Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 109458

Shown: posts 1565 to 1589 of 8406. Go back in thread:

 

Re: Lexapro Ritchie

Posted by ayuda on December 13, 2002, at 18:57:44

In reply to Lexapro, posted by Ritchie on December 13, 2002, at 18:35:29

> Taking lexapro and i have high blood pressure. has anyone heard of your pressure increasing on lexapro, mine is going up.

I had that problem with Effexor, and the last time I had mine checked I was tapering off the effexor and only on the Lexapro for 3 weeks. So I don't know personally if it is an s/e of Lexapro or not.

 

Re: Wellbutrin as a side dish leslieg

Posted by ayuda on December 13, 2002, at 19:05:13

In reply to Re: Wellbutrin as a side dish ayuda, posted by leslieg on December 13, 2002, at 17:33:25

> > I feel so bad for you guys -- but your stories are so funny! Maybe I shouldn't laugh at someone else's misfortunes, but then again, I'm just glad to have gotten a sex drive back after years without it.
> >
> > And for us girls, I don't think that the orgasm problems exist -- but the thread about breast pain, that's the kind of "sse" we get (you don't want anyone touching them when they ache). I was wondering if Viagra helped -- guess it doesn't get you to the finish line, though. I wonder if there is something about seratonin that makes it important to the male orgasm?
> >
> > Not to pry (though you all started the topic), but can you ejaculate, or is it ejaculation and orgasm that are suppressed? I'm just curious -- the female response to these meds just being so different.
> >
>
> I'm female. When I was on Zoloft I could not reach orgasim. I wanted to (although my sex drive was diminished). The problem seemed to be that my mind could not stay focused on the task. I almost always got too tired and gave up. When I started on Lexapro, one of the first things I did was pull out my old vibrator, and think about shopping for a new one. Fortunately, Lexapro hasn't affected me as badly as Zoloft did!
>

I've had the problem in the past where neither my partner nor the vibrator can keep my interest, but I didn't consider that any of it could be connected with the medications. Actually, when discussing the problem with a roommate about a dozen years ago (I was not on medication at the time), she suggested fantasizing. I guess men do that all the time, which is kind of what the guys here are talking about, that even that isn't helping. I haven't had any special problems in reaching orgasm on any of the ADs, just the problem with the sex drive. Which I guess I should say that even though I had an almost non-existent sex drive, I did "force" myself to masturbate, since I think sex is a necessary function of life. Which is also what I think the guys here are saying.

 

Re: Switched from Celexa to Lexapro- going back

Posted by shakingoscar on December 14, 2002, at 3:55:53

In reply to Re: Switched from Celexa to Lexapro- going back , posted by looking for a life on December 6, 2002, at 17:33:19

I too had to go back to celexa after trying lexapro for 10 weeks. i just couldnt get used to it and it made my anxiety a lot worse and i felt intense all the time. shaking. it was awful. i have been back on celexa for 2 months and im just starting to feel ok again.

 

Re: Lexapro and Wellbutrin Anxiety Ann

Posted by Kairos on December 14, 2002, at 5:02:02

In reply to Re: Lexapro and Wellbutrin Anxiety Ann, posted by ANXIETY ANN on December 9, 2002, at 8:20:12

I'm really getting sick of the whole deal here. My sex drive is NON-existant - now that's a FIRST. My jaw is clenched MOST of t he time - I SLEEP ALL the time and this is Lexapro??

 

will lexapro help w/ this too...

Posted by her_mommie on December 14, 2002, at 11:06:23

In reply to Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by Dr. Bob on June 11, 2002, at 7:52:48

Hi, I am new to this board and have been on Lexapro only for 3 days. So far I have noticed to be sleepy, but I interested in knowing if it will help w/ PMS-mood swings? As for the sleepiness...does this finally level off? I hope so, because I keep napping!

Thanks : )

 

Re: Wellbutrin as a side dish ayuda

Posted by leslieg on December 14, 2002, at 11:58:42

In reply to Re: Wellbutrin as a side dish leslieg, posted by ayuda on December 13, 2002, at 19:05:13

