Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 646259

Shown: posts 1 to 12 of 12. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

ADD and work -- long, but please help

Posted by detroitpistons on May 20, 2006, at 13:29:23

The past couple of years, I've found that I have serious problems at work. I've been fired once and nearly fired twice, I've gotten a "below expectations" on a performance review, and I think I've conducted myself poorly with coworkers in the sense that I sometimes say anything that comes to mind related to work and the work environment (usually negative). I think often I make people uncomfortable with some of my comments. I can be very blunt, but I've always thought I just "tell it like it is."

In my current job and in my last job, I've been told that I'm disorganized, I ask the same questions repeatedly, I have trouble putting 2 and 2 together, and I'm very forgetful. Basically, they say I have a hard time drawing conclusions from 2 different things I've learned in the past if that makes any sense.

Let me say that I did very well in school, graduating with honors from both highschool and college, but I always had a hard time following directions. I was always asking other people, "what did she say?", "what are we supposed to do?". I usually didn't learn a lot from the classroom. I got around this by reading the textbook at home. Even then, it took me twice as long to do my homework and take tests than it did other students, but the results were still good. In some classes, however, I did pay attention reasonably well. I had to try very hard though, and this was only in classes which were interesting to me.

I also have a very hard time following movies with complicated plots.

I've been diagnosed with bipolar II. Bipolar disorder has a very high rate of comorbidity wih other mood and mental disorders. But the overlap of symptoms from depression/hypomania with ADD is also very high, so this is all very confusing. However, I think I've had these problems even when I was well/euthymic in terms of depression/hypomania.

I filled out Dr. Amen's questionaire.

http://www.oneaddplace.com/addcheck.htm

At the end, it says:

Dr. Amen suggests: "More than 20 items with a score of three or more indicates a strong tendency toward ADD. Items 1, 6, and 7 are essential to make the diagnosis."

I scored a 40, and I also scored high on 1, 6, and 7.

Nobody thinks I have ADD because I did so well in school. I found ways to get around my inattention and concentration problems because school was a very structured and straightforward environment.

The work world is different though. I can't adapt as well as I could in school. I feel that school was really my only crowning achievment in life, and that I've screwed up everything else.

I CANNOT afford to get any more bad performance reviews or get fired again. I simply have to pay the bills. I work in a professional environment. The more you change jobs and the more you get bad reviews (makes it difficult to get references), the bigger the hole you dig for yourself, and the lower your chances of achieving career success, in my opinion.

I feel like it's sink or swim. I don't want to take any more meds, but at the same time, I can't afford to fail at work for the obvious practical reasons.

I've scheduled an appointment next week with my pdoc and I'm going to print out Dr. Amen's questionnaire and bring it with me.

The biggest thing in my mind is, can you do well in school and still have ADD?

Please, if you can relate to any of this and if you have any insights, I would greatly appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks,

Marc

 

Re: ADD and work -- long, but please help detroitpistons

Posted by fairywings on May 20, 2006, at 21:32:43

In reply to ADD and work -- long, but please help, posted by detroitpistons on May 20, 2006, at 13:29:23

Have you tried a pdoc who specializes in AD/HD?

You can go to www.addforums.com for more info, and to talk to other with ADD, and ADD with bi-polar. Maybe you're inattentive ADD, or have an auditory processing disorder...or both.

Sorry work is so hard for you. Hope you can find some help.
fw

 

Re: ADD and work -- long, but please help

Posted by lymom3 on May 21, 2006, at 2:47:27

In reply to ADD and work -- long, but please help, posted by detroitpistons on May 20, 2006, at 13:29:23

In a nutshell...yes and it will screw with your work life forever if you don't get it treated. At one point, I went through 7 jobs in 2 years. I am a member of MENSA...I certainly could perform the tasks of the jobs assigned to me also.
Do yourself a favor and get medicated because what you are going to end up doing is becoming really depressed and anxious because you're waiting for something bad to happen at work. Been there, done that.

Lisa

 

Re: ADD and work -- long, but please help

Posted by detroitpistons on May 21, 2006, at 10:14:00

In reply to Re: ADD and work -- long, but please help, posted by lymom3 on May 21, 2006, at 2:47:27

Lisa, thanks. From what I described, I take it that you would agree that there is a strong possibility that I may have ADD?

