: splitting bupropion SR

Posted by JESSsMom on October 13, 2008, at 21:44:25

In reply to Re: splitting bupropion SR, posted by raisinb on October 13, 2008, at 21:12:46

This evening Pdoc prescribed 100 mg of bupropion SR to be split into 50 mg daily. He said there is no problem with it and if I am able to tolerate 50 mg without headaches, irritability, or tremors, I can take the whole tablet of 100 mgs. That remains to be seen. I will see him again in two weeks.

I did double up on my small dose of 25 mgs of Topomax tonight in anticipation of a headache tomorrow. I am not throwing three years of seeing a neurologist for hormonal, cluster headaches down the tube. Should have discussed this with Pdoc tonight but never got the chance. Might have minimal word finding difficulty tomorrow but 50 mgs. of Topomax is still a very low dose.

Pharmacist did call me aside tonight to tell me it's not advised to break the bupropion tablets up, for what it's worth. I nodded, paid, and left. I have to give this a try.

I will let everyone know how things go and truly appreciate the advise.

 

Re: splitting bupropion SR raisinb

Posted by yxibow on October 14, 2008, at 1:38:34

In reply to Re: splitting bupropion SR, posted by raisinb on October 13, 2008, at 21:12:46

> My pdoc told me that splitting bupropion XL was fine, that she's had lots of patients do it. But I don't know that she's a guru or anything.

Well -- maybe that's your doctor's opinion for you, and that's fine.

But I just can't see it from a psychopharmacology standpoint -- why make it an extended release medication, it might as well be IR. At best splitting an XL will probably cut its release part into the day, at worst, it will still be an IR.

I mean the same goes for OTC analgesics, for example, that are all-day pills -- I wouldn't want to get into splitting Aleve or something, who knows what sort of dose one would end up with.

But, that's just one view.

-- Jay

 

Re: splitting bupropion SR JESSsMom

Posted by azalea on October 14, 2008, at 9:37:39

In reply to Re: splitting bupropion SR, posted by JESSsMom on October 13, 2008, at 21:44:25

Interesting that your Pdoc was okay with splitting SR tabs, but pharmacist said it's not advisable. Always intriguing how research gets translated into clinical practice. Keep us updated with how you're doing.

> This evening Pdoc prescribed 100 mg of bupropion SR to be split into 50 mg daily. He said there is no problem with it and if I am able to tolerate 50 mg without headaches, irritability, or tremors, I can take the whole tablet of 100 mgs. That remains to be seen. I will see him again in two weeks.
>
> I did double up on my small dose of 25 mgs of Topomax tonight in anticipation of a headache tomorrow. I am not throwing three years of seeing a neurologist for hormonal, cluster headaches down the tube. Should have discussed this with Pdoc tonight but never got the chance. Might have minimal word finding difficulty tomorrow but 50 mgs. of Topomax is still a very low dose.
>
> Pharmacist did call me aside tonight to tell me it's not advised to break the bupropion tablets up, for what it's worth. I nodded, paid, and left. I have to give this a try.
>
> I will let everyone know how things go and truly appreciate the advise.

 

Re: splitting bupropion SR

Posted by JESSsMom on October 14, 2008, at 15:40:21

In reply to Re: splitting bupropion SR JESSsMom, posted by azalea on October 14, 2008, at 9:37:39

Yes - strange, isn't it? OK with my Pdoc, but the pharmacist said not advisable. I dunno. I am still glad to read the different views on here and will give it a try though........tomorrow.

SIGH - I goofed up big time by doubling my Topomax dosage last night. I feel so stupid for having done that because I woke up feeling like an utter zombie and slept most of the day away. It REALLY augmented my Klonopin.

I didn't want to take the bupropion so late in the day today so I will try again tomorrow. Thankfully, I have appointments and things to do tomorrow and the next day so sleeping the day away will not be an option.

I still feel so foggy I am now considering skipping my regular nightly 25 mg dose of Topomax just for tonight. Nothing like being your own doc but mine is not available by phone for such questions.

Thanks again everyone and I will update on the bupropion tomorrow.

 

Re: splitting bupropion SR JESSsMom

Posted by Phillipa on October 14, 2008, at 19:48:06

In reply to Re: splitting bupropion SR, posted by JESSsMom on October 14, 2008, at 15:40:21

Why not post on google search is splitting xl wellbutrin okay and see what pops up. You never know. Phillipa

 

Re: splitting bupropion SR Phillipa

Posted by yxibow on October 15, 2008, at 0:41:54

In reply to Re: splitting bupropion SR JESSsMom, posted by Phillipa on October 14, 2008, at 19:48:06

> Why not post on google search is splitting xl wellbutrin okay and see what pops up. You never know. Phillipa

Jan -- unless a verified scientific paper comes up in my opinion Idon't think that's a terribly good way of going about things.

I hate to be crass but it seems like searching is it okay to take two drinks or three with my Valium.

The net is full of stories, some true and some not. The best searches are going to come off of sites like the one we mentioned, and there are others, that subscribe to the HON code or similar standards of practice.

Or searching the acrobat PI (prescribing information) of the agent itself (if its too old, its often searchable from the NDA at Drugs@FDA).

If it says DONT CUT TABLETS that's a pretty good sign and if it says nothing that's also a sign not to do it because you never know.

I'm just trying to keep within the realm of "don't believe everything you read out there"

Its not personal.

-- Jay

 

Re: splitting bupropion SR

Posted by JESSsMom on October 15, 2008, at 16:45:07

In reply to Re: splitting bupropion SR Phillipa, posted by yxibow on October 15, 2008, at 0:41:54

I ended up just taking the whole 100 mg of bupropion SR this morning.

I can't BELIEVE the way I've been dragging all day. Had to take a nap. Couldn't climb the stairs at the mall to get something. Stairs seemed insurmountable.

This is not how I remember bupropion at all. I was expecting possible headache, tremor, irritability, and alertness. I have no idea what's going on. : (

This sucks.

 

Re: splitting bupropion SR JESSsMom

Posted by azalea on October 15, 2008, at 16:55:23

In reply to Re: splitting bupropion SR, posted by JESSsMom on October 15, 2008, at 16:45:07

Hang in there; it can take a few weeks of taking bupropion everyday before you feel the effect.

> I ended up just taking the whole 100 mg of bupropion SR this morning.
>
> I can't BELIEVE the way I've been dragging all day. Had to take a nap. Couldn't climb the stairs at the mall to get something. Stairs seemed insurmountable.
>
> This is not how I remember bupropion at all. I was expecting possible headache, tremor, irritability, and alertness. I have no idea what's going on. : (
>
> This sucks.


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.