Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 612326

Shown: posts 1 to 24 of 24. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

zyprexa

Posted by stann on February 23, 2006, at 0:42:10

I have been on zyprexa for 6 nights at 2.5 mg.I have anxiety and depression.All other meds have failed.The only AD med I have not given a good trial is effexor.
I was taking seroquel for sleep and it helped a little with anxiety.I am looking for more anti-anxiety and depression reliefe plus better sleep, so i switched to zyprexa 2.5mg.At first it seemed to calm me a little during the day, but after 6 days I am feeling fatiqued,tired,headaches, and it is hard to think.I feel uncomfortable mentally so i cut the med back to 1.25mg at bed.Also, I needed a sleep med on top of the zyprexa to sleep at night.I should say it has slowed my obsessive thinking down.
Does anyone know if this is a sign that this med is not going to work for me?I feel I should go back to seroquel for the minimal reliefe.

Thanks .....Stann

 

Re: zyprexa

Posted by upsndowns on February 23, 2006, at 15:22:21

In reply to zyprexa, posted by stann on February 23, 2006, at 0:42:10

I take 2.5 mg of Zyprexa and recently tried to up it to 3.75 and then to 5 but never made it past 3.75 because it made me so depressed and also gave me a feeling of zoning out completely it was that calming. I know now that if I ever need that where to go, but 2.5 is the limit for me and I may go down to 2 when the new pills can be written for in my scrip.

 

Re: zyprexa

Posted by stann on February 23, 2006, at 17:09:57

In reply to Re: zyprexa, posted by upsndowns on February 23, 2006, at 15:22:21


Hi,are you taking Zyprexa for sleep,anxiety/depression?I am wondering if you had any side effects when starting it.plus, are you on any other meds?

I am having a hard time with it at day 7.My anxiety is worse than before i started it..plus many other side effects..

thanks....

> I take 2.5 mg of Zyprexa and recently tried to up it to 3.75 and then to 5 but never made it past 3.75 because it made me so depressed and also gave me a feeling of zoning out completely it was that calming. I know now that if I ever need that where to go, but 2.5 is the limit for me and I may go down to 2 when the new pills can be written for in my scrip.

 

Re: zyprexa stann

Posted by Phillipa on February 23, 2006, at 18:55:20

In reply to Re: zyprexa, posted by stann on February 23, 2006, at 17:09:57

It's not an antidepressant maybe you need one? Fondly, Phillipa

 

Re: zyprexa

Posted by stann on February 23, 2006, at 21:29:48

In reply to Re: zyprexa stann, posted by Phillipa on February 23, 2006, at 18:55:20

I have tried all the ADs.They stopped working for me.I have been getting CBT for about a year and it helps A little.

later...

 

Re: zyprexa

Posted by med_empowered on February 23, 2006, at 22:36:45

In reply to Re: zyprexa, posted by stann on February 23, 2006, at 21:29:48

Antipsychotics are tricky. Zyprexa gave me "akathisia"--a sense of inner turmoil, accompanied by shaking and fidgeting--at only 2.5 mgs/day, which is (supposedly) uncommon. What I think is that a *lot* people get low-grade akathisia and heightened anxiety, even with the new antipsychotics...I just dont think psychiatrists notice (or want to notice, really).

You COULD wait it out--if its not too bad, you'll probably see improvement in a couple weeks. YOu could then stabilize the dose or increase it. Meds can help with the akathisia (ex: ativan, klonopin, propranolol) but they can present additional problems, too.

Have you tried Buspar? It does **mild** serotonin antagonism and a little D2 agonsim/antagonism--it might help.

Good luck!

 

Re: zyprexa

Posted by stann on February 23, 2006, at 23:18:48

In reply to Re: zyprexa, posted by med_empowered on February 23, 2006, at 22:36:45

Thanks for the info,what you described is pretty much what i feel.Is there hope that these problems will go away if i continue with the zyprexa?I am wondering if it gets worse before it gets better, like it does when starting a SSRI?
Last night I only took 1.25mg of Z, and today I feel hieghtened anxiety and have had feelings of confusion plus, light headed a few times and shaking.It was a tough dicision but I decided to continue with Z tonight at 2.5mg.I did not have this issue with seroquil.

