Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 1016

Shown: posts 405 to 429 of 1313. Go back in thread:

 

Effexor: Long Term Effects

Posted by BJlass on January 10, 2004, at 15:20:21

In reply to Re: Stay away from Effexor sick of being sick, posted by Roomy on January 8, 2004, at 6:23:38

I am so angry about being put on Effexor I cannot tell you! I feel like I've been used as a guinea pig! Plus, to top it off, I can't get in touch with the prescribing doctor as she went out of business and will not return any phone calls! How's that for professionalism?!

My question is this: Has anyone else had a "spacey" type of feeing in the front of their head AFTER getting off Effexor? I've been off ALMOST A YEAR NOW!!!! and still have this WEIRD sensation in my forehead. I can't explain it -- it's sometimes like a headache, sometimes like a tightness, sometimes just a weird spacey but physical feeling. I think we all need to file a class action lawsuit against the drug manufacturer!!! and the prescribing physicians who didn't tell us the "side effects." Have we changed our brains permanently??????????

 

Re: Effexor: Long Term Effects

Posted by Roomy on January 10, 2004, at 16:48:49

In reply to Effexor: Long Term Effects, posted by BJlass on January 10, 2004, at 15:20:21

wow you sound like me. My doctor also went out of business (after practicing without a license for a year and a half) and left me with TWO pills left. I had to get a new doctor and quick! Thank God the new doctor also prescribed Effexor and knew all about it. He put me on a weaning schedule and now I am off it. He is taking all of his patients off it! As for the spacey feeling in my head...yeah! Got it! Even after 11 days without the drug. I do feel better every day and if there ever is a class action suit against the drug manufacturer or this local doctor, I will be first on the list. Part of the punishment for the drug manufacturer and my EX-doctor should be that they go on effexor. Get them on a 275mg dose or better for one year. THEN recall the drug and make it unavailable to them. HA! Cold turkey!

 

Re: Effexor: Long Term Effects

Posted by ann72 on January 11, 2004, at 8:56:09

In reply to Re: Effexor: Long Term Effects, posted by Roomy on January 10, 2004, at 16:48:49

is effexor getting pulled off the market? i take it and next week my pdoc wants to up my dose to 300+ mg........

 

Re: Effexor: Long Term Effects

Posted by baddog55 on January 11, 2004, at 12:22:04

In reply to Re: Effexor: Long Term Effects, posted by Roomy on January 10, 2004, at 16:48:49

Roomy,
I am interested in knowing what your weaning schedule was. I was only on 75 mg but to wean me, my dr put me on 37.5 for two weeks and said that should be fine. It's not. Any suggestions?
thanks

 

Re: Effexor: Long Term Effects baddog55

Posted by roomy on January 12, 2004, at 10:03:02

In reply to Re: Effexor: Long Term Effects, posted by baddog55 on January 11, 2004, at 12:22:04

baddog,
wow! that seems fast to me! once I slowly got down to the 37.5 every day point (which was tough in itself) then I took the 37.5mg for about 3-4 weeks. Then I took it every other day for two weeks and then stopped. It was still really rough. if you are not down to the 37.5 every day yet you might try 75mg one day and 37.5 the next for a couple weeks. Then 37.5 every day. Go slowly! Talk to you doctor about it. He will probably ok a slower weaning process rather than a quicker one. Good luck and hang in there. I am feeling sooooooo very much better now.
And to the previous poster...I dont think they are taking effexor off the market. What I was getting at is they should hook all the doctors on the drug and THEN take it off the market so they cant get anymore and have to quit cold turkey! Personally I think they should take it off the market but no, I havnt heard of that yet. I was just making a 'funny' :)

 

Re: Effexor: Long Term Effects

Posted by KimberlyDi on January 12, 2004, at 13:01:46

In reply to Re: Effexor: Long Term Effects, posted by ann72 on January 11, 2004, at 8:56:09

Effexor is effective for many people. Other people have had bad experiences with it (as well as other medications). I feel it is still a worthwhile drug and I would still be on it if it weren't for my blood pressure skyrocketing.

I haven't heard anything about Effexor being pulled from the market. I do believe there will be alot of news soon about "withdrawal" from Effexor. I am currently down to 37.5mgs on my taper-off schedule. Rebound depression is kicking my butt.

