Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 346710

Shown: posts 4 to 28 of 28. Go back in thread:

 

Re: Meds Sad Panda

Posted by Rainee on May 14, 2004, at 8:37:20

In reply to Re: Meds Buckeye Fan, posted by Sad Panda on May 14, 2004, at 8:33:41

I don't either Panda actually I have life in me.

Rainee ;)

 

Re: Meds Rainee

Posted by Sad Panda on May 14, 2004, at 9:04:28

In reply to Re: Meds Sad Panda, posted by Rainee on May 14, 2004, at 8:37:20

> I don't either Panda actually I have life in me.
>
> Rainee ;)
>

I'm glad you are on the mend :)

I'm not 100% happy with my pill collection, I had zero motivation before drugs & I still have zero. I'm waiting to see an endocrinoligist, I'm hoping some Thyroxine will do the trick.

Cheers,
Panda.


 

Re: Meds

Posted by nephron on May 14, 2004, at 9:34:20

In reply to Meds, posted by Buckeye Fan on May 14, 2004, at 6:52:43

Well, it didn't take *me* that long to get sick- as far as I can tell, I've been sick since the day I was born.

And I haven't noticed any flattening of my mood on Effexor- just that the average mood is much higher. Whereas I used to cycle between desperately suicidal and kind of OK, now I cycle between borderline suicidal and pretty damn fine.

 

Re: Meds

Posted by Buckeye Fan on May 14, 2004, at 10:37:32

In reply to Re: Meds, posted by nephron on May 14, 2004, at 9:34:20

> Well, it didn't take *me* that long to get sick- as far as I can tell, I've been sick since the day I was born.
>
> And I haven't noticed any flattening of my mood on Effexor- just that the average mood is much higher. Whereas I used to cycle between desperately suicidal and kind of OK, now I cycle between borderline suicidal and pretty damn fine.
*************************************************

[B]Hey guys...I didnt mean to offend.
I just think there is substantial evidence ON THIS WEBPAGE and many other places, showing the rollercoaser ride that taking Meds for emotional disorders is one way to fix the problem...but not the Best way.

Dont forget...Im in the same boat with you.
I am on them to.
However.....I realize that most of us could be cured if we do the Following:

1) Eat right ( natural foods produced by the Earth
2) Exercise hard...every day
3) Obey the Bible...and dont hold grudges or bury our anger
4) Fast...a couple times a week. Give our bodies a chance to heal by drinking ONLY water. The best I have ever felt in the last 10 years...was last year right after I did a 10 day,liquid only fast.
5)Avoid alcohol...it is a poisen.
6) Get plenty of fresh outside air and sunshine
* VERY IMPORTANT*

Just my opinions...dont kill the messenger.

Buckeye Fan

 

Re: Meds Buckeye Fan

Posted by Sad Panda on May 14, 2004, at 12:37:39

In reply to Re: Meds, posted by Buckeye Fan on May 14, 2004, at 10:37:32

> [B]Hey guys...I didnt mean to offend.
> I just think there is substantial evidence ON THIS WEBPAGE and many other places, showing the rollercoaser ride that taking Meds for emotional disorders is one way to fix the problem...but not the Best way.
>
>

It's the best way for me.

> Dont forget...Im in the same boat with you.
> I am on them to.
> However.....I realize that most of us could be cured if we do the Following:
>
> 1) Eat right ( natural foods produced by the Earth

I'm too depressed to eat right.

> 2) Exercise hard...every day

I'm too depressed to exercise.

> 3) Obey the Bible...and dont hold grudges or bury our anger

I don't believe in that stuff.

> 4) Fast...a couple times a week. Give our bodies a chance to heal by drinking ONLY water. The best I have ever felt in the last 10 years...was last year right after I did a 10 day,liquid only fast.
>

Good for you. I like food too much.

> 5)Avoid alcohol...it is a poisen.

Except for beer & wine, they are good for you.

> 6) Get plenty of fresh outside air and sunshine
> * VERY IMPORTANT*

I hate the sun.

>
> Just my opinions...dont kill the messenger.
>
> Buckeye Fan
>
>

You should post this stuff in the alternative section, this section is for people that take drugs.

Cheers,
Panda.