> In a nutshell...yes and it will screw with your work life forever if you don't get it treated. At one point, I went through 7 jobs in 2 years. I am a member of MENSA...I certainly could perform the tasks of the jobs assigned to me also.
> Do yourself a favor and get medicated because what you are going to end up doing is becoming really depressed and anxious because you're waiting for something bad to happen at work. Been there, done that.
>
> Lisa

 

Re: ADD and work -- long, but please help detroitpistons

Posted by lymom3 on May 21, 2006, at 21:17:57

In reply to Re: ADD and work -- long, but please help, posted by detroitpistons on May 21, 2006, at 10:14:00

I really think you do just because I can relate to so much of what you've said. You may notice it most at work, but it does affect all aspects of your life. I finally got medicated for mine when my ADHD son, who is now 18, hit school. I never did it for myself, I finally realized that my son needed me to be 100% to help HIM through school.

Good luck and ask away if you have any other questions.

 

Re: ADD and work -- long, but please help lymom3

Posted by detroitpistons on May 24, 2006, at 16:18:53

In reply to Re: ADD and work -- long, but please help detroitpistons, posted by lymom3 on May 21, 2006, at 21:17:57

Lisa,

He started me off on 5 mg Adderall XR. I assumed he would start me off on Strattera because stimulants aren't supposed to be good for any bipolar disorder (I'm apparently bipolar II). He was hesitant about Strattera because of potential side effects, but I was under the impression that Strattera's side effect profile was fairly small.

I also am very prone to nervousness and anxiety, so I didn't want to take a stimulant.

On a different vane, I wanted to see how I reacted to a pure SNRI. The only antidepressant I've responded well to is Effexor, an SSNRI. The SSRI's did nothing for me, making me wonder whether serotonin is really my problem. Since both bipolar and attention disorders (dopamine)are both related to the prefrontal cortex (in theory of course) where norepinephrine does a lot of it's work, I wanted to try Strattera as an experiment.

Anyways, I took 5 mg Adderall XR today and it made me a little wired at first, but now I feel a little tired. I know 5 mg is a low dose, but since I've never take Adderall before, I had a assumed I'd get a relatively strong/normal reaction. I don't feel like my focus is any better. This is only the first day though, so I'll wait and see.


> I really think you do just because I can relate to so much of what you've said. You may notice it most at work, but it does affect all aspects of your life. I finally got medicated for mine when my ADHD son, who is now 18, hit school. I never did it for myself, I finally realized that my son needed me to be 100% to help HIM through school.
>
> Good luck and ask away if you have any other questions.

 

Re: ADD and work detroitpistons

Posted by laima on July 21, 2006, at 16:29:03

In reply to ADD and work -- long, but please help, posted by detroitpistons on May 20, 2006, at 13:29:23


I'm very sorry to hear of your story. I actually plain lost my job, basically due to add issues. I coped for awhile by taking frequent fast breaks and finding reasons to run to a colleague's desk, boss's desk, toilet, etc. I'd then run back to my desk and do a task in a flash before running off on another dubious errand. I kept a notebook full of notes on my job- lists, phone numbers, basic procedures, etc. That helped- and of course, the management praised me for "compiling documentation". I learned the hard way to try to keep conversation "lite" and uncontroversial with colleagues, and when I could absolutely not resist venting, I picked someone from another office. I think I could have made him crazy, but he was patient. (We are no longer friends, however.)

My real downfall occurred after I decided to try to buckle down and sit still no matter what- I thought I'd be a better, more respectable and effective employee that way- but my productivity tanked and bossess got to see me looking lost at my desk, instead of busy and running around. THAT was the biggest problem, not looking busy and productive. I think they liked it better when I *looked* busy. Dumb, but true. In reality, getting up frequently and briefly helped me to get back to my desk and focus for short spells- it worked out much better. I still am irked that no one questioned the smokers who got up for frequent smoke breaks...Eventually I got fired for general incompetence/productivity and for vanishing away from my desk, setting a poor example of work ethic to peers, etc. Maddening, when the truth is my productivity was acknowledged by colleagues who didn't even like me to be equal to or better than theirs. In fact, some were upset that I made THEM look unproductive! But unfortunately, once fired, I was shunned. No one wanted to say anything or be associated with me, the fired person.

The whole experience has been really rough on my confidence around jobs.