KDi in TX


> is effexor getting pulled off the market? i take it and next week my pdoc wants to up my dose to 300+ mg........

 

Re: Going through Effexor Withdrawl now

Posted by allalone on January 12, 2004, at 22:47:39

In reply to Re: Going through Effexor Withdrawl now, posted by Blissful_Girl_NOT on December 31, 2003, at 15:46:48

I'm so glad I found others like myself. It's hard to explain what's going on inside of me. I'm just so happy to finally know what's going on with me. About four days ago I stopped taing Effexor (cold turkey) and for the last two days I've felt a wave of dizziness come and go, and I feel like I want to cry. Hopefully it will stop soon.


 

Effexor w/d and acupuncture

Posted by Dandy on January 13, 2004, at 20:14:57

In reply to Re: Going through Effexor Withdrawl now, posted by allalone on January 12, 2004, at 22:47:39

I've been on Effexor 150mg approx 8-9 years.I'm now on 3rd attempt in 3 years to get off effexor. All have been under the supervision of a Pdoc. The 1st attempt almost cost me my job, friends, and both figuratively and literally, my life. The 2nd attempt was a tapering off over 5 months...unsuccessful. This attempt we are utilizing Prozac to help alleviate the severity of the symptoms. I also started seeing an Acupunture Doc at the beginning of this attempt, during the tapering off period, suprisingly with my pdoc's approval. During that time I was prescribed a Chinese Medicine herbal formula that I could take up to 4x/day to help combat the major w/d symptoms nausea,vomiting,dizziness, confusion,feelings of rage, extreme depression, constant crying).It did not alleviate my symptoms,tho did take the paralyzing 'edge' off of them. Once I went to the 'no-effexor' stage, which I began 4 days ago, I started with daily acupuncture treatments, as well as what they call 'ear seeds' to help continue the effects thru the day. For the most part, the 'protocol' my accu doc is following is the same one that they use for anyone 'quitting' anything like drugs, alcohol, cigerettes, and so on. No, I have not been free of w/d problems,but the difference this time around is unbelievably better...if there is such a thing when it comes to symptoms like this. Has anyone else tried alternative approaches? Good luck, bad luck, no luck? thnx,sorry so long!

 

Re: Effexor, Love and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Posted by Bfly on January 13, 2004, at 23:28:31

In reply to Effexor, Love and the Pursuit of Happiness., posted by wildchild1957 on January 4, 2004, at 13:12:35

> First of all, I would like to say that Effexor XR has to be about the best drug on the market for depression. It saved my life and I highly recommend it to all my friends...lol.
>
> I'd like to start by quoting my psychiatrist that helped me through my recovery..Dr. J, I call him."The medications will only do so much to help you, YOU will have to do the rest."
>
> I am of the opinion that with just medications alone, that a person will never be quite ok. The jouney inward (the good, the bad, and the ugly) is the only sure fire way of curing depression. By breaking down your own personality and ridding yourself of parts that do not serve you to your higher good is the only way for ultimate healing. The accepting of those parts because they were probably invented to protect you, determining if they are really who you are and who you want to be, and then the decision to either keep that part or let it go. This needs to be done with the "Objective Viewer" part of ourselves, the part that doesn't criticize or condemn. It's sort of a Life Review without judgement.
>
> Sit back, buckle up and get ready for a long ride. There are no quick fixes. It took you a long time to get to where you are, but it doesn't have to take that long to "fix" you to where you can stand yourself and love yourself. And remember that those changes will take practice and don't be so rough on yourself if you don't get it right the first try...Tomorrow is another day and you can try again and you will make it..cause THIS IS YOUR LIFE and we are co-creators and We Are Powerful. What matters most is that you keep trying. When being ok with who you are becomes your number one priority...only then will life turn around.
>
> There is not one thing about who you are that you can not change...It is the only real place we have the Power to control and most of the time I found that changing my perspective was the only thing that I could really do and to understand that big question WHY that slams your brain all of your life.
>
> Second, I'd like to discuss my version of getting off of Effexor from 75mg and down.
>
> I suggest taking 37.5mg Effexor XR (extended release) twice a day..morning and night. After about a week. Take one in the morning OR at night. Get the pill form for 37.5mg which is good for 12 hours instead of 24 hours. Take one in the morning and one at night for about a week. Reduce that dose to one 37.5mg pill once a day for a week. Drop to one every other day for a week. Every 3 days. By this time you should be forgetting to take it..lol.
>
> An anti-anxiety med will help with this process. Not to take the place of but to help in the real nervous times. Even benadryl will help. I have found that when I get so bitchy that I can't stand myself...just 1 effexor 37.5mg XR a couple of days will help tremendously. I find myself using them at times on an as needed basis from day to day.
>
> Hope this helps someone. *smiles*
>
> I have a new saying: If you're being who you truly are and who you want to be, then you're PERFECT just the way you are. Perfection is like anything else..It's in the eye of the beholder.
>

