Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 109458

Shown: posts 1597 to 1621 of 8406. Go back in thread:

 

Re: Tense Muscles: upper back, neck and jaw Ritch

Posted by AnelizeDarkEyes on December 18, 2002, at 20:04:50

In reply to Re: Tense Muscles: upper back, neck and jaw newuser2, posted by Ritch on December 18, 2002, at 9:10:07

I found this post very interesting because I, too, am experiencing this particular phenomenon. I find it interesting that I have taken several of the other SSRI's (Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor) and have not experienced this phenomenon. I have chronic severe major depression which tends to be somewhat recalcitrant towards meds. After 3 years on Zoloft, my last year at 250mg, I have had two relapses in the last 4 months. So far, I have been on 10 mg of Lexapro for 9 days, and will be increased to 20 at the end of the week. Each day I've been on this stuff I've had the tension headache, neck, jaw pain thing going on. My other meds are 300mg of Topamax for mood stability and 75mg of Seroquel at night for sleep. They never have given me any trouble before. Frankly, I haven't had a headache in I don't know how long..Of course I'm going to have a little chat with my doctor about this, but I thought I'd throw this into the mix, and see if anyone ELSE is experiencing this phenomenon...

 

Re: Tense Muscles: upper back, neck and jaw AnelizeDarkEyes

Posted by EGR on December 18, 2002, at 20:30:30

In reply to Re: Tense Muscles: upper back, neck and jaw Ritch, posted by AnelizeDarkEyes on December 18, 2002, at 20:04:50

Well now, that IS interesting, because now that you've mentioned it, YES, my neck, jaw and shoulders/upper back have been tense... I never linked it to the lex. Let me ask all you veterans this... I've just been using a therapist and my GP... and I don't think my GP is well versed in this stuff because it seems to me that she's quick to switch meds. Would you guys recommend me finding a pdoc or sticking with the GP and maybe making med suggestions to her?

 

Re: Tense Muscles: upper back, neck and jaw

Posted by AnelizeDarkEyes on December 18, 2002, at 20:46:57

In reply to Re: Tense Muscles: upper back, neck and jaw AnelizeDarkEyes, posted by EGR on December 18, 2002, at 20:30:30

My personal feelings on the subject...with my issues. No-one better than a GOOD...no GREAT psycho-pharmacologist, and a great therapist. But I suppose that depends on your disorder, etc.

 

Re: Tense Muscles: upper back, neck and jaw EGR

Posted by Ritch on December 18, 2002, at 22:09:29

In reply to Re: Tense Muscles: upper back, neck and jaw AnelizeDarkEyes, posted by EGR on December 18, 2002, at 20:30:30

> Well now, that IS interesting, because now that you've mentioned it, YES, my neck, jaw and shoulders/upper back have been tense... I never linked it to the lex. Let me ask all you veterans this... I've just been using a therapist and my GP... and I don't think my GP is well versed in this stuff because it seems to me that she's quick to switch meds. Would you guys recommend me finding a pdoc or sticking with the GP and maybe making med suggestions to her?

I would hang in there with the GP for awhile, precisely because she is willing to make some med changes, especially if you are being treated for uncomplicated typical unipolar depression (which isn't severe). You could get stuck with a pdoc that will force you to wait out three full months on an AD that is flopping, which could be worse than switching too frequently. As far as the muscle tension issues go-you may as well just pick your poison with the SSRI's. I get a different muscle thing with every one of them. Right now, I find the Effexor stiff-neck-upper back muscle thing preferable to the other muscle sfx variations on other serotonergics.

 

Re: Lexapro and Wellbutrin

Posted by Kairos on December 19, 2002, at 0:03:56

In reply to Re: Lexapro and Wellbutrin Kairos, posted by me so tiny on December 18, 2002, at 6:03:19

Nothing personal here - but a MONTH? Between you, me, the pdoc and the fencepost - is anyone questioning the reality of these drugs??? I mean a MONTH! A MONTH of possible sleepiness to the point of falling asleep as I drive or type a post here or even knitting!

I am so discouraged - Is the "cure" worse than the problem?

I haven't had a intimate session with my mate in FOREVER - and what does the pdoc say? "Well that will work out when the right dose is achieved".