Stann............


> Antipsychotics are tricky. Zyprexa gave me "akathisia"--a sense of inner turmoil, accompanied by shaking and fidgeting--at only 2.5 mgs/day, which is (supposedly) uncommon. What I think is that a *lot* people get low-grade akathisia and heightened anxiety, even with the new antipsychotics...I just dont think psychiatrists notice (or want to notice, really).
>
> You COULD wait it out--if its not too bad, you'll probably see improvement in a couple weeks. YOu could then stabilize the dose or increase it. Meds can help with the akathisia (ex: ativan, klonopin, propranolol) but they can present additional problems, too.
>
> Have you tried Buspar? It does **mild** serotonin antagonism and a little D2 agonsim/antagonism--it might help.
>
> Good luck!

 

Re: zyprexa stann

Posted by yxibow on February 24, 2006, at 2:10:42

In reply to zyprexa, posted by stann on February 23, 2006, at 0:42:10

> I have been on zyprexa for 6 nights at 2.5 mg.I have anxiety and depression.All other meds have failed.The only AD med I have not given a good trial is effexor.
> I was taking seroquel for sleep and it helped a little with anxiety.I am looking for more anti-anxiety and depression reliefe plus better sleep, so i switched to zyprexa 2.5mg.At first it seemed to calm me a little during the day, but after 6 days I am feeling fatiqued,tired,headaches, and it is hard to think.I feel uncomfortable mentally so i cut the med back to 1.25mg at bed.Also, I needed a sleep med on top of the zyprexa to sleep at night.I should say it has slowed my obsessive thinking down.
> Does anyone know if this is a sign that this med is not going to work for me?I feel I should go back to seroquel for the minimal reliefe.
>
> Thanks .....Stann
>


Zyprexa worked and made me sleep like a baby after about 4 or 5 days at 5mg. 1.25mg is almost an unclinical dose, although you may be terribly sensitive to it. It would explain why you would need something extra to sleep. 6 days begins to show signs of relief from an AP, but a real trial isnt for at least several weeks. I couldn't take it because of pseudoparkinsonism, eventually. I use Seroquel now. APs in general can give a "blunting" feeling of tiredness and disreality but if you're having that many side effects, after say another few days at least, then maybe you're right about Seroquel.

 

Stann

Posted by deniseuk on February 27, 2006, at 12:13:43

In reply to zyprexa, posted by stann on February 23, 2006, at 0:42:10

Stan,

I find if I take 10mg of Zyprexa every now and again it really helps my depression for about a week after taking it.

I tried taking 5mg for a week or so only and it hardly did anything for me.

I've tried Zyprexa now and again with ADs and without and 10mg has always got me out of that hole.

Denise

 

Re: Stann deniseuk

Posted by ed_uk on February 27, 2006, at 13:32:16

In reply to Stann, posted by deniseuk on February 27, 2006, at 12:13:43

Denise,

Have you ever tried trimipramine (Surmontil)?

Ed

 

Re: Stann

Posted by stann on February 28, 2006, at 17:35:58

In reply to Re: Stann deniseuk, posted by ed_uk on February 27, 2006, at 13:32:16

> Denise,
>
> Have you ever tried trimipramine (Surmontil)?
>
> Ed

No, I do not belive I have tried Trimipramine.It must be an older medicine.