I started taking Effexor nearly 10 years ago when I became suicidal on the very high dose of Prozac my Doctor had me on. While in the hospital another Doctor put me on Effexor then
years later I switched to Effexor XR.
What it does for the O.C.D...?
Lectopam , on the other hand, keeps the anxiety on a copable level as long as no one does a surprise act on me.

I have attempted going off both of them, but the side effects were terrible.
The O.C.D. was terrible and the Anxiety attacts
were unbearable.

 

Re: Effexor w/d and acupuncture Dandy

Posted by colin_wallace on January 14, 2004, at 11:05:13

In reply to Effexor w/d and acupuncture, posted by Dandy on January 13, 2004, at 20:14:57

> I've been on Effexor 150mg approx 8-9 years.I'm now on 3rd attempt in 3 years to get off effexor. All have been under the supervision of a Pdoc. The 1st attempt almost cost me my job, friends, and both figuratively and literally, my life. The 2nd attempt was a tapering off over 5 months...unsuccessful. This attempt we are utilizing Prozac to help alleviate the severity of the symptoms. I also started seeing an Acupunture Doc at the beginning of this attempt, during the tapering off period, suprisingly with my pdoc's approval. During that time I was prescribed a Chinese Medicine herbal formula that I could take up to 4x/day to help combat the major w/d symptoms nausea,vomiting,dizziness, confusion,feelings of rage, extreme depression, constant crying).It did not alleviate my symptoms,tho did take the paralyzing 'edge' off of them. Once I went to the 'no-effexor' stage, which I began 4 days ago, I started with daily acupuncture treatments, as well as what they call 'ear seeds' to help continue the effects thru the day. For the most part, the 'protocol' my accu doc is following is the same one that they use for anyone 'quitting' anything like drugs, alcohol, cigerettes, and so on. No, I have not been free of w/d problems,but the difference this time around is unbelievably better...if there is such a thing when it comes to symptoms like this. Has anyone else tried alternative approaches? Good luck, bad luck, no luck? thnx,sorry so long!

>>>>Dandy,

As I type this, I'm fiddling with a 3" acupuncture needle following yesterday's session, and I'm mystified as to whether I've been walking around with a pin sticking out of my head since yesterday, or whether it somehow stuck in my clothes when I left!
Anyway,this is how I managed to beat(well, 'subdue' at least) those dreaded Effexor withdrawals.

1)I did it on holiday on a Malaysian island, where I secluded myself for a month in the sun (not really practical I hear you say).

2)I used high doses of SAM-E(after reducing Effexor to around 17.5mg(and discontinuing completely.Unfortunately, there's no escaping the point where you just can't feasibly go any lower, and just have to stop.

3)I used a small dose of diazepam (5mg or so) twice a day along with the SAM-e for 6 weeks or so.

4)In time, I phased out the Diazepam in favour of Kava Kava , which I was able to take alongside SAM-e.

The first 10 days or so were sleepless and unpleasant to say the least (zaps and all the usual nonsense), but this regimen helped me even more than the Prozac tapering method(which I'd done in the past also).

But ulimately of course, you need to find your own way.It can be tough, but you can greatly ease things with a little imagination.

Best,

Col.

NB. Sam-e did cause me some irritability (around five months later actually,although short term it was great stuff for me).

 

Excellent post wildchild1957

Posted by KimberlyDi on January 14, 2004, at 13:28:21

In reply to Effexor, Love and the Pursuit of Happiness., posted by wildchild1957 on January 4, 2004, at 13:12:35

Effexor truely helped me find my way home. I got lost in 1997, trying to drink myself to death. When I emerged for longer and longer times of sobriety, I felt I was born again except in a very bad way. Instead of rising from the flames like a phoenix, I was just the shell of my former self. Remembering my past was like remembering an unremarkable movie. Emotionally, I was completely disconnected from it.