> > I'm female. When I was on Zoloft I could not reach orgasim. I wanted to (although my sex drive was diminished). The problem seemed to be that my mind could not stay focused on the task. I almost always got too tired and gave up. When I started on Lexapro, one of the first things I did was pull out my old vibrator, and think about shopping for a new one. Fortunately, Lexapro hasn't affected me as badly as Zoloft did!
> >
>
> I've had the problem in the past where neither my partner nor the vibrator can keep my interest, but I didn't consider that any of it could be connected with the medications. Actually, when discussing the problem with a roommate about a dozen years ago (I was not on medication at the time), she suggested fantasizing. I guess men do that all the time, which is kind of what the guys here are talking about, that even that isn't helping. I haven't had any special problems in reaching orgasm on any of the ADs, just the problem with the sex drive. Which I guess I should say that even though I had an almost non-existent sex drive, I did "force" myself to masturbate, since I think sex is a necessary function of life. Which is also what I think the guys here are saying.
>
Actually, I almost always use fantasy; have since I was 14. Zoloft made me feel like the guy who recently posted about laying out all the porn and trying to find one who could do it for him -- I could not find a fantasy that kept my interest! So basically my sse were a double-whammy. Lack of mind-control plus physical sensations only taking me so far (never all the way). Lexapro has been better. All aspects of sex are diminished somewhat, but none to the point of seriously affecting my marriage. [When I'm depressed and not on AD's, then I find fantasy to be vital to the process. On the rare occasions I'm not depressed and not on AD ... yea!]

We are all, obviously, affected in our own way by these drugs. I'm posting my experiences not to refute anyone but in case there are lurkers who experience things the way I do, they can know they are not unique / alone!

 

Re: Wellbutrin as a side dish

Posted by dragonfly on December 14, 2002, at 14:03:16

In reply to Re: Wellbutrin as a side dish ayuda, posted by leslieg on December 14, 2002, at 11:58:42

I have been on lexapro 4 weeks today, 10 mg taken at 7am every day.This is the first time I have been treated for depression. I was reading about y'alls orgasm problems and the first couple of weeks I had the same problem. Oh by the way I am female and 41. About the time I started to worry about it, the problem went away. I had a problem with dryness to, it too has gone away. I have found Iam getting tired once a day but instead of sitting or sleeping I am riding my exercise bike or cleaning. I do not want to get in the habit of naps! So far my energy level has picked up a little. I start to get sleepy around 9:30pm Finally I can sleep until 5am without waking up! I had the worst time sleeping no more than 2 to 3 hours at a time and then lay awake another hour or so trying to go back to sleep! I feel I am doing great "so far".

 

Other Lexapro issues I am worrying about

Posted by ayuda on December 14, 2002, at 15:45:41

In reply to Re: Wellbutrin as a side dish, posted by dragonfly on December 14, 2002, at 14:03:16

I'll tell you what has me worried more than any possible side effects (to digress a moment, I say possible because just about everything that could be attributable to the meds I have also experienced during the times in my life in which I was not depressed and not on ADs). I am starting to revert back to my normal behavior patterns, which are quite aggressive. That's putting it mildly. I also had a mild episode of anxiety last night, had to take an Ativan to even out. With the return of my sex drive, anxiety, and aggressive behavior, I am now wondering if 10mg of Lexapro is going to be good for me. I've been on it now for almost 2 months, and while the depression seems to be better, I might as well be unmedicated if the anxiety and other things are coming back. Unfortunately, the winter break has just started, and it'll be about 2 months before I see my doctor again, so hopefully I won't have major problems in the meantime.

 

Re: will lexapro help w/ this too...

Posted by ANXIETY ANN on December 14, 2002, at 16:32:46

In reply to will lexapro help w/ this too..., posted by her_mommie on December 14, 2002, at 11:06:23

> Hi, I am new to this board and have been on Lexapro only for 3 days. So far I have noticed to be sleepy, but I interested in knowing if it will help w/ PMS-mood swings? As for the sleepiness...does this finally level off? I hope so, because I keep napping!
>
> Thanks : )

Hi,
I've been on Lexapo for about two months now and I can say that it HAS helped me with my PMS. i still get sleepy sometimes during the day but I try to keep busy until that feeling passes.
Good luck,
Anxiety Ann

 

switched from Celexa to Lexapro

Posted by banker on December 15, 2002, at 12:07:27

In reply to Re: Lexapro update, posted by katekite on July 31, 2002, at 11:48:47

I switched from 20mg Celexa (on this for 1 year) to10 mg Lexapro 6 days ago. My sex drive and ease of ejac improved quickly. I have experienced excessive sweating with both drugs.

Biggest concern is that I went into a deep blue funk within 3 days of the change. Should I continue with the Lexapro, consider a higher dosage, or switch back to Celexa??

 

Re: Has anyone experience breast pain?

Posted by ggt on December 15, 2002, at 14:29:49

In reply to Has anyone experience breast pain?, posted by Stella1 on December 13, 2002, at 8:44:10

> I've noticed that w/ Lexapro and Celexa I have a lot of breast soreness. Is this normal, is anyone else experiencing it?