 

Re: Stann

Posted by stann on February 28, 2006, at 17:47:23

In reply to Stann, posted by deniseuk on February 27, 2006, at 12:13:43

> Stan,
>
> I find if I take 10mg of Zyprexa every now and again it really helps my depression for about a week after taking it.
>
> I tried taking 5mg for a week or so only and it hardly did anything for me.
>
> I've tried Zyprexa now and again with ADs and without and 10mg has always got me out of that hole.
>
> Denise

I have only been taking zyprexa for almost two weeks and for the last few nights a low dose of 1.25mg.Even at this low dose I feel over stimulated and mentally uncomfortable.
I am wondering if the sleep med I take along with the z might have some weird interaction with the zyprexa.Imovane also known as zopiclon is the name of the sleep medicine.Does anyone know if this med has any interactions with zyprexa.The pharmacy said no,but I think there might be...

Thanks...

 

Re:To Ed

Posted by deniseuk on March 1, 2006, at 11:06:38

In reply to Re: Stann deniseuk, posted by ed_uk on February 27, 2006, at 13:32:16

Hi Ed,

No I haven't, not sure what it is but I'll look it up.

Have you tried it?

Denise

 

Re: To Ed

Posted by deniseuk on March 1, 2006, at 11:11:25

In reply to Re: Stann deniseuk, posted by ed_uk on February 27, 2006, at 13:32:16

Ok I've just looked it up and see that it's a tricyclic.

Prothiaden (a tricyclic) was the first AD I ever took and it worked wonderfully at 75mg for 5 years.

I tried it again this time round and got up to 300mg but it didn't work and I eventually passed out on it one day at work so gave up on that.

I've got a feeling if one tryciclic doesn't work then chances are another one won't.

I'm almost sure that this depression must be worse, I'm much more resistant for some reason and until they can work out why people become resistant they will never have and answer.


Kind Regards....Denise

 

Re: Stann

Posted by deniseuk on March 1, 2006, at 11:13:50

In reply to Re: Stann, posted by stann on February 28, 2006, at 17:47:23

Stann,

You might be feeling mentally uncomfortable because of the depression and anxiety not because of the Zyprexa.

I know if I had only taken that small of dose I would have edventually written it off but I do know that 10mg of Zyprexa gives me (I hope it stays that way) a wonderful nights sleep and makes me wake up a new person.

It wouldn't harm to try 10mg just for one night if your Doc oks it and if doesn't work then fine at least you tried it.


Denise

 

Re: To Ed deniseuk

Posted by ed_uk on March 3, 2006, at 15:41:54

In reply to Re: To Ed, posted by deniseuk on March 1, 2006, at 11:11:25

Hi Denise

Surmontil is a tricyclic which is quite different from the other tricyclics. I thought it might be worth a try :)

ED

 

Re: To Ed

Posted by deniseuk on March 6, 2006, at 10:59:39

In reply to Re: To Ed deniseuk, posted by ed_uk on March 3, 2006, at 15:41:54

Hi Ed,

Thanks for suggesting this, in what way is it different from the other tricylclics and have you tried it?

How are you anyway? What are you currently taking? I think I remember you saying an SSRI is that correct?

Denise

 

Re: To Ed deniseuk

Posted by ed_uk on March 6, 2006, at 13:22:02

In reply to Re: To Ed, posted by deniseuk on March 6, 2006, at 10:59:39

Hi Denise

>Thanks for suggesting this, in what way is it different from the other tricylclics and have you tried it?

I haven't tried it. It differs from the other tricyclic antidepressants because it's not a reuptake inhibitor. It acts at various other receptors, in some ways resembling an antipsychotic, although it is not classed as an antipsychotic.

>How are you anyway? What are you currently taking?

I'm not too bad thank you :) Working 6 days a week so quite busy. I'm taking citalopram 80mg at the moment.

Ed x

 

Re: To Ed

Posted by cecilia on March 6, 2006, at 23:42:29

In reply to Re: To Ed deniseuk, posted by ed_uk on March 6, 2006, at 13:22:02

Does Surmontil have side effects similar to other tricyclics? (If so, forget it) Does it have AP side effects (TD etc)? Cecilia

 

Re: To Ed cecilia

Posted by ed_uk on March 7, 2006, at 13:57:01

In reply to Re: To Ed, posted by cecilia on March 6, 2006, at 23:42:29

Hi Cecilia

>Does Surmontil have side effects similar to other tricyclics?