 

You know, I find this really insensitive Buckeye Fan

Posted by Racer on May 14, 2004, at 12:55:15

In reply to Re: Meds, posted by Buckeye Fan on May 14, 2004, at 10:37:32

First of all, this is the medication board. That suggests that we might be people who are trying medications. We might have mixed feelings about those meds, but for whatever reason, we've decided to try them. Your post certainly seems to suggest that we're going about this the wrong way. In fact, I read some of your statements as saying that there was ONE RIGHT WAY to health, for everyone. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I finished reading your post, I felt pretty guilty, shamed, and hopeless, since so many of your points are good, but are beyond my present capabilities. So, the only way to get well is to do things that I can't do? In other words, it's my own fault I'm sick, since here is the way to get better and I'm just not doing it.

I'm glad this method worked for you -- although I notice that you used the meds first, do you think that they might have helped you enough to allow you to do these things that constitute the ONE TRUE PATH TO HEALTH FOR EVERYONE? I do, however, think it might be thoughtful of you to consider the audience you're addressing before making such sweeping statements.

 

There is such a state as sick

Posted by linkadge on May 14, 2004, at 13:37:57

In reply to You know, I find this really insensitive Buckeye Fan, posted by Racer on May 14, 2004, at 12:55:15

Incase you havn't heard of a little thing called genetics. These nasty gentetics don't deal us a great hand of cards to begin with. That meaning that our state of well - will never be other's state of well.

Do you tell someone with diabeties not to take their insulin ?? A visually impaired, not to wear their glasses ?, A person with alzheimers not to take their meds ? Do you tell them to just drink water, read the bible and hope for the best ?

I don't think so. God provided us with docotors, so why not use what has been provided.

If you're going to condemn anditepressants by virtue of religion then, I don't want to see you taking an aspirin ever again.

Where do draw the line ?? Use what works..period.

Linkadge


 

Re: Meds

Posted by slinky on May 14, 2004, at 14:50:52

In reply to Re: Meds, posted by Buckeye Fan on May 14, 2004, at 10:37:32


> 1) Eat right ( natural foods produced by the Earth
Organic veg..fruit..mainly only function foods..unless I need a treat..strong indian food-pizza
Take 13 vitamins/minerals

2) Exercise hard...every day
I do ..spend the next 2/3 days in bed with flu symptoms..only to try again

> 3) Obey the Bible...and dont hold grudges or bury our anger

I'll skip that one

> 4) Fast...a couple times a week. Give our bodies a chance to heal by drinking ONLY water. The best I have ever felt in the last 10 years...was last year right after I did a 10 day,liquid only fast.
Can't fast on meds..I drink loads of water

> 5)Avoid alcohol...it is a poisen.
Recovering alcholoic 5 years clean-except 3 binges

> 6) Get plenty of fresh outside air and sunshine
> * VERY IMPORTANT*
Spend time in the garden..digging
Your entitled to your opininions...wish I never read this..Hope your health continues..best wishes.
..I'm still working on it.

 

Redirect: No Meds

Posted by Dr. Bob on May 15, 2004, at 2:40:08

In reply to Re: Meds Buckeye Fan, posted by Sad Panda on May 14, 2004, at 12:37:39

> You should post this stuff in the alternative section, this section is for people that take drugs.

Actually, I'd like to redirect this thread to Psycho-Social-Babble. Here's a link:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/social/20040507/msgs/347040.html

Thanks,

Bob

 

Re: Meds Sad Panda

Posted by harryp on May 15, 2004, at 3:14:24

In reply to Re: Meds Buckeye Fan, posted by Sad Panda on May 14, 2004, at 8:33:41

Hey Panda, I'm glad you aren't getting the emotional numbing effect. What meds are you taking?

 

Re: Meds harryp

Posted by Sad Panda on May 15, 2004, at 5:58:03

In reply to Re: Meds Sad Panda, posted by harryp on May 15, 2004, at 3:14:24

> Hey Panda, I'm glad you aren't getting the emotional numbing effect. What meds are you taking?
>
>

Hi Harry,

I take 225mg of Effexor XR & 30mg of Remeron. Effexor has restored my will to live & has enabled me to enjoy average things again like TV, Music & Movies, but it's not perfect. I still have zero motivation & seem happy to be mediocre.

Cheers,
Panda.

