Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 109458

Shown: posts 2691 to 2715 of 8406. Go back in thread:

 

Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl (nm)

Posted by oregon on April 23, 2003, at 10:43:12

In reply to Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by pumpkin on April 20, 2003, at 20:16:19

 

Anyone tried Lexapro liquid solution?

Posted by sidney on April 23, 2003, at 18:09:43

In reply to Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by lil' jimi on April 16, 2003, at 14:35:28

I have significant drug sensitivity and my doctor has prescribed Lexapro in a liquid solution so that I can take extremely small doses (as low as .1 mg) and work my way up to 5 mg (or slightly more) over an extended period of time. This makes sense to me, but I'm having anxiety about taking a new drug (which of course was prescribed to treat my anxiety problem in the first place!)

Has anyone tried Lexapro in liquid form? Does it cost more that the regular pills?

-sid

 

No Insurance. Where can I buy Lexapro cheap?

Posted by johnnylex on April 23, 2003, at 18:29:07

In reply to Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by Dr. Bob on June 11, 2002, at 7:52:48

I am on 20mg of Lexapro and have found significant relief from anxiety/depression since last September. I am having trouble affording this medication since I have no insurance. I am paying $179 for 90 pills right now (which is after shopping around!).

Is there anyway/place to find it cheaper? Sometimes my doctor will give me some trial packs, but I feel foolish calling his office each month to ask for handouts.

 

Re: No Insurance. Where can I buy Lexapro cheap?

Posted by blkvettes on April 23, 2003, at 18:38:23

In reply to No Insurance. Where can I buy Lexapro cheap?, posted by johnnylex on April 23, 2003, at 18:29:07

> I am on 20mg of Lexapro and have found significant relief from anxiety/depression since last September. I am having trouble affording this medication since I have no insurance. I am paying $179 for 90 pills right now (which is after shopping around!).
>
> Is there anyway/place to find it cheaper? Sometimes my doctor will give me some trial packs, but I feel foolish calling his office each month to ask for handouts.

Hi keeping getting the trial packs for free as long as you can. My insurance would not cover lexapro for awhile but now they do. But trial packs were offered to me. Just keep taking those free packs and dont feel foolish. The doctors know a lot of people dont have insurance, your not the only one. Cant answer your question on the best price. Glad lexapro is working for you.

 

Re: Anyone tried Lexapro liquid solution? sidney

Posted by leeran on April 23, 2003, at 18:39:34

In reply to Anyone tried Lexapro liquid solution?, posted by sidney on April 23, 2003, at 18:09:43

Hi there,

Wow, I didn't know Lexapro was available in a liquid solution! That would sure beat cutting those "little to start with" pills in halves or quarters.

I wish I had an answer for you regarding liquid Lexapro. I remember liking the accuracy of liquid medicine when my son was younger. I hope it works for you.

I found this board a month ago doing a Google search for Lexapro. I started Lexapro, stayed on for a week, went off, and started again two nights ago. It seems that many people here have done quite well on Lexapro. I know my psychiatrist seems sold on it. I'm taking half of what I started at a month ago (10 then, now 5 mg) and I take it about 8:00 in the evening. When I tried it a month ago I was taking the dosage in the morning, but it seemed to make me less spacy/spacey when I switched to evening.

I understand your apprehension about starting on something new or different. I felt the same way, which is how I found myself here. I'm restarting Lexapro because I mistakenly went off of Wellbutrin cold turkey, thinking that Lexapro would replace Wellbutrin.

Actually, during the three weeks since my cessation of Lexapro I was really encouraged by the numerous positive posts I read here on the board. A few weeks of not taking the Lexapor and just casually reading the posts (versus looking for every little/big side effect during the week I was taking it) kind of calmed me down a bit.

I was encouraged by the progress of one paricular poster, so I followed his "trail" back to the beginning of his experience and it was so encouraging to see his progression (in fast forward) on Lexapro.

Good luck!