I have noticed the same thing with both; 4 months with Celexa and now about 8 weeks with Lexapro.

 

Lethargy

Posted by Oblivious on December 15, 2002, at 22:19:34

In reply to Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by Dr. Bob on June 11, 2002, at 7:52:48

I've been on Lexapro six weeks... absolutely no change in my mood... but I experience extreme lethargy... I have slept up to 18 hours some days... all I want to do is sleep. My boobs hurt all the time. No sex drive... don't even want a man touching me. Don't feel angry anymore... don't feel anything...

 

Re: Has anyone experience breast pain? ggt

Posted by tlrtlbkdrjar on December 15, 2002, at 22:44:18

In reply to Re: Has anyone experience breast pain?, posted by ggt on December 15, 2002, at 14:29:49

this is my third day on lexapro and so far i have noticed i am a b_____ to be around. i have a headache that will not quit, my upper back muscles are very tense and neck, my eyes feel swollen, and anxiety has set in. can't sleep. don't know what day or time it is, feel lost, confused.thoughts of running away and never returning has come back. real stressed.my breast hurt like im drying up from having a baby. please advise

 

Re: Has anyone experience breast pain?

Posted by jjo on December 16, 2002, at 9:23:42

In reply to Re: Has anyone experience breast pain? ggt, posted by tlrtlbkdrjar on December 15, 2002, at 22:44:18

> this is my third day on lexapro and so far i have noticed i am a b_____ to be around. i have a headache that will not quit, my upper back muscles are very tense and neck, my eyes feel swollen, and anxiety has set in. can't sleep. don't know what day or time it is, feel lost, confused.thoughts of running away and never returning has come back. real stressed.my breast hurt like im drying up from having a baby. please advise
>

Oh my, I almost feel better hearing this. I thought that I was crazy. I am having the same type of symptoms. I have been on it for about 3 weeks now, and the first 3 days were horrible. Now, about 3 weeks later, my breasts are killing me, I feel very detached, my mind won't quit spinning, I feel very "hopeless", and I am so dizzy that I feel a bit drunk. It is PMS time for me, and I was wondering if this had anything to do with it. Now, I am not so sure.

 

Tense Muscles: upper back, neck and jaw

Posted by newuser2 on December 17, 2002, at 8:50:27

In reply to Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by Dr. Bob on June 11, 2002, at 7:52:48

I have been on Lexapro for 4 weeks. I am still experiencing terrible tightness in my upper back, neck and jaw. Does this s/e eventually subside? It is very uncomfortable. I have tried relaxation techniques and massage, but nothing seems to rid this problem. Does anyone have any information or advice? Please respond.
Thank you!

 

I am taking Lexapro

Posted by laa123 on December 17, 2002, at 14:34:07

In reply to Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by Dr. Bob on June 11, 2002, at 7:52:48

> [Posted by ggrrl on June 11, 2002, at 1:19:51]
>
> > Seems like there are a lot of people on here who have talked about Lexapro's improved side-effects, specifically that it has less tiredness and sexual side effects than Celexa. Some have said that it has the same side effects as Celexa. However most people are quoting from press releases - does anyone here know from experience (theirs or others')?
>
>
I am currently taking Lexapro (20 mg once a day), and I think it is MUCH better than Celexa. I didn't like Celexa at all because I thought the side effects were harsh. I felt like a zombie all of the time, and I felt very sedated. The fact that I was so groggy all of the time didn't improve my depression at all. Now, I feel much more alert with Lexapro, and I don't feel any side effects. I started at 10 mg and moved up to 20 a month later. I would highly recommend Lexapro to anyone who doesn't tolerate Celexa well. I hope this is helpful.

 

Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl

Posted by tlrtlbkdrjar on December 17, 2002, at 17:42:07

In reply to Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by Dr. Bob on June 11, 2002, at 7:52:48

i was talking from personal experience

 

Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl

Posted by pro4man on December 17, 2002, at 18:48:57

In reply to Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by Dr. Bob on June 11, 2002, at 7:52:48

why did she put me on lexapro for anxiety!!!!!! ive been on zanax? now i find out this is a anti depresent???????????????? im sick i took first one at noon and feel like crap couldnt move for 6 hours layed in bed with headache and severe anxiety and im getting confused. big money for doc or what. who can you trust??????????

