Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 105761

Shown: posts 1 to 12 of 12. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

So, who likes depakote?

Posted by jaby on May 9, 2002, at 15:24:16

So who out there likes depakote and what are you currently using it for? What benefits and what side effects have you expeinced? Thanks!

 

Re: So, who likes depakote? jaby

Posted by Krazy Kat on May 9, 2002, at 16:00:09

In reply to So, who likes depakote?, posted by jaby on May 9, 2002, at 15:24:16

i like depakote. i take it for bipolar disorder. i take 2000 mg at night.

i am also trying ritalin to counteract some of depakote's side effects (and my general laziness:)).

side effects for me:
some hand tremors (there is a med one can take to counteract this)
sedation
anhedonia
flatness

the ritalin thus far has helped with the anhedonia and flatness some, and a little with energy. i take a low dose of ritalin at this point, 10 mg a day.

i cannot take anti-depressants - they trigger mania, which leads to heavy depression, which leads to agitated/suicidal depression.

depakote causes some to gain weight. it can also cause hair loss. one can take supplements to offset this. it can cause liver damage. you must have labs done periodically to check the level, but more importantly to check your liver function, etc. of course, that also gives one piece of mind re: one's health.

it acts quickly, within a week - 2 weeks. i get an immediate benefit from it when in that agitated depressive state.

it is a "big gun". i have tried other stabilizers - this has worked best for me.

- kk

 

Re: So, who likes depakote?-Krazy Kat

Posted by jaby on May 9, 2002, at 16:43:55

In reply to Re: So, who likes depakote? jaby, posted by Krazy Kat on May 9, 2002, at 16:00:09

Like most people here I have used a lot of meds. I have bad GAD/depression that results in all kinds of whacky physical symptoms. Some of the most disturbing are constant tension headaches and neck stiffness. I have used lithium in the past to some benefit. I'm wondering since depakote is indicated for migraines as well if it might help with the tension/headaches. Any comments? >

i like depakote. i take it for bipolar disorder. i take 2000 mg at night.
>
> i am also trying ritalin to counteract some of depakote's side effects (and my general laziness:)).
>
> side effects for me:
> some hand tremors (there is a med one can take to counteract this)
> sedation
> anhedonia
> flatness
>
> the ritalin thus far has helped with the anhedonia and flatness some, and a little with energy. i take a low dose of ritalin at this point, 10 mg a day.
>
> i cannot take anti-depressants - they trigger mania, which leads to heavy depression, which leads to agitated/suicidal depression.
>
> depakote causes some to gain weight. it can also cause hair loss. one can take supplements to offset this. it can cause liver damage. you must have labs done periodically to check the level, but more importantly to check your liver function, etc. of course, that also gives one piece of mind re: one's health.
>
> it acts quickly, within a week - 2 weeks. i get an immediate benefit from it when in that agitated depressive state.
>
> it is a "big gun". i have tried other stabilizers - this has worked best for me.
>
> - kk

 

Re: So, who likes depakote?-Krazy Kat jaby

Posted by JohnX2 on May 9, 2002, at 16:53:00

In reply to Re: So, who likes depakote?-Krazy Kat, posted by jaby on May 9, 2002, at 16:43:55

> Like most people here I have used a lot of meds. I have bad GAD/depression that results in all kinds of whacky physical symptoms. Some of the most disturbing are constant tension headaches and neck stiffness. I have used lithium in the past to some benefit. I'm wondering since depakote is indicated for migraines as well if it might help with the tension/headaches. Any comments? >

I have heinous, constant tension headaches.

My first neurlogist suggested Depakote, so I think it may help.

I have found Serzone to be excellent at relieving
tension headaches; other AD's would make them worse.

Topamax and Klonopin also helped a lot.

Someone else reported success with Soma.

John

 

Re: So, who likes depakote?-John

Posted by jaby on May 9, 2002, at 17:02:42

In reply to Re: So, who likes depakote?-Krazy Kat jaby, posted by JohnX2 on May 9, 2002, at 16:53:00

I appreciate your comments. I have tried soma. It just made me dog tired and not much tension relief. I haven't done topomax yet because of the likelihood of having a lot of troubles with memory/thought processing. I do take valium (barely any-2.5mg). I doesn't do much for the tension if anything. Thanks for the encouragement on the epakote and the klonopin idea (my doc likes valium better for some reason).