Effexor helped me find my lost self. It supported me enough to start feeling my emotions instead of deadening them. And it made me strong enough to go to therapy and face painful truths.

I have to give up the Effexor because of high blood pressure. From 300mg, I'm down to 37.5mg. But I still have what I learned while on it. I've been experiencing major rebound depression but I now have the ability to step back some. Focus on depression as an illness instead of drowning in my despair.

In a way, there is no reality. Perception is everything. I had to change how I look at life and "get real" about my expectations. I stopped worrying so much about the future because I only have to deal with the present.

It was a relief to finally reach this state of mind. :)

KDi in TX


> First of all, I would like to say that Effexor XR has to be about the best drug on the market for depression. It saved my life and I highly recommend it to all my friends...lol.
>
> I'd like to start by quoting my psychiatrist that helped me through my recovery..Dr. J, I call him."The medications will only do so much to help you, YOU will have to do the rest."
>
> I am of the opinion that with just medications alone, that a person will never be quite ok. The jouney inward (the good, the bad, and the ugly) is the only sure fire way of curing depression. By breaking down your own personality and ridding yourself of parts that do not serve you to your higher good is the only way for ultimate healing. The accepting of those parts because they were probably invented to protect you, determining if they are really who you are and who you want to be, and then the decision to either keep that part or let it go. This needs to be done with the "Objective Viewer" part of ourselves, the part that doesn't criticize or condemn. It's sort of a Life Review without judgement.
>
> Sit back, buckle up and get ready for a long ride. There are no quick fixes. It took you a long time to get to where you are, but it doesn't have to take that long to "fix" you to where you can stand yourself and love yourself. And remember that those changes will take practice and don't be so rough on yourself if you don't get it right the first try...Tomorrow is another day and you can try again and you will make it..cause THIS IS YOUR LIFE and we are co-creators and We Are Powerful. What matters most is that you keep trying. When being ok with who you are becomes your number one priority...only then will life turn around.
>
> There is not one thing about who you are that you can not change...It is the only real place we have the Power to control and most of the time I found that changing my perspective was the only thing that I could really do and to understand that big question WHY that slams your brain all of your life.
>
> Second, I'd like to discuss my version of getting off of Effexor from 75mg and down.
>
> I suggest taking 37.5mg Effexor XR (extended release) twice a day..morning and night. After about a week. Take one in the morning OR at night. Get the pill form for 37.5mg which is good for 12 hours instead of 24 hours. Take one in the morning and one at night for about a week. Reduce that dose to one 37.5mg pill once a day for a week. Drop to one every other day for a week. Every 3 days. By this time you should be forgetting to take it..lol.
>
> An anti-anxiety med will help with this process. Not to take the place of but to help in the real nervous times. Even benadryl will help. I have found that when I get so bitchy that I can't stand myself...just 1 effexor 37.5mg XR a couple of days will help tremendously. I find myself using them at times on an as needed basis from day to day.
>
> Hope this helps someone. *smiles*
>
> I have a new saying: If you're being who you truly are and who you want to be, then you're PERFECT just the way you are. Perfection is like anything else..It's in the eye of the beholder.
>
>

 

Re: Excellent post

Posted by Vasterling on January 14, 2004, at 14:22:11

In reply to Excellent post wildchild1957, posted by KimberlyDi on January 14, 2004, at 13:28:21

Effexor did not help me at all. It made me not care about anything. I was emotionless. I did not cry nor was I happy. I do not know why my doctor felt it was necessary for me to be on this drug. I was having a hard time with some very personal issues and my doctor said that I needed the Effexor. I could not sleep or even do my work. I just did not care if it even got done, nor did i care if my bills were paid on time. The constapation was horrendous. I felt like I was just existing and that was it. I have been off the Effexor for 3 weeks. After the first of the withdrawl (which was no picnic) my mind seemed to become clearer. I realized that is totally screwed up my credit and I am having trouble sleeping right now because when i go to sleep all I think about is what bill i need to pay. My finances will get better and so will I. After of about10 days of no symptoms, I am having the dizzyness and quezzyness today, but it is no way in any shape or form worse than the first week of withdrawl. I went from 225mg to 150 mg to 75. From what I have heard the withdrawl does not seem to be any different than dropping down to 37.5 mg. So I just stopped at the 75 mg level. It does get better and when you have a clear mind the world seems to be a better place.