I imagine when I do figure out about a new job- it should allow more action, less desk. That's a tough order for an over-educated person long groomed for a desk job- if you know what I mean, and from reading your post I think you must. Haven't figured out my options yet, and again, allowing this situation that I just describe build to a crack-up point shattered my confidence to even inquire after other jobs, for now. I kind of now wish I quit while I was ahead, if just to spare my dignity, confidence, and to retain a few plausable references for the future.

Good luck. I hope anything from my experience can be of any value to you as you cope.


> The past couple of years, I've found that I have serious problems at work. I've been fired once and nearly fired twice, I've gotten a "below expectations" on a performance review, and I think I've conducted myself poorly with coworkers in the sense that I sometimes say anything that comes to mind related to work and the work environment (usually negative). I think often I make people uncomfortable with some of my comments. I can be very blunt, but I've always thought I just "tell it like it is."
>
> In my current job and in my last job, I've been told that I'm disorganized, I ask the same questions repeatedly, I have trouble putting 2 and 2 together, and I'm very forgetful. Basically, they say I have a hard time drawing conclusions from 2 different things I've learned in the past if that makes any sense.
>
> Let me say that I did very well in school, graduating with honors from both highschool and college, but I always had a hard time following directions. I was always asking other people, "what did she say?", "what are we supposed to do?". I usually didn't learn a lot from the classroom. I got around this by reading the textbook at home. Even then, it took me twice as long to do my homework and take tests than it did other students, but the results were still good. In some classes, however, I did pay attention reasonably well. I had to try very hard though, and this was only in classes which were interesting to me.
>
> I also have a very hard time following movies with complicated plots.
>
> I've been diagnosed with bipolar II. Bipolar disorder has a very high rate of comorbidity wih other mood and mental disorders. But the overlap of symptoms from depression/hypomania with ADD is also very high, so this is all very confusing. However, I think I've had these problems even when I was well/euthymic in terms of depression/hypomania.
>
> I filled out Dr. Amen's questionaire.
>
> http://www.oneaddplace.com/addcheck.htm
>
> At the end, it says:
>
> Dr. Amen suggests: "More than 20 items with a score of three or more indicates a strong tendency toward ADD. Items 1, 6, and 7 are essential to make the diagnosis."
>
> I scored a 40, and I also scored high on 1, 6, and 7.
>
> Nobody thinks I have ADD because I did so well in school. I found ways to get around my inattention and concentration problems because school was a very structured and straightforward environment.
>
> The work world is different though. I can't adapt as well as I could in school. I feel that school was really my only crowning achievment in life, and that I've screwed up everything else.
>
> I CANNOT afford to get any more bad performance reviews or get fired again. I simply have to pay the bills. I work in a professional environment. The more you change jobs and the more you get bad reviews (makes it difficult to get references), the bigger the hole you dig for yourself, and the lower your chances of achieving career success, in my opinion.
>
> I feel like it's sink or swim. I don't want to take any more meds, but at the same time, I can't afford to fail at work for the obvious practical reasons.
>
> I've scheduled an appointment next week with my pdoc and I'm going to print out Dr. Amen's questionnaire and bring it with me.
>
> The biggest thing in my mind is, can you do well in school and still have ADD?
>
> Please, if you can relate to any of this and if you have any insights, I would greatly appreciate any input you may have.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marc
>
>

 

Re: ADD and work-forgot something-

Posted by laima on July 21, 2006, at 16:35:45

In reply to Re: ADD and work detroitpistons, posted by laima on July 21, 2006, at 16:29:03

...speaking of add.

I was already being treated with ritalin and xanax on this job- but that was of limited help then. The reason is the dosages were not yet worked out properly, and because the ritalin made me obnoxiously Pollyana-ish and spurty at the start of the day, and then sort of blah as it wore off before next dose was due. The Polly-ana part, in particular, didn't really endure me to my jaded coworkers, who otherwise might have been allies... I think it didn't help that I often skipped breakfast in effort not to be late in the AM, and an empty stomache makes ritalin much more potent.

 

Re: ADD and work laima

Posted by detroitpistons on July 21, 2006, at 16:38:48

In reply to Re: ADD and work detroitpistons, posted by laima on July 21, 2006, at 16:29:03

Laima,

Thanks for your response. I can identify with what you are saying. Right now my job isn't very satisfying and I've wanted to get out of corporate America altogether. I just don't know that I'm cut out for it.