 

Re: You know, I find this really insensitive

Posted by Buckeye Fan on May 15, 2004, at 7:40:25

In reply to You know, I find this really insensitive Buckeye Fan, posted by Racer on May 14, 2004, at 12:55:15

> First of all, this is the medication board. That suggests that we might be people who are trying medications. We might have mixed feelings about those meds, but for whatever reason, we've decided to try them. Your post certainly seems to suggest that we're going about this the wrong way. In fact, I read some of your statements as saying that there was ONE RIGHT WAY to health, for everyone. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I finished reading your post, I felt pretty guilty, shamed, and hopeless, since so many of your points are good, but are beyond my present capabilities. So, the only way to get well is to do things that I can't do? In other words, it's my own fault I'm sick, since here is the way to get better and I'm just not doing it.
>
> I'm glad this method worked for you -- although I notice that you used the meds first, do you think that they might have helped you enough to allow you to do these things that constitute the ONE TRUE PATH TO HEALTH FOR EVERYONE? I do, however, think it might be thoughtful of you to consider the audience you're addressing before making such sweeping statements.

*************************************************

Dear Racer,
Please re-read my post
"]Hey guys...I didnt mean to offend.
I just think there is substantial evidence ON THIS WEBPAGE and many other places, showing the rollercoaser ride that taking Meds for emotional disorders is ONE way to fix the problem...but not the Best way.

Dont forget...IM IN THE SAME BOAT WITH YOU
I AM ON THEM TOO
However.....I realize that MOST of us could be cured if we do the Following:

1) Eat right ( natural foods produced by the Earth
2) Exercise hard...every day
3) Obey the Bible...and dont hold grudges or bury our anger
4) Fast...a couple times a week. Give our bodies a chance to heal by drinking ONLY water. The best I have ever felt in the last 10 years...was last year right after I did a 10 day,liquid only fast.
5)Avoid alcohol...it is a poisen.
6) Get plenty of fresh outside air and sunshine
* VERY IMPORTANT*

Just my opinions...dont kill the messenger.

Buckeye Fan

************************************************
I didnt mean to be insensitve...Im with you guys......I am on these meds also.

Every case is different
I never stated "only 1 true way"...if I did, I retract it.

I was just trying to post some addittional ideas to help us all feel better.

No magic cures....just things folks did before
these Meds were invented, to help them cope.

Sorry I upset you

Sincerly
Buckeye Fan

 

Re: You know, I find this really insensitive Buckeye Fan

Posted by SLS on May 15, 2004, at 7:44:35

In reply to Re: You know, I find this really insensitive, posted by Buckeye Fan on May 15, 2004, at 7:40:25

> I didnt mean to be insensitve...Im with you guys......I am on these meds also.
>
> Every case is different
> I never stated "only 1 true way"...if I did, I retract it.
>
> I was just trying to post some addittional ideas to help us all feel better.
>
> No magic cures....just things folks did before
> these Meds were invented, to help them cope.
>
> Sorry I upset you
>
> Sincerly
> Buckeye Fan


No problem. Stick around.


- Scott

 

Re: Meds Sad Panda

Posted by harryp on May 15, 2004, at 10:33:49

In reply to Re: Meds harryp, posted by Sad Panda on May 15, 2004, at 5:58:03

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you are getting good results from Effexor and Remeron. Sorry about the amotivational effect, but just getting a break from the horrors of depression is worth a lot. Just enjoy life! I've found that to be a pretty worthwhile accomplishment.

(It also helps me to hear from people who have luck with those AD's, because my experience with them was far from pleasant, and you usually hear the horror stories on this board.)

 

Re: Meds harryp

Posted by Sad Panda on May 15, 2004, at 12:17:03

In reply to Re: Meds Sad Panda, posted by harryp on May 15, 2004, at 10:33:49

> Thanks! I'm glad to hear you are getting good results from Effexor and Remeron. Sorry about the amotivational effect, but just getting a break from the horrors of depression is worth a lot. Just enjoy life! I've found that to be a pretty worthwhile accomplishment.
>
> (It also helps me to hear from people who have luck with those AD's, because my experience with them was far from pleasant, and you usually hear the horror stories on this board.)
>
>

I tried 300mg of Effexor & found relief from the 'leaden paralysis' that I didn't know I had, it was actually easier to get up & do things, but it had a terrible effect on my memory, so I had to go back to 225mg. I'm waiting to see a endocrinoligist about getting some Thyroxine.

Cheers,
Panda.