I just wanted to share my story with effexor. Thanks.

 

Re: Excellent post Vasterling

Posted by wildchild1957 on January 14, 2004, at 17:35:07

In reply to Re: Excellent post, posted by Vasterling on January 14, 2004, at 14:22:11

> Effexor did not help me at all. It made me not care about anything. I was emotionless. I did not cry nor was I happy. I do not know why my doctor felt it was necessary for me to be on this drug. I was having a hard time with some very personal issues and my doctor said that I needed the Effexor. I could not sleep or even do my work. I just did not care if it even got done, nor did i care if my bills were paid on time. The constapation was horrendous. I felt like I was just existing and that was it. I have been off the Effexor for 3 weeks. After the first of the withdrawl (which was no picnic) my mind seemed to become clearer. I realized that is totally screwed up my credit and I am having trouble sleeping right now because when i go to sleep all I think about is what bill i need to pay. My finances will get better and so will I. After of about10 days of no symptoms, I am having the dizzyness and quezzyness today, but it is no way in any shape or form worse than the first week of withdrawl. I went from 225mg to 150 mg to 75. From what I have heard the withdrawl does not seem to be any different than dropping down to 37.5 mg. So I just stopped at the 75 mg level. It does get better and when you have a clear mind the world seems to be a better place.
>
> I just wanted to share my story with effexor. Thanks.

It sounds alot like the Effexor made you even more depressed. That happened to me with Zoloft. Depression has so many faces (sadness, anger and rage, disconnection, to name a few)and it becomes easy to wreck your life when you're in this shape. To feel hopeless stops you from wanting to do anything about anything and time doesn't seem to be an important thing. It's easy to lose track of time and your own mind. It is an existence that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

 

Re: Stay away from Effexor Roomy

Posted by delilahj on January 14, 2004, at 20:43:46

In reply to Re: Stay away from Effexor sick of being sick, posted by Roomy on January 8, 2004, at 6:23:38

> > > Suzi
> >
> > Thanks - It's day nine and my doctor gave me 20mg of Prozac yesterday to help with the Effexor withdrawals for the next 2 weeks. I'm actually feeling a lot better and plan on going back to work tomorrow.
> >
> > The hardest thing is what to say to people when they ask "What's wrong, are you sick? Why haven't you been at work?" I'm a terrible lier but don't want anybody to think I was "addicted" to any drugs.
> >
> > You should stop feeling the worse soon. You need to let people who love you know and warn them that you are very irrational now. Whatever you do - don't take anymore or the cycle will go on and on. If you've made it 6 days you can make it. The worse will end real soon. I did a lot of damage to relationships in days 3 through 5. Try not to let that happen to you. Hope it all goes well for you. Suzi
> >
> >
> I am on day 9 of my new Effexor-free life! (incert fanfare here) FINALLY I feel like I can get thru a day without sitting on the couch, gazing off into complete nothingness wondering if I have done the right thing. I have been on Effexor (or friends, Paxil and Serzone) for about
> 7 years now. I had no clue that they were addictiong drugs. I had no clue that I would have so much trouble getting OFF the drugs. I had no clue that I would have trouble getting OFF with my hubby while ON the drugs...(sorry that was crude I know) :) my point is...I had no clue! I counted on my doctor to know. I PAID my doctor to have at least HALF a clue. I think I need my money back!
> I do have a question. Its been so long since I have been drug free, I forget how I used to act. Since I am on day 9 drug free, I have had a few bad months of weaning down and then the full blown withdrawl when I finally stopped and I have been a bit...well...crabby perhaps? (my hubby and children would have a better word for it I am sure) Now my hubby says....GET BACK ON IT!! I am wondering, Am I just feeling this way because of the withdrawl or am I just naturally a bitch?
>
I feel EXACTLY the same way!!! Everything is practically identical to my story. I feel like I don't like the person I've become while on effexor, and the person I seem to become when I go OFF it is downright scary. What to do? I know the frustration of it is enfuriating me with the pharmaceutical community! They really like throwing those free samples around (until you're a full blown addict!) And sadly, we were willing participants in our own duping! But they dangle that carrot of happiness, so seductively...how harmful could a little pill be anyway, right? We believe what we want to believe, so I guess belief in oneself is what we've got to focus on now. Good luck to you, and don't be too bitchy!!!lol