 

Lexapro and Pregnancy

Posted by mkvelocity on April 24, 2003, at 9:07:12

In reply to Re: Anyone tried Lexapro liquid solution? sidney, posted by leeran on April 23, 2003, at 18:39:34

Has anyone been pregnant and still taking Lexapro? If not, does anyone know of a website that might have any information on it?

 

Re: Lexapro and Pregnancy

Posted by blkvettes on April 24, 2003, at 13:27:17

In reply to Lexapro and Pregnancy, posted by mkvelocity on April 24, 2003, at 9:07:12

> Has anyone been pregnant and still taking Lexapro? If not, does anyone know of a website that might have any information on it?


Hi there, the best thing to do is talk to the doctor and maybe more than one doctor. You can also call the company that makes the drug. I would not breastfeed the baby!!!!! Hard decision to make and hope all goes well.

 

Re: Lexapro and Pregnancy mkvelocity

Posted by Kar on April 24, 2003, at 13:54:56

In reply to Lexapro and Pregnancy, posted by mkvelocity on April 24, 2003, at 9:07:12

Hi. i recently went to a genetic counselor for that reason, although i'm not on Lexapro. I'm on Lamictal, Trileptal and prozac. My pdoc purposefully switched me to Prozac in anticipation of pregnancy because it is known to be a lot safer than many ADs. And I guess they've done more studies. Zoloft is the best one for breastfeeding. i don't have any websites offhand but a Google search will probably lead you in the right direction. The manufacturer's info will only tell you what "category" a drug is (this is related to number and extent of safety studies and results). The mood stabilizers are more of a concern than the ADs. Even some of the pregnancy sites out there like "Babymed" and "IVillage" have some info on ADs during pregnancy. Use of them is becoming much more prevalent because obviously there are situations where it would be more harmful for the mom and the baby if the mom were off all drugs. i know I won't be able to be. My pdoc recommended the genetic counselor. She sent me home with tons of up to date info and she knew more current studies than i could get from pdoc, on the internet or at the library.
I'll look into the websites that I checked out though...
Good luck!

 

Re: Lexapro and Pregnancy

Posted by blkvettes on April 24, 2003, at 18:56:14

In reply to Lexapro and Pregnancy, posted by mkvelocity on April 24, 2003, at 9:07:12

> Has anyone been pregnant and still taking Lexapro? If not, does anyone know of a website that might have any information on it?

Here is a link to get you started and you can do a custom search!!!!!!!
http://mbsearch.web.aol.com/sindex.adp?p=1&dateType=0&res=1&lang=English&dateBegin=dd%2fmm%2fyy&sFormat=concise&sAll=1&dateEnd=dd%2fmm%2fyy&sLang=English&sType=quick&metaDone=1&dateCurrent=0&mbid=0&sSpec=and&query=pregnancy%20and%20antidepressants&sOrder=1&timeout=50

 

LEXAPRO NEWSFLASH

Posted by dr. dave on April 25, 2003, at 5:29:49

In reply to Re: Lexapro and Pregnancy, posted by blkvettes on April 24, 2003, at 18:56:14

Authorities in the UK have ruled that the claim that Lexapro is more effective than Celexa in treating depression is not justified. This claim can no longer be made as there is not seen to be adequate data supporting it.

Similarly, a claim that Lexapro has fewer side-effects than Celexa was ruled to be misleading and is no longer allowed.

 

Re: LEXAPRO NEWSFLASH dr. dave

Posted by Geezer on April 25, 2003, at 10:09:50

In reply to LEXAPRO NEWSFLASH, posted by dr. dave on April 25, 2003, at 5:29:49

> Authorities in the UK have ruled that the claim that Lexapro is more effective than Celexa in treating depression is not justified. This claim can no longer be made as there is not seen to be adequate data supporting it.
>
> Similarly, a claim that Lexapro has fewer side-effects than Celexa was ruled to be misleading and is no longer allowed.