I asked my pdoc about changing meds to say Wellbutrin - he says to cut the Lex in half. No switches - so anohter three weeks here I come *damned near in tears here due to the high levels of frustration a nd negative impacts on my job and life in general!*

Guys - these drugs are . . . . highly questionable in my mind. I know that they work to some extent because my anxiety has all but disappeared - but I cannot tolerate the other aspects !

Kairos

 

Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl

Posted by Kairos on December 19, 2002, at 0:23:22

In reply to Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by pro4man on December 17, 2002, at 18:48:57

Pro4Man

And this was Lex? It is an Anti-Depressant - but MY Docs states it is for anxiety? Is there someone else that you can get a second opinion from?

Kairos

 

a 2-week long headache

Posted by luray on December 19, 2002, at 0:30:44

In reply to Re: Anyone taking lexapro for GAD?, posted by celesteloveage on November 1, 2002, at 12:42:25

i was on celexa for three to four years, and was relieved of my depression for some time, though i had sexual side effects, and was still tired all the time. within the last six months, the fatigue got worse, i get huge moodswings, and still have sse's. i was recently (2 weeks ago) switched to lexapro, and have had one big headache since. i have been weaning myself off of it, because my pc agreed to swith me to something else, can't remember the name. was wondering if anyone else experienced the headaches, and if lexapro causes the sse's also.

 

Re: Lexapro and Wellbutrin

Posted by EGR on December 19, 2002, at 8:40:52

In reply to Re: Lexapro and Wellbutrin, posted by Kairos on December 19, 2002, at 0:03:56

> Nothing personal here - but a MONTH? Between you, me, the pdoc and the fencepost - is anyone questioning the reality of these drugs??? I mean a MONTH! A MONTH of possible sleepiness to the point of falling asleep as I drive or type a post here or even knitting!
>
> I am so discouraged - Is the "cure" worse than the problem?
>
> I haven't had a intimate session with my mate in FOREVER - and what does the pdoc say? "Well that will work out when the right dose is achieved".
>
> I asked my pdoc about changing meds to say Wellbutrin - he says to cut the Lex in half. No switches - so anohter three weeks here I come *damned near in tears here due to the high levels of frustration a nd negative impacts on my job and life in general!*
>
> Guys - these drugs are . . . . highly questionable in my mind. I know that they work to some extent because my anxiety has all but disappeared - but I cannot tolerate the other aspects !
>
> Kairos

I'm with you Kairos! I think we're all guinea pigs for the pharmcos. Is it better to be "hulking out" than crying all day? Is it better to get no enjoyment out of sex than not want it? Is it better to sleep all day or stay awake all night because of drugs or because of the depression? I'm not sure at this point... I'm going to hang in a while longer... 6 months maybe... and see what happens, but I gotta believe this stuff is doing "bad things" to our bods as well. EGR

 

Question for MILLS

Posted by markmn on December 19, 2002, at 9:08:15

In reply to Re: lexapro question for all johnj, posted by ayuda on December 18, 2002, at 11:53:49

Hi Mills,

Why did you switch from Effexor to Lexapro if Eff worked so well for you? I'm just wondering because I'm considering switching from Lex to Effexor.

Thanks,
Mark

 

Re: Question for MILLS

Posted by mills on December 19, 2002, at 9:58:25

In reply to Question for MILLS, posted by markmn on December 19, 2002, at 9:08:15

I switched from Paxil (not Effexor) to Lexapro, and the reason was the sexual side effects only.

> Hi Mills,
>
> Why did you switch from Effexor to Lexapro if Eff worked so well for you? I'm just wondering because I'm considering switching from Lex to Effexor.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

 

Re: Cigarettes or Lexapro, Wellbutrin Sex? wharfrat

Posted by ayuda on December 19, 2002, at 10:07:36

In reply to Cigarettes or Lexapro, Wellbutrin Sex?, posted by wharfrat on December 18, 2002, at 16:06:58

> Oh what a tangled web we weave! Am going to see my doc about putting me on Wellbutrin to see if it will help with the sexual side effects of Lexapro. I'm sure he will do it because he's been nagging me about smoking since I started going to him. He really was disappointed when he got my blood work back and gave me a physical (41 years old by the way)and found no reason to say "smoking is going to kill you". Good cholesterol good, Bad cholesterol good, white cells good, red cells good, kidneys good, liver good, heart good, stress test good, anxiety and depression BAD!!.Lexapro good, sexual side effects BAD!! So now the choice is down to two of the only things that I really enjoy. Sex and cigarettes (That sounds pretty pathetic does'nt it?) So my question is, I've heard that wellbutrin just makes you not want to smoke anymore. What if I don't want to quit smoking but just want my sex life back? Is this like what they gave young Alex on A Clockwork Orange? Will I retch at the thought of a cigarette? Won't I be able to have a cigarette after sex? Oh the pain!! Has anyone used Wellbutrin just to quit smoking? What are the side effects? Will I be wired out? Will I be Zombie?
> Help!!!!
> Wharf
> P.S.Happy Holidays