 

Re: Going through Effexor Withdrawl now

Posted by delilahj on January 14, 2004, at 21:27:16

In reply to Re: Going through Effexor Withdrawl now, posted by allalone on January 12, 2004, at 22:47:39

Be careful with the cold turkey approach. The symptoms may seem bearable at first, but then something kicks in when you least expect it. Complete meltdowns are not uncommon! Remember, the person you feel like now isn't really how you are. You will see yourself again, just hang in. Check into tapering, even if it's just 37.5 every other day. You'd be surprised at how much it eases the symptoms, although you will still experience some. Also, I find that avoiding dehydration is important during the process. Best wishes to you.

 

Re: Effexor w/d and acupuncture colin_wallace

Posted by Dandy on January 15, 2004, at 0:29:54

In reply to Re: Effexor w/d and acupuncture Dandy, posted by colin_wallace on January 14, 2004, at 11:05:13

Col,THANK YOU for sharing your story and your method of dampening the effects of the withdrawals. I couldn't help but laugh aloud when you wondered whether you had been walking around with the accupuncture needle in your head or if it was just stuck to your clothes! My doc has actually left a needle in the top of my head...probably the same meridian point and everything! I've been utilizing Chinese medicine and acupunture for a variety of things for several years, and can assure you that nothing bad has ever come from a forgotten needle now and then! except for a few strange looks if it's still sticking out of the top of your head! I appreciate the info on the sam-e and kava kava as well. I believe that the pharmaceutical drugs have a place and a time when they should be used, and for everyone that is their personal choice. For me, as someone in one of the threads said, "I just want my old crappy life back". In retrospect, my life wasn't so crappy, and yes, at the time I was prescribed effexor the depression was debilitating, and I would have used and paid for snake oil if a doc had promised I would feel better. Now, after a long time of side effects and maybe not such a better way of living thru chemistry, I'm ready to opt for the most natural route I can. As they say, it will be an entire lifestyle change for me, with a professional (actually 2) holding my hand...my pdoc and my accupuncture/chinese medicine doc, after a long strange trip, I am finally ready, with every ounce of my being, to embark on the path that will not be the easiest, the quickest, the simplest, but hopefully in the long run the healthiest both physically and mentally, FOR ME.
Thank you again, Colin, and thank you EVERYONE on this board...you have been an enormous support (w/o knowing it). I'm not going anywhere, and I'll still be here gathering support as I continue in my own saga, but I just wanted to state my appreciation to everyone. Thank you all, Dandy

 

Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by Electron_Guy on January 16, 2004, at 12:44:34

In reply to Re: Excellent post, posted by Vasterling on January 14, 2004, at 14:22:11

I quit cold turkey in July, after fighting with high blood pressure for a year. I was on Effexor XR, 150mg twice a day, for just over 3 years. It was great for my depression, but I was taking the Effexor, which caused high blood pressure, and Lotrel for the bp, which can cause depression. This didn't make much sense to me, so I decided to quit it. My BP went down, but not enough, so I am on another medication (benicar) for the bp without the side effects of the lotrel.
I went through some interesting withdrawl from the Effexor, the most curious one being a whooshing sound in my ears when I moved my eyes from side to side to look at things. It took about 3 weeks for all the side effects to go away.

The problem I have now, is that I've lost my next older brother Dec 2, and now my father died almost one month to the day later. I had been starting to spiral down after getting off the Effexor, now I've taken a nose dive, and really wish I was still on it. I've seen my primary guy and gotten on Lexapro, but getting up in the morning is a major effort. That and I've had to take several weeks off work to deal with my father, who lived in another state. I guess I shouldn't be too upset with myself for staggering under the load. But I am really having trouble remembering that life is worth living.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by Vasterling on January 16, 2004, at 13:29:50

In reply to Effexor Withdrawl, posted by Electron_Guy on January 16, 2004, at 12:44:34

In response to Electron_Guy

The primary focus is to remember that life is worth living no matter how hard it gets. I know about the feelings of worthlessness. I have had my share plus some of baaaad things happen to me all my life, however I know in my heart that God will never give me more than I can handle if I always look to God for help and answers. So please remember that life is precious and someone out there will miss you and hurt terribly if you end your life.