Which side effects did you experience on TCAs? Surmontil is anticholinergic, so it does cause anticholinergic side effects. It also causes drowsiness very commonly.

>Does it have AP side effects (TD etc)?

In general, no, although TD has been reported extremely rarely with a variety of different ADs, including TCAs and SSRIs.

Regards

Ed

>

 

Re: Stann

Posted by stann on March 7, 2006, at 20:57:28

In reply to Re: Stann, posted by deniseuk on March 1, 2006, at 11:13:50

> Stann,
>
> You might be feeling mentally uncomfortable because of the depression and anxiety not because of the Zyprexa.
>
> I know if I had only taken that small of dose I would have edventually written it off but I do know that 10mg of Zyprexa gives me (I hope it stays that way) a wonderful nights sleep and makes me wake up a new person.
>
> It wouldn't harm to try 10mg just for one night if your Doc oks it and if doesn't work then fine at least you tried it.
>
>
> Denise


Well, I quite taking Zyprexa 6 days ago because it was giving me Akathsia like side effects even at 1.25mg,and now as of today my anxiety/depression came back full force.My anxiety is like no anxiety I have ever heard of.It has stolen my life from me.My mind is out of control.

To me, I feel like I have some form of schizophrenia thinking.It does not quite and It consumes my life,but my doc assurs me it is anxiety.Anyway, I think I am going to take a dose of Z tonight because it stops my thinking very fast and killes a lot of the depression .I do not like the Akathsia I eventually get but I will have a little reliefe while I am on it.

Do you think a higher dose than 2.5mg would cause more Akathsia?Is 10mg considered a high dose?also,are you taking any other meds along with the Z?And,why are you taking Z?is it for anxiety/depression??

Thanks..........Stann

 

Re: Stann

Posted by deniseuk on March 21, 2006, at 4:45:06

In reply to Re: Stann, posted by stann on March 7, 2006, at 20:57:28

Hi Stann,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. The Zyprexa helps with my depression and the awful agitation and anxiety. I've heard of people getting akathisia on it, including people on this board and I've noticed it seems to mainly affect men for some reason.

I've taken Zyprexa with lots of different anti-depressants and it always helps (touch wood) regardless of which drug I'm taking it with.

I've also heard of people for whom Zyprexa helps with Akathisia.

I'm not sure how 10mg would affect you but if it helps even for a short while then take it until you find something else.

Let me know how you get on.

Having said that I wish I would heed my own advice, I always feel like I'm cheating when I take Zyprexa ironically because it helps.


Denise

 

Re: Thanks Ed.

Posted by deniseuk on March 21, 2006, at 11:53:11

In reply to Re: To Ed cecilia, posted by ed_uk on March 7, 2006, at 13:57:01

Thanks Ed, I'll bear it in mind :-)

Denise

 

Re: Stann

Posted by stann on March 28, 2006, at 19:26:29

In reply to Re: Stann, posted by deniseuk on March 21, 2006, at 4:45:06

Hi...For now zyprexa has not worked out for me.Akathisia and heightened anxiety happens at a low dose.Higher doses will probably make it worse.I am dissapointed because initially Z seemed to be helping me.I will keep it in mind as an adjunk though...

Stann.....


> Hi Stann,
>
> Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. The Zyprexa helps with my depression and the awful agitation and anxiety. I've heard of people getting akathisia on it, including people on this board and I've noticed it seems to mainly affect men for some reason.
>
> I've taken Zyprexa with lots of different anti-depressants and it always helps (touch wood) regardless of which drug I'm taking it with.
>
> I've also heard of people for whom Zyprexa helps with Akathisia.
>
> I'm not sure how 10mg would affect you but if it helps even for a short while then take it until you find something else.
>
> Let me know how you get on.
>
> Having said that I wish I would heed my own advice, I always feel like I'm cheating when I take Zyprexa ironically because it helps.
>
>
> Denise


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.