I have never used Welbutrin, though my nephew did and his mom and step-dad are smokers, and it drove him crazy -- he would holler about their smoking all day long (and he's just a kid).

However, I am an ex-smoker (quit cold-turkey 12 years ago), and I don't think it is a bad idea to quit anyhow. Even if you are healthy, life is just much better without it. And you figure out what to do after sex other than have a cigarette.

 

Insomnia?

Posted by sleepyhead on December 19, 2002, at 18:06:58

In reply to Re: Question for MILLS, posted by mills on December 19, 2002, at 9:58:25

I have just be prescribed Lexapro 10mg for insomnia. I have no other symptoms of depression, anxiety, OCD, or social dysfunction. I have read the complaints about lack of sexual drive, but I would gladly give up sex to get a good night's sleep.
My question is: Does it make any sense to treat insomnia with Lexapro? One of the potential side effects is insomnia. Any opinions?

 

Re: Cigarettes or Lexapro, Wellbutrin Sex?

Posted by comftnumb on December 19, 2002, at 19:21:25

In reply to Cigarettes or Lexapro, Wellbutrin Sex?, posted by wharfrat on December 18, 2002, at 16:06:58

I was put on 300mg Wellbutrin for depression. At the time I was a smoker. I can say that while Wellbutrin does curb the desire to smoke a little, the satisfaction you get from a good smoke remains.

How much do you smoke? I was a fairly light smoker (5-10cigs a day), but I smoked Marlboro Reds. I quit in late September without much difficulty. Had a few minor relapses, but overall cigarettes are gone from my life. Miss them sometimes....

 

Re: Insomnia?

Posted by dragonfly on December 19, 2002, at 19:33:14

In reply to Insomnia?, posted by sleepyhead on December 19, 2002, at 18:06:58

> I have just be prescribed Lexapro 10mg for insomnia. I have no other symptoms of depression, anxiety, OCD, or social dysfunction. I have read the complaints about lack of sexual drive, but I would gladly give up sex to get a good night's sleep.
> My question is: Does it make any sense to treat insomnia with Lexapro? One of the potential side effects is insomnia. Any opinions?
I have been on Lex for 5 weeks, 10 mg. I try to make sure I take it exactly the same time EVERYDAY! (7am). I was having a major problemm with insomnia. It was a little over two weeks before my sleep STARTED to get better. I was waking up only once or twice a night and not laying there for hours awake. After 3 weeks I was falling asleep easier and only waking once(damned bladder).Twice last week I even slept the whole night!
I have read where some are having a problem with getting very tired during the day. When I start to feel it coming on I try to move around, clean house garden or exercise bike. It has really helped me. I find a nap every day is very addictive and your body will get into that habit. So why not try the oppposite?When you feel tired get up!!! do something to get your blood moving!!! i ride my exercise bike and watch tv or read at the same time(nowhere close to walk)but I would suggest trying that instead of everyone jumping med to med

 

Thanks dragonfly

Posted by sleepyhead on December 20, 2002, at 5:19:34

In reply to Re: Insomnia?, posted by dragonfly on December 19, 2002, at 19:33:14

> > I have just be prescribed Lexapro 10mg for insomnia. I have no other symptoms of depression, anxiety, OCD, or social dysfunction. I have read the complaints about lack of sexual drive, but I would gladly give up sex to get a good night's sleep.
> > My question is: Does it make any sense to treat insomnia with Lexapro? One of the potential side effects is insomnia. Any opinions?
> I have been on Lex for 5 weeks, 10 mg. I try to make sure I take it exactly the same time EVERYDAY! (7am). I was having a major problemm with insomnia. It was a little over two weeks before my sleep STARTED to get better. I was waking up only once or twice a night and not laying there for hours awake. After 3 weeks I was falling asleep easier and only waking once(damned bladder).Twice last week I even slept the whole night!
> I have read where some are having a problem with getting very tired during the day. When I start to feel it coming on I try to move around, clean house garden or exercise bike. It has really helped me. I find a nap every day is very addictive and your body will get into that habit. So why not try the oppposite?When you feel tired get up!!! do something to get your blood moving!!! i ride my exercise bike and watch tv or read at the same time(nowhere close to walk)but I would suggest trying that instead of everyone jumping med to med
>