 

Re: Effexor: Long Term Effects

Posted by flyingdreams on January 16, 2004, at 15:27:06

In reply to Re: Effexor: Long Term Effects, posted by Roomy on January 10, 2004, at 16:48:49

Thanks for the laugh!!! LOL :

"Part of the punishment for the drug manufacturer and my EX-doctor should be that they go on effexor. Get them on a 275mg dose or better for one year. THEN recall the drug and make it unavailable to them. HA! Cold turkey!"

wouldn't that be grand!

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by flyingdreams on January 16, 2004, at 16:09:04

In reply to Effexor Withdrawl, posted by Electron_Guy on January 16, 2004, at 12:44:34

I'm sorry for your losses! Death is a really hard thing to deal with even under the best of circumstances. Allow yourself to grieve and know that the pain will lessen over time. I find it takes me about 3 months to not feel so much pain over a death, each month during those 3 months of course being better than the one before. Hang in there, it will get better.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by baddog55 on January 16, 2004, at 20:22:13

In reply to Effexor Withdrawl, posted by Electron_Guy on January 16, 2004, at 12:44:34

ahh, vaster, i just read your post and I am soooo sorry. It will get better. I am still weaning off effexor, 37.5 for the 3rd week, in 2 weeks i'll go to 15 g and see what happens. I just want you to know that you're not alone, we are all supporting you. If you need to talk, just say.. God bless and keep you.

> I quit cold turkey in July, after fighting with high blood pressure for a year. I was on Effexor XR, 150mg twice a day, for just over 3 years. It was great for my depression, but I was taking the Effexor, which caused high blood pressure, and Lotrel for the bp, which can cause depression. This didn't make much sense to me, so I decided to quit it. My BP went down, but not enough, so I am on another medication (benicar) for the bp without the side effects of the lotrel.
> I went through some interesting withdrawl from the Effexor, the most curious one being a whooshing sound in my ears when I moved my eyes from side to side to look at things. It took about 3 weeks for all the side effects to go away.
>
> The problem I have now, is that I've lost my next older brother Dec 2, and now my father died almost one month to the day later. I had been starting to spiral down after getting off the Effexor, now I've taken a nose dive, and really wish I was still on it. I've seen my primary guy and gotten on Lexapro, but getting up in the morning is a major effort. That and I've had to take several weeks off work to deal with my father, who lived in another state. I guess I shouldn't be too upset with myself for staggering under the load. But I am really having trouble remembering that life is worth living.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by Electron_Guy on January 17, 2004, at 0:48:51

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by baddog55 on January 16, 2004, at 20:22:13

Well, cautiously, I have to say I think the lexapro is kicking in, my mood is much improved, and I've managed to get some things done that needed to be done. Tomorrow will provide some more evidence. It has been like I go to bed one person and wake up as another very undirected person. I'm really hoping tomorrow I wake up still motivated. I'll let you all know.

Thanks for the replies, and encouragement.


> ahh, vaster, i just read your post and I am soooo sorry. It will get better. I am still weaning off effexor, 37.5 for the 3rd week, in 2 weeks i'll go to 15 g and see what happens. I just want you to know that you're not alone, we are all supporting you. If you need to talk, just say.. God bless and keep you.
>
>
>
>
>
> > I quit cold turkey in July, after fighting with high blood pressure for a year. I was on Effexor XR, 150mg twice a day, for just over 3 years. It was great for my depression, but I was taking the Effexor, which caused high blood pressure, and Lotrel for the bp, which can cause depression. This didn't make much sense to me, so I decided to quit it. My BP went down, but not enough, so I am on another medication (benicar) for the bp without the side effects of the lotrel.
> > I went through some interesting withdrawl from the Effexor, the most curious one being a whooshing sound in my ears when I moved my eyes from side to side to look at things. It took about 3 weeks for all the side effects to go away.
> >
> > The problem I have now, is that I've lost my next older brother Dec 2, and now my father died almost one month to the day later. I had been starting to spiral down after getting off the Effexor, now I've taken a nose dive, and really wish I was still on it. I've seen my primary guy and gotten on Lexapro, but getting up in the morning is a major effort. That and I've had to take several weeks off work to deal with my father, who lived in another state. I guess I shouldn't be too upset with myself for staggering under the load. But I am really having trouble remembering that life is worth living.
>
>