 

Re: So, who likes depakote? jaby

Posted by Ritch on May 9, 2002, at 23:36:17

In reply to So, who likes depakote?, posted by jaby on May 9, 2002, at 15:24:16

> So who out there likes depakote and what are you currently using it for? What benefits and what side effects have you expeinced? Thanks!

Hi there!,

I wouldn't necessarily say I *like* Depakote, but I find it the most effective med (with least sfx) specifically just for short-fusedness (temper probs) that I have ever taken. I just need to take a little...125-250mg/day.

Mitch

 

migraines, etc... jaby

Posted by Krazy Kat on May 10, 2002, at 11:07:11

In reply to Re: So, who likes depakote?-Krazy Kat, posted by jaby on May 9, 2002, at 16:43:55

i have heard that topamax is a better treatment for the symptoms you describe...

 

waiting to pick up my first depakote prescription

Posted by Emily E on May 10, 2002, at 15:16:45

In reply to So, who likes depakote?, posted by jaby on May 9, 2002, at 15:24:16

so I will let you know in a few weeks. In the meantime the posts in this thread have been helpful and I thank you all.
I have been on paxil for two months and it has helped in some respects but not with the major ups and the major, major downs. I am also on trazadone for sleep and that has been working like a charm.
I am hopeful that the depakote does something.
It gets discouraging at times doesn't it?

 

Re: So, who likes depakote?

Posted by tina on May 10, 2002, at 16:38:09

In reply to Re: So, who likes depakote? jaby, posted by Ritch on May 9, 2002, at 23:36:17

I only take 250 mgs a day too. Seems to help with the bipolar tendencies. I mostly get the irritability and rages and as long as I remember to take my depakote, I stay even instead of riding the rollercoaster.
No side effects that I know of. Well, maybe a little trouble losing weight but i'm not trying that hard LOL

 

Re: So, who likes depakote? tina

Posted by Ritch on May 10, 2002, at 21:41:27

In reply to Re: So, who likes depakote?, posted by tina on May 10, 2002, at 16:38:09

> I only take 250 mgs a day too. Seems to help with the bipolar tendencies. I mostly get the irritability and rages and as long as I remember to take my depakote, I stay even instead of riding the rollercoaster.
> No side effects that I know of. Well, maybe a little trouble losing weight but i'm not trying that hard LOL

Hi Tina,

I may have said it somewhere who knows else, but there is ONE unique positive thing about this medication and that is the anti-irritability activity of it. I have dropped to 125mg a day the last few days and I have gotten comments at work like "good grief, I didn't realize you were that upset about that-why?". I have charted intensively and found that when I go up to the 250mg level (the "migraine" dose), nearly *all* my grouchiness dissappears. Over the last few years of taking it off and on-it really hasn't helped with depression or anxiety or even sleep that much-it is just plain grouchiness is what it works on. It doesn't even help much with agitation associated with my recurrent major depressions. It is just the grouchy, fussy, hostile thoughts/feelings that crop up whether I am depressed or hypomanic. I doubt its utility as monotherapy for bipolar more than ever nowadays. OTOH, I wonder how useful it might be for unipolar folks that never get hypomania (in any shape or form), but get very mean and grouchy when they are depressed?

Mitch

 

Re: So, who likes depakote?

Posted by ST on May 11, 2002, at 4:10:08

In reply to So, who likes depakote?, posted by jaby on May 9, 2002, at 15:24:16

Hi,
I like Depakote at the dose I'm on now - 500 mg. For years I took 2000, then 1500, then 1000. I find that the 500mg is just right for me. On higher doses I am lethargic and I feel the Depakote is like a big wet blanket. I'm bipolar II. I haven't ever tried another mood stabilizer...
Sarah

 

Re: So, who likes depakote? ST

Posted by katia on July 29, 2003, at 1:43:17

In reply to Re: So, who likes depakote?, posted by ST on May 11, 2002, at 4:10:08

> Hi,
> I like Depakote at the dose I'm on now - 500 mg. For years I took 2000, then 1500, then 1000. I find that the 500mg is just right for me. On higher doses I am lethargic and I feel the Depakote is like a big wet blanket. I'm bipolar II. I haven't ever tried another mood stabilizer...
> Sarah

Does it help with your depression though?
Are you on anything else?


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.