Thanks for the encouraging words. I don't sleep during the day at all. I never have. Right now, I can function on the 5-6 hours of sleep I am getting which is much better than the 0-3 hours of sleep I was getting over the summer. There were no meds involved in the improvement.
After looking over some background information on Lexapro, I have discovered it is related to Prozac. I knew 5 people who took Prozac. All 5 went from unhappy but functioning to nonfunctioning and desparately depressed or psychotic. Two committed suicide. Prozac scares me to death, and Lexapro is similar in some way. I have decided to delay starting the Lexapro until after the holdiays at least. I am not going to ruin Christmas. I suspect I will wait until I am getting less than 4 hours of sleep per night to even consider Lexapro.

Thanks again

 

Re: Thanks dragonfly sleepyhead

Posted by ayuda on December 20, 2002, at 8:11:27

In reply to Thanks dragonfly, posted by sleepyhead on December 20, 2002, at 5:19:34

Well, the bigger question is, do you suffer from depression and/or anxiety? If you don't, and you are being given this medication, it is going to mess with you as you described about your friends. Doctors don't realize that these medications are not to treat the symptoms -- they are to treat the underlying cause, and for those of us who suffer from the underlying cause, the symptoms go away.

I think you are right to question your doctor putting you on this medication if you do not suffer from clinical depression and/or generalized anxiety disorder. If your insomnia is due to one of these conditions, then your doctor should have made it clear that you are being treated for one of these conditions. But it seems to me, from your original question, that you are not sure that you do suffer from one of these conditions.

I personally do not take ANY medication until a doctor proves to me 1)that I suffer from the disorder the medication treats, and 2)it is the most efficient and least harmful way of treating that condition. I have refused medications from doctors because they do not meet these criteria. If you only suffer from insomnia, and not depression/GAD, then don't take the medication, go see another doctor.

Besides, like you said, Lexapro does not purport to cure insomnia. I take mine first thing in the morning, and I have bad insomnia at night. If you are going to take an AD that works on insomnia, then take Trazodone. It knocks you out, and then (at least for me) permits you to wake up at a reasonable time, with just a little grogginess and NO personality disruption.

ADs are supposed to increase the quality of life for people who suffer from depression and GAD. If ANY medication does not increase your quality of life when that is what it is supposed to do, you can't take it, it's not the thing to do to yourself. I'm glad that you questioned this Rx the way you did -- I would seek out a different solution if I was you. Good luck!


> > > I have just be prescribed Lexapro 10mg for insomnia. I have no other symptoms of depression, anxiety, OCD, or social dysfunction. I have read the complaints about lack of sexual drive, but I would gladly give up sex to get a good night's sleep.
> > > My question is: Does it make any sense to treat insomnia with Lexapro? One of the potential side effects is insomnia. Any opinions?
> > I have been on Lex for 5 weeks, 10 mg. I try to make sure I take it exactly the same time EVERYDAY! (7am). I was having a major problemm with insomnia. It was a little over two weeks before my sleep STARTED to get better. I was waking up only once or twice a night and not laying there for hours awake. After 3 weeks I was falling asleep easier and only waking once(damned bladder).Twice last week I even slept the whole night!
> > I have read where some are having a problem with getting very tired during the day. When I start to feel it coming on I try to move around, clean house garden or exercise bike. It has really helped me. I find a nap every day is very addictive and your body will get into that habit. So why not try the oppposite?When you feel tired get up!!! do something to get your blood moving!!! i ride my exercise bike and watch tv or read at the same time(nowhere close to walk)but I would suggest trying that instead of everyone jumping med to med
> >
>
> Thanks for the encouraging words. I don't sleep during the day at all. I never have. Right now, I can function on the 5-6 hours of sleep I am getting which is much better than the 0-3 hours of sleep I was getting over the summer. There were no meds involved in the improvement.
> After looking over some background information on Lexapro, I have discovered it is related to Prozac. I knew 5 people who took Prozac. All 5 went from unhappy but functioning to nonfunctioning and desparately depressed or psychotic. Two committed suicide. Prozac scares me to death, and Lexapro is similar in some way. I have decided to delay starting the Lexapro until after the holdiays at least. I am not going to ruin Christmas. I suspect I will wait until I am getting less than 4 hours of sleep per night to even consider Lexapro.
>
> Thanks again