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by Roomy on January 17, 2004, at 11:53:03

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by Electron_Guy on January 17, 2004, at 0:48:51

Hey Vaster, Roomy here. Know that I, too am hear to listen if you need to chat. Heck, anyone who wants to chat on yahoo messenger I am there. my Id is Roomyzoomy. I am off effexor now for my 19th day. I am feeling better physically and each day I do things more and more like the old me. I have found that when we go out (and we do quite often, too often actually. Next I will be on a 'going off beer' forum)I tend to actually laugh and joke and talk alot. For years I was just sitting there drinking my beer and listening to others. I also am getting my energy back to do the things around my house that needed doing. I found that setting TINY goals for myself each day and actually reaching those goals, makes me feel so good about myself. I mean TINY goals: 'today I will get out of bed and actually MAKE it!' lol My sense of humor has helped me thru the withdrawl alot. posting little notes here to attempt to bring a smile (no matter how small) to others makes me feel a bit more worthwhile. I truely could not have gone off this drug without this forum. Its nice to know that other people really DO know what I am and was going thru. Family and friends have offered me support and have really been good but they just dont understand like all of you here. Thanks so much. Let me return the favor to anyone who wants to chat. E-mail or yahoo chat, it makes no difference to me.
thisisfun@hotmail.com

 

Re: Effexor: Long Term Effects

Posted by Aubrey13 on January 18, 2004, at 2:08:08

In reply to Re: Effexor: Long Term Effects, posted by baddog55 on January 11, 2004, at 12:22:04

I took myself off Effexor because of the side effects. It took me a while to realize; the incontinence, that drone like feeling, I felt strung out all the time, and on occasion I think it brought on mania, and the sluttiness. I was on 300mg a day for a year and a half tapered off quickly then stopped about two weeks ago. I was expecting horrific pain coming off it. I feel better than ever. I just can't watch the News or Ill cry but I always been that way. When I was pregnant I cried at a Rice Crispy commercial.

Am I fooling myself? Next week am I going to crave Effexor? I haven't been able to talk to my doctor yet. She'll probably put me on another anti-depressant. I take Lithium and I know I need it. I really don't want to take another drug unless I really have to. Has anyone had to experience of trading on anti-depressant for another? Talk to me.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawl

Posted by BADDOG55 on January 18, 2004, at 21:11:40

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawl, posted by Roomy on January 17, 2004, at 11:53:03

OMG! This post was put here for me! I am still weaning at 37.5, going to half of that in 2 weeks. I know exactly what you mean about TIny goals. Today, I did one thing I was putting off, washing my sheets and remaking the bed. I did it and it felt wonderful! It's so stupid that a little thing like that can make you feel more in control, but it's true! Thanks for your post, I took it to heart. Wish me luck in 2 weeks...

> Hey Vaster, Roomy here. Know that I, too am hear to listen if you need to chat. Heck, anyone who wants to chat on yahoo messenger I am there. my Id is Roomyzoomy. I am off effexor now for my 19th day. I am feeling better physically and each day I do things more and more like the old me. I have found that when we go out (and we do quite often, too often actually. Next I will be on a 'going off beer' forum)I tend to actually laugh and joke and talk alot. For years I was just sitting there drinking my beer and listening to others. I also am getting my energy back to do the things around my house that needed doing. I found that setting TINY goals for myself each day and actually reaching those goals, makes me feel so good about myself. I mean TINY goals: 'today I will get out of bed and actually MAKE it!' lol My sense of humor has helped me thru the withdrawl alot. posting little notes here to attempt to bring a smile (no matter how small) to others makes me feel a bit more worthwhile. I truely could not have gone off this drug without this forum. Its nice to know that other people really DO know what I am and was going thru. Family and friends have offered me support and have really been good but they just dont understand like all of you here. Thanks so much. Let me return the favor to anyone who wants to chat. E-mail or yahoo chat, it makes no difference to me.
> thisisfun@hotmail.com
>
>


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.