 

Re: Wellbutrin as a side dish ayuda

Posted by me so tiny on December 18, 2002, at 5:32:25

In reply to Re: Wellbutrin as a side dish me so tiny, posted by ayuda on December 13, 2002, at 16:34:11

> I'm just glad to have gotten a sex drive back after years
> without it.

Kindof ironic - without AD's, I can't calm down enough to go out with somebody. With AD's, I go out and get bored.

Many women seem to have little or no sex drive - it's unclear. Maybe sometimes it's cuz they are on weight-loss famine diets? I had a girlfriend that claimed to NEVER have had an orgasm in her life. (didn't happen with me either.) I had a different girlfriend who came so easy. ???

> I wonder if there is something about
> seratonin that makes it important to the male orgasm?

Good question. Probably. Orgasm is so tricky, I don't know what to think. I've often have trouble just by having someone else in the room, not even having AD's involved. (Yes. It's a problem. So here I am.)

I had a conversation with my pdoc once where he told me that really there's like two dozen varieties of serotonin, and the same for norepinephrine and dopamine. Like, Serotonin 5B controls something in your bowels, so that's why Paxil gives you (me at least) diarrhea. And each antidepressant tweaks several different flavors of serotonin. And probably, slightly different amounts for different people. And probably tons of obscure variables we have no idea of. (Don't quote me - I don't remember exactly what he said.)

> Not to pry (though you all started the topic), but can you
> ejaculate, or is it ejaculation and orgasm that are suppressed?
> I'm just curious -- the female response to these meds just being
> so different.

Typically, at least with me, excitement that gets me erect also starts leakage. Roughly the same stuff. Can cause pregnancy. More excitement, more leakage. Unless I'm like really dehydrated.

With orgasm you get surges of liquid. No O, no ejaculation, just the leakage. So if your man comes too fast, get him on some good SSRI's. At mild doses I think it would improve the experience, depending on where you're starting from.

But yeah, when you can't finish the job, it gets way way frustrating. Pointless to even start at 50mg Paxil (highest dose). I sometimes went for a week or more without trying; that's been like totally totally impossible for me normally, since puberty - hard to go three days without.

 

Re: Lexapro and Wellbutrin Kairos

Posted by me so tiny on December 18, 2002, at 6:03:19

In reply to Re: Lexapro and Wellbutrin Anxiety Ann, posted by Kairos on December 14, 2002, at 5:02:02

> I'm really getting sick of the whole deal here. My sex drive is NON-existant - now that's a FIRST.

A problem, but maybe it can be dealt with.

> My jaw is clenched MOST of t he time - I SLEEP ALL the time and this is Lexapro??

That sounds bad. The idea is to feel better, not worse, after you add it all up. And the first several weeks are more chaotic so let the dust settle. Talk with your pdoc.

There are plenty of other AD's to try - each with different SE's so shop around. Zoloft is pretty different maybe. Wellbrutrin might do the opposite of what you're suffering. No kidding - there's about a dozen ADs that are modern and safe and common, in several categories. some more common than others. Each human has different chemistry and you can't guess the side effects till you give it a spin for a month.

 

Re: Tense Muscles: upper back, neck and jaw newuser2

Posted by Ritch on December 18, 2002, at 9:10:07

In reply to Tense Muscles: upper back, neck and jaw, posted by newuser2 on December 17, 2002, at 8:50:27

> I have been on Lexapro for 4 weeks. I am still experiencing terrible tightness in my upper back, neck and jaw. Does this s/e eventually subside? It is very uncomfortable. I have tried relaxation techniques and massage, but nothing seems to rid this problem. Does anyone have any information or advice? Please respond.
> Thank you!
>

SSRI's can trigger a variety of motor/muscular side effects (restless legs, TMJ, etc.). Some of it is the initial increased anxiety they often can provoke which may fade with time (with reduced anxiety). Sometimes they are persistent. You can add something to help reduce it such as buspar or a benzodiazepine. Sometimes a switch to a different SSRI alleviates the problem. Sometimes a switch to a non-SSRI med is necessary if it is persistent and very annoying.

 

Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl

Posted by EGR on December 18, 2002, at 9:58:23

In reply to Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by pro4man on December 17, 2002, at 18:48:57

I switched to Lexapro on Monday...10mgs and I move up to 20 on Friday. I haven't noticed any side effects other than a dry mouth and a little drowsiness maybe (but since I didn't sleep for the two weeks I was on Wellbutrin, maybe I'm just catching up!). I'm hoping that it's true that the sexual one doesn't happen with this.