 

Re: Thanks dragonfly sleepyhead

Posted by Geezer on December 20, 2002, at 8:41:10

In reply to Thanks dragonfly, posted by sleepyhead on December 20, 2002, at 5:19:34

> > > I have just be prescribed Lexapro 10mg for insomnia. I have no other symptoms of depression, anxiety, OCD, or social dysfunction. I have read the complaints about lack of sexual drive, but I would gladly give up sex to get a good night's sleep.
> > > My question is: Does it make any sense to treat insomnia with Lexapro? One of the potential side effects is insomnia. Any opinions?
> > I have been on Lex for 5 weeks, 10 mg. I try to make sure I take it exactly the same time EVERYDAY! (7am). I was having a major problemm with insomnia. It was a little over two weeks before my sleep STARTED to get better. I was waking up only once or twice a night and not laying there for hours awake. After 3 weeks I was falling asleep easier and only waking once(damned bladder).Twice last week I even slept the whole night!
> > I have read where some are having a problem with getting very tired during the day. When I start to feel it coming on I try to move around, clean house garden or exercise bike. It has really helped me. I find a nap every day is very addictive and your body will get into that habit. So why not try the oppposite?When you feel tired get up!!! do something to get your blood moving!!! i ride my exercise bike and watch tv or read at the same time(nowhere close to walk)but I would suggest trying that instead of everyone jumping med to med
> >
>
> Thanks for the encouraging words. I don't sleep during the day at all. I never have. Right now, I can function on the 5-6 hours of sleep I am getting which is much better than the 0-3 hours of sleep I was getting over the summer. There were no meds involved in the improvement.
> After looking over some background information on Lexapro, I have discovered it is related to Prozac. I knew 5 people who took Prozac. All 5 went from unhappy but functioning to nonfunctioning and desparately depressed or psychotic. Two committed suicide. Prozac scares me to death, and Lexapro is similar in some way. I have decided to delay starting the Lexapro until after the holdiays at least. I am not going to ruin Christmas. I suspect I will wait until I am getting less than 4 hours of sleep per night to even consider Lexapro.
>
> Thanks again

Hi dragonfly,

I won't make any recommendations on your Lexapro, never took it, although the best AD I ever took was Prozac (best 18 months of my life before it pooped out). It's all too true that each of us responds differently to these drugs, sadly, it's a matter of trial and error finding the right one.

I would like to offer a word of caution about the insomnia. I do not mean to alarm and I am talking about insomnia of the most sever and prolonged type. This kind of insomnia can result in TEMPORARY psychosis - the psychosis will resolve when sleep is resumed. This "theory" was pretty well proven by the marathon ball room dancers of the 1920s and 30s. Dance for days trying to be the last ones standing.....some got a little crazy. I had a similar experience working a 24/7 emergency medical schedule combined with a goodly amount of Dexadrine abuse to stay awake. I don't think for a moment you would try such foolishness - just keep your doc informed about your insomnia.

Have a Happy Holiday

Geezer

 

Re: Thanks dragonfly - Question Ayuda?? ayuda

Posted by Geezer on December 20, 2002, at 9:10:29

In reply to Re: Thanks dragonfly sleepyhead, posted by ayuda on December 20, 2002, at 8:11:27

A question about traz. if you don't mind? I completed 11 ECT treatments 2 weeks ago and currently take 40mg Parnate (strong dopamine effect). After 8 weeks the Parnate is beginning to help the depression (i am TRD-have taken the SSRIs, TCAs, and mood stabilizers) but the insomnia is almost unbearable. I took traz. when it first came out many years ago and hyped as a good AD. I gained 40 pounds in the first few months and spent two years trying to stay awake during the daytime. At present 1mg. of Klonopin along with 20mg of Ambien gives me 3-4 hours sleep some nights and some nights none at all. I have a past history of Benzo. abuse so I can't go further in that direction. The pdoc wants me to use traz., I am sure it will do the trick for sleep but can't tolerate the daytime "sleepiness". In your opinion would a 50mg. dose every third night be sufficient? I am aware of the problems associated with sever insomnia (please see my above post to dragonfly). Thanks so much for any suggestions you might be able to offer.