Bravo for the Brits! I have seen no PROOF of improved efficacy in SSRI's since Prozac. A little more science and a little less hyp. would be nice.

 

Re: My experiences with Lexapro and Celexa Luziluna

Posted by Dragonfly Sidhe on April 25, 2003, at 10:13:37

In reply to Re: My experiences with Lexapro and Celexa, posted by Luziluna on April 19, 2003, at 18:44:58

Hello,
I am very happy to have found this site also, as I am getting no where with my Dr. and hope that someone has some guidance for me. Recently my PCC prescribed Lexapro for me as I had been suffering from anxiety do to stress on the job. Previously I had been on Welbutrin which worked well for my mild SAD and PMDD. But I had gradually weaned myself off as winter was drawing to an end. Well after 19 days on the Lexapro 10mg x1, I have lost the ability to acheive an orgasm during any sexual activity. I should mention that I am a 39yo female, and have never ever had a problem in this area ever before in my life. Needless to say I became horrified and panic stricken and called my Dr. and her solution was to add Welbutrin back on board; 150SR x1. I have to say that the prescribing Dr. is only a general physician, and I am not being followed by a psychiatrist at all. How safe are these medication management approaches? This sie effect was almost imediate for me and quite alarming and never an issue on Welbutrin. I am wondering if the Lexapro was such a good idea? Perhaps a rush to prescribe, perhaps over-kill, seeing that my source of stress is situational, work related and that perhaps I should just return to what worked in the first place which was Welbutrin 150SR x2? Any thoughts out there??? Any suggestions in the physical and sexual response department?
Thanks

 

Lexapro and Celexa

Posted by brandij on April 25, 2003, at 10:48:45

In reply to Re: My experiences with Lexapro and Celexa Luziluna, posted by Dragonfly Sidhe on April 25, 2003, at 10:13:37

I was on 60mg of Celexa up until this past January, and now i am taking 20mg of Lexapro, and i have to say the side effects are fewer, and i have much better results with a much lower dose, i have no sexual functioning problems, which is a side effect of depression and anxiety in itself. My family and fiance call this my miracle pill, i have a depressive disorder and affects their lives and our relationships as well as my life, and Lexapro has done wonders for my motivation, overall mood, anxiety, attention span, focus, and life in general. I get a bit of nausea if i take it without food but it won't stop me from taking Lexapro. I am sure it won't work for everone, nothing does, but for me, Lexapro has given me back my edge on life, and i feel i have more control when i take it.

 

re: sedation Dragonfly Sidhe

Posted by MattD on April 25, 2003, at 18:56:59

In reply to Re: My experiences with Lexapro and Celexa Luziluna, posted by Dragonfly Sidhe on April 25, 2003, at 10:13:37

Wellbutrin is a good medicine for SAD--it's quite activating. It's not very good on anxiety; in many cases it can make it worse. Lexapro is better on anxiety. But, Lexapro, like other SSRIs can cause anorgasmia. It's supposed to be better than other SSRIs in this department, but the drug is new, and even if it generally is, it may not be for you. Anyway, it is standard practice to add W to an SSRI for sexual side-effects. It can be quite helpful, though again, not for all. Wellbutrin on its own tends to boost sex drive and sometime performance (especially in females). So you've gone from a drug that, if anything, was sexually helpful, to one which isn't at all. I'm sure the change is striking.

Sometimes after a while sexual side effects can go away with SSRIs (or at least diminish).

A couple possibilities--go back on Wellbutrin and add a benzodiazepine like Klonopin for the anxiety.

Or, I know that a number of women in your situation will take Viagra--it makes it easier for many women to orgasm.

