Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 132475

Shown: posts 1 to 9 of 9. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Prozac to Effexor

Posted by JJ12 on December 19, 2002, at 9:20:38

Hi,

Just recently switched from Prozac (30 mg/day) to Effexor XR.
I was doing really well on Prozac, but noticed that I tended to be quite anxious about things that I really shouldn't be. So my doc switched me to Effexor. I am starting with the starter pack and then have a prescription for 75 mg/day.

I am not sleeping - I sleep for periods of 3 hours at a time during the night and then wake up. I am eating constantly. I don't know if I should attribute this to the change in meds or just me being me. I want my prozac back!!!

I don't want to go back to the doc - am thinking about stopping and working my way back up to the 30 mg dose of prozac.

Any advice?

 

Re: Prozac to Effexor JJ12

Posted by Ritch on December 19, 2002, at 21:21:16

In reply to Prozac to Effexor, posted by JJ12 on December 19, 2002, at 9:20:38

> Hi,
>
> Just recently switched from Prozac (30 mg/day) to Effexor XR.
> I was doing really well on Prozac, but noticed that I tended to be quite anxious about things that I really shouldn't be. So my doc switched me to Effexor. I am starting with the starter pack and then have a prescription for 75 mg/day.
>
> I am not sleeping - I sleep for periods of 3 hours at a time during the night and then wake up. I am eating constantly. I don't know if I should attribute this to the change in meds or just me being me. I want my prozac back!!!
>
> I don't want to go back to the doc - am thinking about stopping and working my way back up to the 30 mg dose of prozac.
>
> Any advice?

You pretty much said it all: "I was doing quite well on Prozac.." I would bug your doc about switching back. Perhaps some CBT therapy for the "worry" issues?

 

Re: Prozac to Effexor

Posted by JJ12 on December 20, 2002, at 13:18:16

In reply to Re: Prozac to Effexor JJ12, posted by Ritch on December 19, 2002, at 21:21:16


> You pretty much said it all: "I was doing quite well on Prozac.." I would bug your doc about switching back. Perhaps some CBT therapy for the "worry" issues?
>
>

Thanks... I went to the doc today and I'm going back to the Prozac (she upped it to 40mg). What is CBT?

 

Re: Prozac to Effexor JJ12

Posted by Ritch on December 20, 2002, at 19:33:46

In reply to Re: Prozac to Effexor, posted by JJ12 on December 20, 2002, at 13:18:16

>
> > You pretty much said it all: "I was doing quite well on Prozac.." I would bug your doc about switching back. Perhaps some CBT therapy for the "worry" issues?
> >
> >
>
> Thanks... I went to the doc today and I'm going back to the Prozac (she upped it to 40mg). What is CBT?
>
>

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Do some searches on it, you will find all kinds of stuff.

 

Re: Prozac to Effexor JJ12

Posted by Mr.Scott on December 21, 2002, at 0:51:32

In reply to Prozac to Effexor, posted by JJ12 on December 19, 2002, at 9:20:38

One thing to consider is that for a while (several weeks) your actually going to be taking both of them until the prozac washes out.

 

Re: Prozac to Effexor

Posted by chad_3 on December 22, 2002, at 21:00:03

In reply to Prozac to Effexor, posted by JJ12 on December 19, 2002, at 9:20:38

Dude -

If you get more anxious on Effexor than Prozac - and Prozac is not too good - check out my site - do you have social phobia or GAD? IN any case you won't regret the good read...

Chad
http://www.socialfear.com/

> Hi,
>
> Just recently switched from Prozac (30 mg/day) to Effexor XR.
> I was doing really well on Prozac, but noticed that I tended to be quite anxious about things that I really shouldn't be. So my doc switched me to Effexor. I am starting with the starter pack and then have a prescription for 75 mg/day.
>
> I am not sleeping - I sleep for periods of 3 hours at a time during the night and then wake up. I am eating constantly. I don't know if I should attribute this to the change in meds or just me being me. I want my prozac back!!!
>
> I don't want to go back to the doc - am thinking about stopping and working my way back up to the 30 mg dose of prozac.
>
> Any advice?

 

Re: Prozac to Effexor

Posted by JJ12 on December 23, 2002, at 14:27:29

In reply to Re: Prozac to Effexor JJ12, posted by Mr.Scott on December 21, 2002, at 0:51:32

> One thing to consider is that for a while (several weeks) your actually going to be taking both of them until the prozac washes out.

So here is the scoop... for quiet a few months I was at 30 mg of prozac, which was working quite nicely, except for some anxiety (which I really didn't notice, but others did) - doc said to switch to effexor - here is what the plan was:
3 days at 20 mg of prozac
3 days at 10 mg of prozac
7 days at 37.5mg of effexor
4 days at 75 mg of effexor
didn't like effexor so after talking to doc, the next day started at 40 mg of prozac

On average, how long before effexor is out of my system? I've had some really intense headaches (I am on day 3 of 40 mg of prozac) that I attributed to the effexor, but is it because of the increase in the prozac? I hate this - I really don't feel like myself at all.

Thanks for any info or advice... JJ


 

Re: Prozac to Effexor JJ12

Posted by Mr.Scott on December 26, 2002, at 23:04:04

In reply to Re: Prozac to Effexor, posted by JJ12 on December 23, 2002, at 14:27:29

The Effexor will be gone without trace in five days. However......Prozac will prolong it's presence by partly blocking the enzymes in the liver required to eliminate the Effexor. I would stay clear of the Effexor and go back to 30 mg of Prozac or even 20 mg. Within a week or 10 days the whole process should be behind you, and then titrated up to 40mg might be worth trying. Thats my take on it, others may disagree.

Scott

 

Re: Prozac to Effexor Ritch

Posted by LynnPerley on December 28, 2002, at 23:17:05

In reply to Re: Prozac to Effexor JJ12, posted by Ritch on December 19, 2002, at 21:21:16

I had some bad side effects from Prozac that would not go away (jaw clenching). My doc had me quit Prozac cold turkey and start Effexor at 37.5 mg the same day. He said the Prozac would gradually get out of my system while the Effexor built up. Effexor leaves your body much faster than Prozac does.


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.