Geezer

 

Re: Tense Muscles: upper back, neck and jaw AnelizeDarkEyes

Posted by oldhand on December 20, 2002, at 9:35:06

In reply to Re: Tense Muscles: upper back, neck and jaw Ritch, posted by AnelizeDarkEyes on December 18, 2002, at 20:04:50

I have been on Lex for alittle over 2 months and I too am having jaw clenching and slight headache problems. I wake with a headache from it and some days it is terribly annoying. I take 100mg of Trazodone to sleep because the Lex just wires me. Despite the clenching, I feel as well as I have in years of depression!! I have recently come to live with my elderly parents and if something should set me off this should but I have been doing well, patient, etc. The jaw stuff is not so bad that I will quit the Lex but I will ask my doc about it and a remedy. Best to all and wishing alleviation without side effects for all.

 

Re: Insomnia?

Posted by mills on December 20, 2002, at 9:36:05

In reply to Insomnia?, posted by sleepyhead on December 19, 2002, at 18:06:58

it would make sense to me if the insomnia is somehow anxiety or depression related, but other than that, i honestly wouldn't know; i recommend you talk to your doctor about that issue; anxiety can be very subtle and affect you without you even being aware of it, i think; maybe that's what the doctor is trying to do; good luck


> I have just be prescribed Lexapro 10mg for insomnia. I have no other symptoms of depression, anxiety, OCD, or social dysfunction. I have read the complaints about lack of sexual drive, but I would gladly give up sex to get a good night's sleep.
> My question is: Does it make any sense to treat insomnia with Lexapro? One of the potential side effects is insomnia. Any opinions?

 

Re: Thanks dragonfly - Question Ayuda?? Geezer

Posted by ayuda on December 20, 2002, at 10:43:27

In reply to Re: Thanks dragonfly - Question Ayuda?? ayuda, posted by Geezer on December 20, 2002, at 9:10:29

> A question about traz. if you don't mind? I completed 11 ECT treatments 2 weeks ago and currently take 40mg Parnate (strong dopamine effect). After 8 weeks the Parnate is beginning to help the depression (i am TRD-have taken the SSRIs, TCAs, and mood stabilizers) but the insomnia is almost unbearable. I took traz. when it first came out many years ago and hyped as a good AD. I gained 40 pounds in the first few months and spent two years trying to stay awake during the daytime. At present 1mg. of Klonopin along with 20mg of Ambien gives me 3-4 hours sleep some nights and some nights none at all. I have a past history of Benzo. abuse so I can't go further in that direction. The pdoc wants me to use traz., I am sure it will do the trick for sleep but can't tolerate the daytime "sleepiness". In your opinion would a 50mg. dose every third night be sufficient? I am aware of the problems associated with sever insomnia (please see my above post to dragonfly). Thanks so much for any suggestions you might be able to offer.
>
> Geezer


I can tell you how it affects me: sometimes I prefer to take 25mg (cut the 50 in half) because of the effects you are talking about. Since I am on winter break from school, I am not so concerned about daytime sleepiness. I know this is a luxury not many people have.

Anyhow, when I take the 50mg at night, I have to go to bed right away -- if I don't, I will get drowsy, but then have a hard time going to sleep (sometimes I take it then stay up on the computer -- bad idea). In any event, once I started on the Trazodone, I started waking up around 7 a.m. every morning, regardless of when I took the med the night before. I am wide awake at that time, for about 2 hours. Then I get sleepy again, and need a nap. I do stay a bit sleepy through the day, but since I don't have a 9-5 job, I can function through it. I also don't notice it much, though I will admit my intake of caffeinated coffee has gone up drastically.

So to answer your question, you might want to try 25mg at night, but I don't know that it will help to not take it every night. It doesn't have a cumulative affect with me -- if I don't take it, I don't sleep. Then again, like I said, I drink more coffee to stay awake during the day, so I don't know if that is affecting my insomnia.