 

Sad Panda

Posted by poppi on May 16, 2004, at 2:33:07

In reply to Re: Meds harryp, posted by Sad Panda on May 15, 2004, at 12:17:03


Please expand your thoughts on "leaden paralysis' that I didn't know I had". If that means a case of the dead arse then I suffer from it. Have been treated for depression for a year now and still don't really have my want to back. Feel fairly good but still just don't have the desire to do things that once gave me pleasure!

poppi

 

Re: Sad Panda poppi

Posted by Sad Panda on May 16, 2004, at 11:38:07

In reply to Sad Panda, posted by poppi on May 16, 2004, at 2:33:07

>
> Please expand your thoughts on "leaden paralysis' that I didn't know I had". If that means a case of the dead arse then I suffer from it. Have been treated for depression for a year now and still don't really have my want to back. Feel fairly good but still just don't have the desire to do things that once gave me pleasure!
>
> poppi
>

Hi Poppi,

What drugs are you taking? :) You say that you 'Feel fairly good but still just don't have the desire to do things that once gave me pleasure!'. Is that physical thing you use to like doing like working on a car, house, gardening, sking, bush walking, surfing or non-physical things like listening to music, going to movies, watching videos at friends places?

'Leaden paralysis' is a symptom of atypical depression that I didn't think I had. I thought I had become 150% lazy, but high dose Effexor made it very much easier to do physical things like go for a walk. Unfortunately I could not handle the higher dose & had to settle for a lesser amount.

Cheers,
Panda.


 

Re: Sad Panda

Posted by poppi on May 17, 2004, at 2:00:39

In reply to Re: Sad Panda poppi, posted by Sad Panda on May 16, 2004, at 11:38:07

"Leaden paralysis"

Please tell me more. Meethinks mee got this in a bad way. Been a year now with this depression crap and am tired of it. Effexor has been a godsend for me but I still don't have the want to to do the things that I used to enjoy. Fishing for an example, have to hook up to the boat a drive to the lake and launch and motor around the lake looking for a calm spot! That didn't bother me in the past but now I cannot make myself do it.

For months I couldn't bear even the thought of yard work but now I do it to the point of mania. Only thing that has slowed me up on that was a tumble from the top step of a five foot ladder. My back is better now and all I can see when I look outside is yard jobs that need to be done!

I do not enjoy yard work, never have. I did once enjoy fishing enormously! What is wrong with this picture?

Is it "Leaden paralysis"?

I do not know

Please tell me if you do know!!!

poppi

 

Re: Sad Panda poppi

Posted by Sad Panda on May 17, 2004, at 4:25:16

In reply to Re: Sad Panda, posted by poppi on May 17, 2004, at 2:00:39

> "Leaden paralysis"
>
> Please tell me more. Meethinks mee got this in a bad way. Been a year now with this depression crap and am tired of it. Effexor has been a godsend for me but I still don't have the want to to do the things that I used to enjoy. Fishing for an example, have to hook up to the boat a drive to the lake and launch and motor around the lake looking for a calm spot! That didn't bother me in the past but now I cannot make myself do it.
>
> For months I couldn't bear even the thought of yard work but now I do it to the point of mania. Only thing that has slowed me up on that was a tumble from the top step of a five foot ladder. My back is better now and all I can see when I look outside is yard jobs that need to be done!
>
> I do not enjoy yard work, never have. I did once enjoy fishing enormously! What is wrong with this picture?
>
> Is it "Leaden paralysis"?
>
> I do not know
>
> Please tell me if you do know!!!
>
> poppi
>

Hi Poppi,

You say "For months I couldn't bear even the thought of yard work" that is 'leaden paralysis'

If you don't want to go fishing & you get no pleasure from fishing anymore, then that is 'anhedonia'.

Anhedonia & leaden paralysis are both symptoms of depression.

I take Effexor too, it has mostly solved my anhedonia problems, but I still have leaden paralysis, my yard looks like a jungle. Essentially we are opposite in these two cases. What other symptoms do you have? Do you overeat or undereat? Getting fatter or thinner? Sleeping too much or not enough?

Cheers,
Panda.


 

Re: Sad Panda poppi

Posted by SLS on May 17, 2004, at 7:46:21

In reply to Re: Sad Panda, posted by poppi on May 17, 2004, at 2:00:39

leaden paralysis:

The arms or legs feel heavy as though made of lead and difficult to move.


http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/path/leadenparalysis.htm


- Scott

 

Re: Sad Panda SLS

Posted by Sad Panda on May 17, 2004, at 10:54:58

In reply to Re: Sad Panda poppi, posted by SLS on May 17, 2004, at 7:46:21

> leaden paralysis:
>
> The arms or legs feel heavy as though made of lead and difficult to move.
>
>
> http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/path/leadenparalysis.htm
>
>
> - Scott
>

Exactly. I didn't think I had that until I went from 225 up to 300 & back down to 225mg of Effexor. I thought things were difficult to do because I am fat & lazy. 300mg of Effexor felt great! I could get stuff done! going back to 225mg has been a bit of a bummer. :/

Cheers,
Panda.