Good luck,

Matt

> Hello,
> I am very happy to have found this site also, as I am getting no where with my Dr. and hope that someone has some guidance for me. Recently my PCC prescribed Lexapro for me as I had been suffering from anxiety do to stress on the job. Previously I had been on Welbutrin which worked well for my mild SAD and PMDD. But I had gradually weaned myself off as winter was drawing to an end. Well after 19 days on the Lexapro 10mg x1, I have lost the ability to acheive an orgasm during any sexual activity. I should mention that I am a 39yo female, and have never ever had a problem in this area ever before in my life. Needless to say I became horrified and panic stricken and called my Dr. and her solution was to add Welbutrin back on board; 150SR x1. I have to say that the prescribing Dr. is only a general physician, and I am not being followed by a psychiatrist at all. How safe are these medication management approaches? This sie effect was almost imediate for me and quite alarming and never an issue on Welbutrin. I am wondering if the Lexapro was such a good idea? Perhaps a rush to prescribe, perhaps over-kill, seeing that my source of stress is situational, work related and that perhaps I should just return to what worked in the first place which was Welbutrin 150SR x2? Any thoughts out there??? Any suggestions in the physical and sexual response department?
> Thanks

 

Re: Lexapro and Pregnancy

Posted by Donia on April 26, 2003, at 22:54:15

In reply to Re: Lexapro and Pregnancy, posted by blkvettes on April 24, 2003, at 13:27:17

I would seriously consider whether any of the ADs should be taken while pregnant and breastfeeding. I dont think they know enough about what these meds can do to us, let alone a baby. I dont think I would do it.

 

RE: Advice

Posted by Donia on April 26, 2003, at 22:57:02

In reply to RE: Advice, posted by pumpkin on April 22, 2003, at 12:03:52

I have noticed lexapro has really helped my panic attacks. More than it has my depression actually. I can even go to the dentist now!! lol

 

Re: LEXAPRO NEWSFLASH

Posted by vandy on April 27, 2003, at 10:11:16

In reply to LEXAPRO NEWSFLASH, posted by dr. dave on April 25, 2003, at 5:29:49

> Authorities in the UK have ruled that the claim that Lexapro is more effective than Celexa in treating depression is not justified. This claim can no longer be made as there is not seen to be adequate data supporting it.
>

"Authorities" = "They" (As in 'They say!') Do you have a link to a specific citation?

 

Re: Lexapro and Celexa

Posted by Luziluna on April 27, 2003, at 13:11:35

In reply to Lexapro and Celexa, posted by brandij on April 25, 2003, at 10:48:45

I am so glad to hear that others are having success with Lexapro, because I surely am, I am so happy to report!!!

I am on 5 mgs and have had such a good response that my doc told me I could stay on that dosage indefinitely, as long as it keeps working for me.

I haven't had any sexual side effects that I have noticed, was a little sleepy at first, but that has worn off as I have continued. The best part is, I feel like my world has, literally, opened up for me again. I told my doctor that I almost felt that my peripheral vision had improved, because I feel like I literally see more now! I think that I was so emotionally "tunnel visioned" that it was limiting my life!

The best part for me has been the effect on my sleeping. I sleep better and sounder than I have in years!! And I dream again!! Not bad dreams, not particularly vivid- though more vivid than before. But, I wake up and actually feel rested!! What a great thing- to get 8 hours of sleep and actually feel like it!!

Anyway, just wanted to report on my progress- I hope Lexapro can work for others the way it has for me..

 

Re: Lexapro and Pregnancy

Posted by pumpkin on April 27, 2003, at 19:59:54

In reply to Re: Lexapro and Pregnancy, posted by Donia on April 26, 2003, at 22:54:15

I think that when it comes to AD's and pregnancy
one should talk to their doctor.

I HAD to be on AD's when I was pregnant with my
nine year old daughter. I also breastfed too.
Things worked out for me- thank the Lord! Sometimes there isen't a "choice". For me, there
wasen't. I think that extra precaution should be
taken, and that your doctor better know and be
VERY knowledgable about these type of meds too!