For a moment, I thought I had discovered the greatest possibility of my life...becoming a pilot. It seemed perfect for me. But almost as soon as the idea was budding, it ended....You can't fly if you take AD's and/or if you've had any previous diagnosis of bipolar disorder. I've been diagnosed bipolar II.

 

Re: ADD and work detroitpistons

Posted by laima on July 21, 2006, at 17:23:57

In reply to Re: ADD and work laima, posted by detroitpistons on July 21, 2006, at 16:38:48


Oh, ADD and work a subject close to my heart!

I'm sorry to hear what you say about a previous bi-polar disorder and becoming a pilot. Is it true in all states? Can you contest the earlier diagnoses, or ask to be "re-tested"? Or prove yourself in some sort of "amateur" way? I hear pilots take provigel sometimes...and what of all those military pilots and others who are rumoured to take amphetamines?? Why ok for them to take psycho-active drugs? I sure hope there turns out to be a way for you to make this dream come true- it sounds so perfect for an add person. Good luck! You are really fortunate to even know your passion.


> Laima,
>
> Thanks for your response. I can identify with what you are saying. Right now my job isn't very satisfying and I've wanted to get out of corporate America altogether. I just don't know that I'm cut out for it.
>
> For a moment, I thought I had discovered the greatest possibility of my life...becoming a pilot. It seemed perfect for me. But almost as soon as the idea was budding, it ended....You can't fly if you take AD's and/or if you've had any previous diagnosis of bipolar disorder. I've been diagnosed bipolar II.

 

Re: ADD and work laima

Posted by detroitpistons on July 21, 2006, at 18:21:38

In reply to Re: ADD and work detroitpistons, posted by laima on July 21, 2006, at 17:23:57


> Oh, ADD and work a subject close to my heart!
>
> I'm sorry to hear what you say about a previous bi-polar disorder and becoming a pilot. Is it true in all states?

Yes, the rules are created by the FAA and apply everywhere.

>Can you contest the earlier diagnoses, or ask to be "re-tested"? Or prove yourself in some sort of "amateur" way?

I suppose I could go to another doctor and have him write me a letter, but I'd have to actually convince him that I don't have bipolar II. That would be very hard. Also, the FAA doesn't understand anything about mood disorders. Bipolar isn't about sudden mood swings. That couldn't be further from the truth. Besides, bipolar II people don't even get manic.

I think that in England, you can be treated for a mental disorder as long as you can prove that it doesn't affect your ability to fly...That makes a whole lot of sense. I should be able to prove myself, but that's just not the case. As far as the diagnosis goes, I'm going to have to check with my doctor to see how he reported me. I don't know how the whole medical history reporting thing works.

>I hear pilots take provigel sometimes...and what of all those military pilots and others who are rumoured to take amphetamines?? Why ok for them to take psycho-active drugs?

Well as far as I know, commercial pilots aren't supposed to be taking provigil.

>I sure hope there turns out to be a way for you to make this dream come true- it sounds so perfect for an add person. Good luck! You are
really fortunate to even know your passion.

Thanks. If my doctor tells me that there isn't anything on my medical record with "bipolar," then my next step will be to try and get off of my meds. I'm scared to do that though. I really did need them in the first place. I'll have to try going off of them and taking 5-HTP or other supplements and see how it goes. If after a year I'm doing fine, then I'll think about trying to go fly. It's really a longshot. I will not be able to take meds for as long as I'm a pilot. I can't take out $70k worth of loans if I'm not absolutely sure that I'll be able to stay a pilot.

> >
> > Thanks for your response. I can identify with what you are saying. Right now my job isn't very satisfying and I've wanted to get out of corporate America altogether. I just don't know that I'm cut out for it.
> >
> > For a moment, I thought I had discovered the greatest possibility of my life...becoming a pilot. It seemed perfect for me. But almost as soon as the idea was budding, it ended....You can't fly if you take AD's and/or if you've had any previous diagnosis of bipolar disorder. I've been diagnosed bipolar II.
>
>

 

Re: ADD and work

Posted by alohashirt on July 24, 2006, at 23:50:39

In reply to Re: ADD and work laima, posted by detroitpistons on July 21, 2006, at 18:21:38

ADD & work can really suck. I had a few years doing very interupt driven, crisis oriented work that was wonderful. when I get peace and quiet to do projects the wheels come undone. It's hard.


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.