 

Re: Sad Panda Sad Panda

Posted by SLS on May 17, 2004, at 11:10:48

In reply to Re: Sad Panda SLS, posted by Sad Panda on May 17, 2004, at 10:54:58


> Exactly. I didn't think I had that until I went from 225 up to 300 & back down to 225mg of Effexor. I thought things were difficult to do because I am fat & lazy. 300mg of Effexor felt great! I could get stuff done! going back to 225mg has been a bit of a bummer. :/

Panda, you are so knowledgable and resourseful and accurate when troubleshooting the problems of others, I can't believe you haven't found a way to maintain the 300mg. What exactly do you experience when you increase the dosage?


- Scott

 

Re: Sad Panda SLS

Posted by Sad Panda on May 17, 2004, at 11:28:51

In reply to Re: Sad Panda Sad Panda, posted by SLS on May 17, 2004, at 11:10:48

>
> > Exactly. I didn't think I had that until I went from 225 up to 300 & back down to 225mg of Effexor. I thought things were difficult to do because I am fat & lazy. 300mg of Effexor felt great! I could get stuff done! going back to 225mg has been a bit of a bummer. :/
>
> Panda, you are so knowledgable and resourseful and accurate when troubleshooting the problems of others, I can't believe you haven't found a way to maintain the 300mg. What exactly do you experience when you increase the dosage?
>
>
> - Scott
>

Thanks for the praise Scott :) I don't think my advice is that good!

300mg boosted my blood pressure a little, which was no drama, but it did bad things to my memory. The longer I stayed at 300, the worse it got, I gave up after 4 weeks. I am waiting to see an endocrinoligist, get to see him this coming friday. I maybe a little hypothyroid(high TSH, average T3 & T4 levels) & I am hoping that a little Thyroxine will do the trick. I'll probably get my testosterone & cortisol tested too.

I am hoping to augment my Effexor enough that I can drop down to 150mg, after experiencing bad brain fade at 300mg I realise that I'm actually having very mild memory problems at 225mg. If thyroxine doesn't work I would like to try a little Reboxetine or Nortriptyline, but I doubt that my doc's are going to allow me to take three AD's at the same time.

Cheers,
Panda.


 

Re: Sad Panda Sad Panda

Posted by SLS on May 17, 2004, at 11:41:57

In reply to Re: Sad Panda SLS, posted by Sad Panda on May 17, 2004, at 11:28:51


> 300mg boosted my blood pressure a little, which was no drama, but it did bad things to my memory. The longer I stayed at 300, the worse it got, I gave up after 4 weeks. I am waiting to see an endocrinoligist, get to see him this coming friday. I maybe a little hypothyroid(high TSH, average T3 & T4 levels) & I am hoping that a little Thyroxine will do the trick.

You must be a mind reader!

> I'll probably get my testosterone & cortisol tested too.

What sort of cortisol test? Have you ever done the DST (dexamethasone suppression test)?


> If thyroxine doesn't work I would like to try a little Reboxetine or Nortriptyline, but I doubt that my doc's are going to allow me to take three AD's at the same time.

Two's enough, three's a crowd, four's too many, and five's not allowed? :-)

I had a bad reaction to reboxetine. It gave me anxiety and put me in a serious suicidal state. I was at 8mg. Of course, well, you know (we're all different). What about Lamictal?


- Scott

 

Re: Sad Panda SLS

Posted by Sad Panda on May 17, 2004, at 11:59:56

In reply to Re: Sad Panda Sad Panda, posted by SLS on May 17, 2004, at 11:41:57

> What sort of cortisol test? Have you ever done the DST (dexamethasone suppression test)?
>

Never done that one, I don't know what it is either. In the past I have had the 24 hour urine collection test.

> Two's enough, three's a crowd, four's too many, and five's not allowed? :-)
>

LOL! :)

> I had a bad reaction to reboxetine. It gave me anxiety and put me in a serious suicidal state. I was at 8mg. Of course, well, you know (we're all different).
>

People with positive stories about Reboxetine are so rare, but Rebox & Nort are the only NRI's I can get. The only other stimulating med I can get is Parnate & I doubt I could get a doc to give it to me.

> What about Lamictal?
>

It's only for epileptics here, unless I want to pay big $$$ for it. I am lucky that I'm not bipolar as the choices are lithium or lithium.

Cheers,
Panda.


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.