 

Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl

Posted by mills on December 18, 2002, at 10:11:08

In reply to Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by EGR on December 18, 2002, at 9:58:23

I'm up to 30 mg, and have been on that dose for almost 2 months, having switched from Paxil because of the sexual side effects; lex is not as effective as paxil, but it also doesn't absolutely destroy my sexual experience like paxil did, so it's not a bad trade off; i am about to go to 40 mg; does anyone else here take that much?

> I switched to Lexapro on Monday...10mgs and I move up to 20 on Friday. I haven't noticed any side effects other than a dry mouth and a little drowsiness maybe (but since I didn't sleep for the two weeks I was on Wellbutrin, maybe I'm just catching up!). I'm hoping that it's true that the sexual one doesn't happen with this.

 

Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl

Posted by Cletus2 on December 18, 2002, at 10:51:29

In reply to Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by mills on December 18, 2002, at 10:11:08

> I'm up to 30 mg, and have been on that dose for almost 2 months, having switched from Paxil because of the sexual side effects; lex is not as effective as paxil, but it also doesn't absolutely destroy my sexual experience like paxil did, so it's not a bad trade off; i am about to go to 40 mg; does anyone else here take that much?
>
>
>
> > I switched to Lexapro on Monday...10mgs and I move up to 20 on Friday. I haven't noticed any side effects other than a dry mouth and a little drowsiness maybe (but since I didn't sleep for the two weeks I was on Wellbutrin, maybe I'm just catching up!). I'm hoping that it's true that the sexual one doesn't happen with this.
>
>
Hi mills. Everyone is different so if you feel you need to go up to 40 mgs and your doctor agrees then you should proceed. I started out on 20 mgs and gradually increased to my current dosage of 80 mgs of Lexapro a day. Each time I increased, I felt great for about a week but then it would eventually fade away. Now that I am at 80 mgs I finally seem to have leveled off and feel great! It took a while to get there but it has been almost 3 weeks now on 80 mgs and it is nice and consistent. I took 100 mgs of Celexa for nearly a year and thought it was a good drug but it caused a little drowsiness and some minor sexual problems. With Lexapro, the drug feels more "clean" than its parent Celexa and I have no real side effects to speak of. Quite refreshing. I too was a little wary of increasing to such a high dose, but as my doctor says "finding the right dose for a medicine is just like trying to find the right jacket to fit you, not everyone wears the same size..." well, it was something to that effect. Anyway, good luck in finding the right dosage for yourself. Take care!

 

Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl

Posted by mills on December 18, 2002, at 11:08:22

In reply to Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by Cletus2 on December 18, 2002, at 10:51:29

wow, 80mg; i'm encouraged that i can go up a bit and not worry about it, with the pdoc's involvement, of course; i thought i was alone at 40mg, with everyone on the board here saying they have night sweats at 2.5 mg and such, and the largest pill size being 20mg; it has occurred to me though that maybe my need for more has to do with how sort of "entrenched" and untreated my condition (i.e. obsessiveness/angst/social anxiety/panic/depression) has been (25 + years without treatment--makes me tired thinking about it); anyway, thanks for the response

> > I'm up to 30 mg, and have been on that dose for almost 2 months, having switched from Paxil because of the sexual side effects; lex is not as effective as paxil, but it also doesn't absolutely destroy my sexual experience like paxil did, so it's not a bad trade off; i am about to go to 40 mg; does anyone else here take that much?
> >
> >
> >
> > > I switched to Lexapro on Monday...10mgs and I move up to 20 on Friday. I haven't noticed any side effects other than a dry mouth and a little drowsiness maybe (but since I didn't sleep for the two weeks I was on Wellbutrin, maybe I'm just catching up!). I'm hoping that it's true that the sexual one doesn't happen with this.
> >
> >
> Hi mills. Everyone is different so if you feel you need to go up to 40 mgs and your doctor agrees then you should proceed. I started out on 20 mgs and gradually increased to my current dosage of 80 mgs of Lexapro a day. Each time I increased, I felt great for about a week but then it would eventually fade away. Now that I am at 80 mgs I finally seem to have leveled off and feel great! It took a while to get there but it has been almost 3 weeks now on 80 mgs and it is nice and consistent. I took 100 mgs of Celexa for nearly a year and thought it was a good drug but it caused a little drowsiness and some minor sexual problems. With Lexapro, the drug feels more "clean" than its parent Celexa and I have no real side effects to speak of. Quite refreshing. I too was a little wary of increasing to such a high dose, but as my doctor says "finding the right dose for a medicine is just like trying to find the right jacket to fit you, not everyone wears the same size..." well, it was something to that effect. Anyway, good luck in finding the right dosage for yourself. Take care!
>


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.