Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 40707

Shown: posts 1 to 15 of 15. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

To Greg! (and other ICQ users)

Posted by Rach on July 17, 2000, at 5:51:06

Greg,
I'm back at uni now, and so on a different computer, so my icq files are different. I cannot find you through find users, so can you msg me or email me (rach_blackwood@hotmail.com) so I can put you back on my list.

Anyone else with icq, feel free to msg me also!

Thanks,
Rach

P.S. Hope you are doing better, and that you are finding it easier to sleep.

 

Re: Hi Rach!

Posted by Greg on July 17, 2000, at 7:29:40

In reply to To Greg! (and other ICQ users), posted by Rach on July 17, 2000, at 5:51:06

Rach,

I'll have to send my ICQ number to you this afternoon when I get home. I saw you online briefly last night, but you disappeared before I could get a message off.

Hope you're having a great day,
Greg

P.S. Same sleeping stuff, slept decently over the weekend but woke up at 1:30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep?

> Greg,
> I'm back at uni now, and so on a different computer, so my icq files are different. I cannot find you through find users, so can you msg me or email me (rach_blackwood@hotmail.com) so I can put you back on my list.
>
> Anyone else with icq, feel free to msg me also!
>
> Thanks,
> Rach
>
> P.S. Hope you are doing better, and that you are finding it easier to sleep.

 

Re: Hi Greg!

Posted by Rach on July 17, 2000, at 10:13:58

In reply to Re: Hi Rach!, posted by Greg on July 17, 2000, at 7:29:40

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you are still having some sleeping probs. I thought of another idea, although I'm not too sure if you'd be willing (although you might be at that stage where you'd try anything - I hope not). Meditation may help. I have a few simple methods for meditation, let me know if you would like them. The only problem (although it may be seen as a benefit) is that meditation will possibly bring out all your emotions and anxiety. It makes un-depressed people confront their depression-like feelings (if that makes any sense) the first couple of times, and so it is doubly bad for a depressed person. This could be good, though, in finding your reasons behind your dep. Or, it could be bad because it could turn you into a down spiral like you've never imagined before. This doesn't always happen, though, so it's your choice (obviously!)

I'm off to try to get more sleep now (it's 1am). Noisy people have gone quiet.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Rach

 

Re: Meditation Rach

Posted by Greg on July 18, 2000, at 17:11:52

In reply to Re: Hi Greg!, posted by Rach on July 17, 2000, at 10:13:58

Hi Rach,

I often do meditation, but I'm finding it harder and harder to concentrate as my anxiety worsens. I've been thinking about putting together a folder on meditation techniques for PB. Would you be interested in helping me with it? I can talk to you about specifics on ICQ. Let me know. Hope you had sweet dreams.

Hugs, Greg

> Hi,
> Sorry to hear that you are still having some sleeping probs. I thought of another idea, although I'm not too sure if you'd be willing (although you might be at that stage where you'd try anything - I hope not). Meditation may help. I have a few simple methods for meditation, let me know if you would like them. The only problem (although it may be seen as a benefit) is that meditation will possibly bring out all your emotions and anxiety. It makes un-depressed people confront their depression-like feelings (if that makes any sense) the first couple of times, and so it is doubly bad for a depressed person. This could be good, though, in finding your reasons behind your dep. Or, it could be bad because it could turn you into a down spiral like you've never imagined before. This doesn't always happen, though, so it's your choice (obviously!)
>
> I'm off to try to get more sleep now (it's 1am). Noisy people have gone quiet.
> zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
> Rach

 

Re: Meditation-Rach and Greg

Posted by Oddzilla on July 18, 2000, at 18:25:33

In reply to Re: Meditation Rach, posted by Greg on July 18, 2000, at 17:11:52

Rach and Greg

I'd like to hear more about your meditation experiences. Hope you do the folder too. When I am anxious it is very hard to meditate on my own because my thoughts are racing and I'm very distractable. At those times I find it easier to use a guided meditation tape.
O.

> I often do meditation, but I'm finding it harder and harder to concentrate as my anxiety worsens. I've been thinking about putting together a folder on meditation techniques for PB. Would you be interested in helping me with it? I can talk to you about specifics on ICQ. Let me know. Hope you had sweet dreams.
>
> Hugs, Greg
>
> > Hi,
> > Sorry to hear that you are still having some sleeping probs. I thought of another idea, although I'm not too sure if you'd be willing (although you might be at that stage where you'd try anything - I hope not). Meditation may help. I have a few simple methods for meditation, let me know if you would like them. The only problem (although it may be seen as a benefit) is that meditation will possibly bring out all your emotions and anxiety. It makes un-depressed people confront their depression-like feelings (if that makes any sense) the first couple of times, and so it is doubly bad for a depressed person. This could be good, though, in finding your reasons behind your dep. Or, it could be bad because it could turn you into a down spiral like you've never imagined before. This doesn't always happen, though, so it's your choice (obviously!)
> >
> > I'm off to try to get more sleep now (it's 1am). Noisy people have gone quiet.
> > zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
> > Rach

 

Re: Meditation-Greg and Oddzilla

Posted by Rach on July 18, 2000, at 21:25:31

In reply to Re: Meditation-Rach and Greg, posted by Oddzilla on July 18, 2000, at 18:25:33

Hi Greg and Od,
Sure, I'd love to hepl make a folder on meditation(although I am kind of confused about the folder things - maybe you could explain to me a bit more!) I think a lot of people could benefit. I usually meditate with a candle - I find it easier to focus on the flame, although sometimes I just focus on the spot in between my eyes with my eyes closed - you get kind of reddy-black fuzziness, depending on the light. I also usually have music on softly, otherwise I get distracted by little noises. I'm not one of those trance meditation people - I still have thoughts in my head, but I just let them float away, rather than consider and rethink everything.