 

Re: Lexapro and Celexa

Posted by cjal on April 27, 2003, at 20:10:50

In reply to Re: Lexapro and Celexa, posted by Luziluna on April 27, 2003, at 13:11:35

It's interesting that you mention the dreams. I am finally seeing outstanding results on the 20 mgs dose (been two weeks straight of feeling like I have my life back). I have noticed that I am having much more vivid dreams more frequently, and remembering them in the morning. Has anyone else noticed changes in dream patterns?

> I am so glad to hear that others are having success with Lexapro, because I surely am, I am so happy to report!!!
>
> I am on 5 mgs and have had such a good response that my doc told me I could stay on that dosage indefinitely, as long as it keeps working for me.
>
> I haven't had any sexual side effects that I have noticed, was a little sleepy at first, but that has worn off as I have continued. The best part is, I feel like my world has, literally, opened up for me again. I told my doctor that I almost felt that my peripheral vision had improved, because I feel like I literally see more now! I think that I was so emotionally "tunnel visioned" that it was limiting my life!
>
> The best part for me has been the effect on my sleeping. I sleep better and sounder than I have in years!! And I dream again!! Not bad dreams, not particularly vivid- though more vivid than before. But, I wake up and actually feel rested!! What a great thing- to get 8 hours of sleep and actually feel like it!!
>
> Anyway, just wanted to report on my progress- I hope Lexapro can work for others the way it has for me..

 

Re: Lexapro and Celexa

Posted by Donia on April 27, 2003, at 20:20:05

In reply to Re: Lexapro and Celexa, posted by cjal on April 27, 2003, at 20:10:50

For the past month my dreams have been so vivid and crazy, I think I could sell them as movie scripts!! lol I have been on lexapro about 3 and a half months.

 

Re: effexor ayuda

Posted by conniemert on April 27, 2003, at 23:38:49

In reply to Re: effexor annlanka, posted by ayuda on March 26, 2003, at 19:01:47

I have been on 225mg of effexor for 4 years. I started hitting some lows so i went to the doctor. I have recently been prescribed 10 mg lexapro with the effexor. It has only been 7 days since i have started the lexapro and i am feeling GREAT!. I hope it lasts.

Effexor was my miracle drug 4 years ago when nothing else seemed to work or had to many side effects. I hope you do well on the effexor, i did.

I think that after so long, your body doesnt utilize the medication to its full potential or you become somewhat immune to it and you have to add something else to get the same results.

good luck

 

Lexapro-Possibly side effect???

Posted by DC on April 28, 2003, at 11:42:29

In reply to Re: Wish I could JaneB, posted by Ritch on June 11, 2002, at 23:04:41

Has anyone heard of Lexapro possibly having a side
effect that it basically disturbs a woman's "cycle"?
I have been on Lexapro for about 2-1/2 months and just
recently was upgraded to 20mg daily and I just
basically missed my "time of the month" LOL. I have
taken 7, yes seven, home tests and all have come
back negative. My doctor is on vacation and just
wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen?
Thanks

 

Lexapro and Bruising

Posted by DC on April 28, 2003, at 12:00:38

In reply to Re: Wish I could JaneB, posted by Ritch on June 11, 2002, at 23:04:41

I have also noticed since starting Lexapro I am bruising at the
drop of a hat. I won't feel a thing and just look down and notice
several bruises. They don't hurt, but they just look like I've
been beat up? Some of these bruises are sometimes rather dark
ones. Or just a simple tap or hit makes me bruise VERY easily.
For instance my dog jumped up on me, as he has done MANY times and
shortly after I had a huge mark from his paw. Anyone else have this
sort of side effect?

 

Re: New to Lexapro

Posted by shiloh3210 on April 28, 2003, at 13:41:12

In reply to Re: New to Lexapro, posted by jaycee on January 10, 2003, at 6:09:33

My docotr has tried to put me on Sarafem(Prozac), Celexa, Wellbutrin and now Lexapro for PMS. I am sorry but the side effects are just not worth it. It seems now a day doctors will give you just about anything :-(


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.