 

Re: Thanks dragonfly - Question Ayuda?? ayuda

Posted by Geezer on December 20, 2002, at 11:14:46

In reply to Re: Thanks dragonfly - Question Ayuda?? Geezer, posted by ayuda on December 20, 2002, at 10:43:27

> > A question about traz. if you don't mind? I completed 11 ECT treatments 2 weeks ago and currently take 40mg Parnate (strong dopamine effect). After 8 weeks the Parnate is beginning to help the depression (i am TRD-have taken the SSRIs, TCAs, and mood stabilizers) but the insomnia is almost unbearable. I took traz. when it first came out many years ago and hyped as a good AD. I gained 40 pounds in the first few months and spent two years trying to stay awake during the daytime. At present 1mg. of Klonopin along with 20mg of Ambien gives me 3-4 hours sleep some nights and some nights none at all. I have a past history of Benzo. abuse so I can't go further in that direction. The pdoc wants me to use traz., I am sure it will do the trick for sleep but can't tolerate the daytime "sleepiness". In your opinion would a 50mg. dose every third night be sufficient? I am aware of the problems associated with sever insomnia (please see my above post to dragonfly). Thanks so much for any suggestions you might be able to offer.
> >
> > Geezer
>
>
> I can tell you how it affects me: sometimes I prefer to take 25mg (cut the 50 in half) because of the effects you are talking about. Since I am on winter break from school, I am not so concerned about daytime sleepiness. I know this is a luxury not many people have.
>
> Anyhow, when I take the 50mg at night, I have to go to bed right away -- if I don't, I will get drowsy, but then have a hard time going to sleep (sometimes I take it then stay up on the computer -- bad idea). In any event, once I started on the Trazodone, I started waking up around 7 a.m. every morning, regardless of when I took the med the night before. I am wide awake at that time, for about 2 hours. Then I get sleepy again, and need a nap. I do stay a bit sleepy through the day, but since I don't have a 9-5 job, I can function through it. I also don't notice it much, though I will admit my intake of caffeinated coffee has gone up drastically.
>
> So to answer your question, you might want to try 25mg at night, but I don't know that it will help to not take it every night. It doesn't have a cumulative affect with me -- if I don't take it, I don't sleep. Then again, like I said, I drink more coffee to stay awake during the day, so I don't know if that is affecting my insomnia.
>

Thanks ayuda,

I will try the 25mg. as you suggest - I just have a terrible time with drugs that cause daytime drowsiness. I was just doing a web search on a drug I heard mentioned on TV last night. It is called NEUROCRINE manufactured by Pfizer. You can find it on the Pfizer web site - it is in stage III clinical trials and due for release late 2003. No doubt the FDA will delay it longer than that. I called Pfizer but they could not give me anymore info than found on the web site. Says it is not a benzo. Thanks for your help.

Geezer

 

The responses have been appreciated

Posted by sleepyhead on December 20, 2002, at 11:46:39

In reply to Re: Thanks dragonfly - Question Ayuda?? ayuda, posted by Geezer on December 20, 2002, at 11:14:46

Thanks for everyone's input on my insomnia.
First, let me make clear that I have no depression or anxiety disorder. The doctor who prescribed the Lexapro is not a psychologist -he is a neurologist. I have seen him 3 times for a total of 10 minutes -roughly 3 minutes per visit. Even if I was depressed, he could not make a diagnosis in that time.
I'm flushing the Lexapro and my doc. I'll just write it off to another miserable experience with the medical profession.

 

Re: The responses have been appreciated sleepyhead

Posted by leslieg on December 20, 2002, at 16:23:30

In reply to The responses have been appreciated, posted by sleepyhead on December 20, 2002, at 11:46:39

Have you been to a sleep specialist / had a night-time sleep study done? If not, I recommend it.

> Thanks for everyone's input on my insomnia.
> First, let me make clear that I have no depression or anxiety disorder. The doctor who prescribed the Lexapro is not a psychologist -he is a neurologist. I have seen him 3 times for a total of 10 minutes -roughly 3 minutes per visit. Even if I was depressed, he could not make a diagnosis in that time.
> I'm flushing the Lexapro and my doc. I'll just write it off to another miserable experience with the medical profession.

 

question?

Posted by enter on December 20, 2002, at 16:49:11

In reply to Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by Dr. Bob on June 11, 2002, at 7:52:48

I took One (10mg)lex last sat. and then one mon morning at 7:30 three hours after that I started to have serious hot flashes cold chills the shakes. I had stomach cramps, and vomiting. I of course did not take any more. its now friday and my stomach is still messed up. just wondered if anyone knew when I'd be back to normal. NO I don't take any other drugs and wasn't sick before.


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.