No sweet dreams, only one about being on a cruise ship that tipped sideways and eventually crashed. I thought I was going to die (and of course it seemed so real). My thought was 'I'm going to die. At least I'll now know what life is all about.' And I seemed quite happy to die. Then I realised that I didn't want to die, that I was strong and would hold on. So we crashed, and I was lying on the floor thinking 'Just stay conscious. You do not want to die. Remain conscious.' (I've actually thought this in real life before - I had hit my head when I was in water, and I blacked out for a few secs; that's another story!) All these bodies of dead people were lying around me, and I was in so much pain, but I was holding on to life. A metaphor, maybe?

Hugs,
Rach

>
> > I often do meditation, but I'm finding it harder and harder to concentrate as my anxiety worsens. I've been thinking about putting together a folder on meditation techniques for PB. Would you be interested in helping me with it? I can talk to you about specifics on ICQ. Let me know. Hope you had sweet dreams.
> >
> > Hugs, Greg

 

Re: Meditation-Greg and Oddzilla and Rach

Posted by Angela5 on July 18, 2000, at 23:32:56

In reply to Re: Meditation-Greg and Oddzilla, posted by Rach on July 18, 2000, at 21:25:31

I recently began to try meditation, basically because I have absolutely no concept of how to relax (and the muscle tension to show it). I bought a guided tape from the bookstore, but I'm not very fond of it. I like the guided tape concept for me to start with, though, and I was wondering if any of you could recommend ones that you like?

Thanks,

Angela

 

Re: Meditation-Rach

Posted by Greg on July 19, 2000, at 10:37:14

In reply to Re: Meditation-Greg and Oddzilla, posted by Rach on July 18, 2000, at 21:25:31

Rach, I'm planning to do some work on this over the weekend. I can give you folder details at that time. It might be best to try to setup a time to talk on ICQ before then and we can hammer out all the details. I think you're about 13-14 hours ahead of me, so lets set something up that doesn't require you to be out of bed at 2am or something rediculous like that! I can work around your schedule. Let me know what works for you. I think we have some quite different techniques that people here will find very interesting and useful.

Hugs,
Greg

 

Re: Meditation-Oddzilla and Angela

Posted by Greg on July 19, 2000, at 11:23:54

In reply to Re: Meditation-Greg and Oddzilla and Rach, posted by Angela5 on July 18, 2000, at 23:32:56

Morning!

The two types of meditation I find most beneficial are Tibetan and Chinese, Tibetan techniques are used more for inner peace and relaxation, while Chinese techniques are better for focus and concentration, which can be very helpful to those with Attention Deficit. There are many sites on the I-net that will help you with either of these. I don't know that I could do either justice by trying to explain them here. I will include site links to both in the folder that Rach and I will be doing.

I learned my med techniques from a Karate sensei. A few important things to remember are to make sure you have complete quiet and a comfortable place to practice. If you have family in the house, make sure they agree to leave you alone while doing it. No outside disturbances! Rach prefers gentle music when meditating, I like tapes of ocean sounds or rain falling, sometimes I like to have no sounds at all. Find what is comfortable for you.

Tapes and books are fine, but I see them as trying to re-build a car engine by reading the repair manual. Meditation is an practiced art. You won't achieve peace overnight, but it will come with time and dedication. I hope the folder will help you with this. We'll let you know when it's up and available, hopefully by next Monday. If you have any specific questions I can help you with, please let me know. I'm sure Rach can add some info here as well.

Have a peaceful day,
Greg

> I recently began to try meditation, basically because I have absolutely no concept of how to relax (and the muscle tension to show it). I bought a guided tape from the bookstore, but I'm not very fond of it. I like the guided tape concept for me to start with, though, and I was wondering if any of you could recommend ones that you like?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Angela

 

Re: Meditation- Angela5

Posted by Oddzilla on July 19, 2000, at 12:09:22

In reply to Re: Meditation-Greg and Oddzilla and Rach, posted by Angela5 on July 18, 2000, at 23:32:56


Angela I use the breaking through pain guided meditations from Shinzen Young. They were specifically for people living with chronic pain but anxiety and depression are definitely painful and they suited me very well.His method is based on Vipassana meditation or mindfullness. This is his website if you're interested

http://shinzen.org/

I first found his tapes in the library. I think everyone has to try different things and go with what is right for them. The library was a cheap way to try out different tapes without buying anything!

On my own I have used the traditional Christian centering prayer.

The tapes or methods that work best for me are the simplest. Too much clenching and relaxing of muscles and visualizing, etc aren't for me. The most important part for me is JUST DO IT (the Nike school of meditation?). Oddzilla


> I recently began to try meditation, basically because I have absolutely no concept of how to relax (and the muscle tension to show it). I bought a guided tape from the bookstore, but I'm not very fond of it. I like the guided tape concept for me to start with, though, and I was wondering if any of you could recommend ones that you like?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Angela

 

Re: Meditation-Rach

Posted by Rach on July 19, 2000, at 21:15:36

In reply to Re: Meditation-Rach, posted by Greg on July 19, 2000, at 10:37:14

Greg,
Sure. Umm...it's 12pm Thurs here now, so that must mean it's 11pm Wed where you are. We could try say 9am my time Sat, which will be 8pm Friday for you. (I'm busy on Sunday, so that's out for me). Let me know if that works for you. Also, I haven't gotten your ICQ details yet - have you sent them?
Rach

> Rach, I'm planning to do some work on this over the weekend. I can give you folder details at that time. It might be best to try to setup a time to talk on ICQ before then and we can hammer out all the details. I think you're about 13-14 hours ahead of me, so lets set something up that doesn't require you to be out of bed at 2am or something rediculous like that! I can work around your schedule. Let me know what works for you. I think we have some quite different techniques that people here will find very interesting and useful.
>
> Hugs,
> Greg

 

Re: Meditation- Angela5

Posted by Rach on July 19, 2000, at 21:29:43

In reply to Re: Meditation- Angela5, posted by Oddzilla on July 19, 2000, at 12:09:22

Angela,

As Greg has said, it is hard to do justice to meditation techniques in a msg. I'll do my best, though, to give you some ideas. I think one of the best meditation tapes you can use is one that you have made yourself. You already own one, so you can follow along the guidelines of that, or you can do something totally different on your own. The best thing about making your own tape is that it is specifically tailored for you - and you won't be distracted by things like a stranger's voice nuances. Think carefully about what relaxes you - is it tightening your muscles, then relaxing deep into yourself, is it visualing a scene in your head, like being on the beach, or of imagining something (for example, a horse) that you've always wanted?

You could play some music softly in the background of the tape (normal music, whale 'talk' - whatever you like), and then lead yourself through the way you would like to meditate. I suggest you write a 'script' to read slowly and softly onto the tape. For example -

"Close your eyes. Take a deep breath in. Blow it out. Feel all the tension release from your muscles. Feel the sensation of loose muscles. Breathe slowly. See yourself lying on a beach. Feel the warm sun stroking your body. Smell the salty breeze. Breathe deeply - in and now release." Continue on describing the scene, reminding yourself to breathe and relax.

You could also visualise light - see white, cleansing light entering your body as you breathe in - filling you up from your toes to your fingertips, all the way to your brain. Then visualise all the negative energy - dark, smoky light (or whatever you prefer) leaving your body as you breathe out. You could combine this with a beach scene - the possibilities are endless.

I hope you find the peace you seek,
Rach

 

Re: Meditation Rach

Posted by Greg on July 19, 2000, at 21:49:29

In reply to Re: Meditation-Rach, posted by Rach on July 19, 2000, at 21:15:36

Rach,

That time works fine for me. I can still see you on my ICQ, wonder why you can't see me??? Anyway, my number is: 59098937. I'm on right now.

Greg

> Greg,
> Sure. Umm...it's 12pm Thurs here now, so that must mean it's 11pm Wed where you are. We could try say 9am my time Sat, which will be 8pm Friday for you. (I'm busy on Sunday, so that's out for me). Let me know if that works for you. Also, I haven't gotten your ICQ details yet - have you sent them?
> Rach
>
> > Rach, I'm planning to do some work on this over the weekend. I can give you folder details at that time. It might be best to try to setup a time to talk on ICQ before then and we can hammer out all the details. I think you're about 13-14 hours ahead of me, so lets set something up that doesn't require you to be out of bed at 2am or something rediculous like that! I can work around your schedule. Let me know what works for you. I think we have some quite different techniques that people here will find very interesting and useful.
> >
> > Hugs,
> > Greg

 

Re: Meditation-Rach another P.S.

Posted by Greg on July 19, 2000, at 22:04:36

In reply to Re: Meditation-Rach, posted by Rach on July 19, 2000, at 21:15:36

For knowing how difficult it is to explain meditation in a message, I think you did a wonderful job!

 

Re: Meditation-Rach, Greg, Oddzilla

Posted by Angela5 on July 19, 2000, at 23:20:25

In reply to Re: Meditation-Rach another P.S., posted by Greg on July 19, 2000, at 22:04:36

Thanks, you all have given me some better ideas on where to go from here. It's just so ironic that I actually find learning to relax stressful... ;)

Oddzilla, I know what you mean about Nike Therapy - sometimes it takes that to get through the day, as all of you know.

Thanks,

Angela


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.