Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 133458

Shown: posts 177 to 201 of 1242. Go back in thread:

 

Re: Strattera

Posted by wowy on January 29, 2003, at 15:09:06

In reply to Re: Strattera wowy, posted by Dog Breath on January 29, 2003, at 14:49:36

Hey D-
The "brightening" effect was pretty immediate...However I did start with 80 mg...from
reading the posts here I see that's a fairly high dose...Also, that feeling was more pronounced the first few days...Now, I've gotten used to it. But still my office mate has noticed
the difference so...I am hopeful that it will continue to work. I have some room for additional dosage at some point down the line.

 

Re: Strattera-Any rebound?

Posted by zenclear on January 29, 2003, at 16:09:17

In reply to Re: Strattera, posted by wowy on January 29, 2003, at 15:09:06

Do any of you notice any rebound effects, when the Strattera wears off? Say, any fatigue or mood dip?

I know most of you say you like it because there's rebound like stims; but do you notice any effects when the med wears off?

 

Re: Strattera-Any rebound?

Posted by mshyper on January 29, 2003, at 16:29:05

In reply to Re: Strattera-Any rebound?, posted by zenclear on January 29, 2003, at 16:09:17

> Do any of you notice any rebound effects, when the Strattera wears off? Say, any fatigue or mood dip?
> I know most of you say you like it because there's rebound like stims; but do you notice any effects when the med wears off?

Started Strattera 8:30 this am-18mg-have a little fatigue now, about 4:30, but not sure if that is due to initial med adjustment, or due to low starting dose. Felt absolutely great earlier today, few minor SE's

 

Re: Strattera, Buspar, Wellbutrin disney4

Posted by not exactly on January 29, 2003, at 17:09:11

In reply to Re: hypersensitivity, depression not exactly, posted by disney4 on January 29, 2003, at 14:30:58

> Have you heard of any one getting TD from Buspar?

Nope. The PDR mentions it as a theoretical possibility (based on Buspar's receptor affinities), but claims it's never happened.

> would you know if Wellbutrin and Straterra work on the same neurotransmitters?

Strattera is very specific to norepinephrine (that's its claim to fame). My understanding about Wellbutrin is that it affects norepinephrine primarily, but also affects dopamine & serotonin to lesser extents.

 

Re:Strattera anxiety/depression-wellburtrin my sto

Posted by tia on January 29, 2003, at 19:00:35

In reply to Re:Strattera for anxiety/depression-DB, posted by nmk on January 29, 2003, at 14:04:48


This is my story: Hopefully short

I had been on 100mg of anafranil and 150mg of wellbutrin and was sweating to the point of dripping. I also did not feel my depression was controlled enough with the wellbutrin. However my anxiety was just fine because of the anafranil. I told my doctor to try to put me on one medication for both anxiety and depression. I started with 40mg of strattera for about 5 days and noticed that immediately i felt energy and my appetite diminish. I also know that i had some increase in anxiety too. I went and started taking 60mg on friday 24th of jan. On Monday the 27th I decreased my anfranil to 50mg. As of tuesday night the 28th i started with anxiety attacks and have lasted thru wednesday. I called my doctor and asked maybe if i should stay on the 100mg of anafranil and do the 80mg of strattera. I have not recv a call back. I am going to take a 50mg of anafranil tonight (wed) and 80mg of the strattera in the morning.

I dont like giving up on meds to early. Sometimes our body has to have time to adjust to certain meds. I am going to take the 80mg and see what happens the next few days.

Strattera side effects on the sexuall part, i personally think because i am in a better mood and more energetic i am more sexually stimulated too. The appetite thing i feel fuller than usual.

My dose of strattera is taken at 8am in the morning and by 10:30pm i am ready to hit the sack. I am not in a demanding office job either so i have moderate exercise during the day watching children.

I am always reading posts so i will post back if anyone has questions.

Tia

 

Re: Strattera-Any rebound?

Posted by wowy on January 29, 2003, at 19:25:14

In reply to Re: Strattera-Any rebound?, posted by zenclear on January 29, 2003, at 16:09:17

> Do any of you notice any rebound effects, when the Strattera wears off? Say, any fatigue or mood dip?
>
> I know most of you say you like it because there's rebound like stims; but do you notice any effects when the med wears off?

I don't feel any rebound or wearing off effects with strattera...

 

Re: Strattera-Any rebound? wowy

Posted by mshyper on January 29, 2003, at 20:30:58

In reply to Re: Strattera-Any rebound?, posted by wowy on January 29, 2003, at 19:25:14

> > Do any of you notice any rebound effects, when the Strattera wears off? Say, any fatigue or mood dip?
> >
> > I know most of you say you like it because there's rebound like stims; but do you notice any effects when the med wears off?
>
> I don't feel any rebound or wearing off effects with strattera...

what is your dosage of strattera?

 

desipramine instead of Strattera?

Posted by not exactly on January 30, 2003, at 5:52:12

In reply to Re: Strattera-Any rebound? wowy, posted by mshyper on January 29, 2003, at 20:30:58

Strattera is the first "selective" norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor to be approved in the US, but there are other "mostly" norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors available. Desipramine (a tricyclic AD) is perhaps the best example of this. It's been around so long that it is available as a generic.

I had been planning to try Strattera, but when I found out that it is not (yet) covered by BC/BS (and of course it's expensive), I decided that desipramine might be a reasonable alternative. BTW, my main problem is depression (chronic atypical) with some ADD symptoms, rather than classic ADHD by itself. Does anyone have any experience w/ desipramine? Thoughts about effectiveness, side effects? Any reason to suspect it might not be an acceptable substiture for Strattera?

Note that I've already started another thread about desipramine [http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20030125/msgs/137808.html], so if you plan to reply regarding the use of desipramine as an AD, you may want to post in that thread instead of here. However, messages that compare desipramine to Strattera, or discuss the suitability of desipramine as an ADHD treatment, probably belong in this Strattera thread.

BTW, if you're curious about my previous medication successes & failures, see http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20030125/msgs/137593.html.

- Bob

 

Re: Straterra Updates?

Posted by harper on January 30, 2003, at 9:50:08

In reply to Re: Straterra Updates? Peter S., posted by not exactly on January 27, 2003, at 14:35:04

This is my experience with Strattera for my daughter after 3 weeks:

My 13 year old daughter who has ADHD and depression has been on Strattera for almost 3 weeks. She was previously on Concerta (54mg) and Zoloft. She didn't seem to be doing well on the Zoloft and her teachers reported that she was very agitated and unfocused. She's very difficult with me (I take so much!), so a lot of times it's hard to tell what her real mood is. She's tried lots of different SSRI's over the years and they all seem to lose their affect after awhile. In anticipation of the Strattera, her doctor stated having her taper off the Zoloft about 10 days before I got the Strattera.

She switched cold turkey from just Concerta to Strattera. Initially, in the first few days of 25mg. of Strattera, I noticed a very positive affect. She seemed happier and sweeter. Her doctor upped her to 40 mg after 4 days and it all in all, everything seemed positive. She did vomit one morning about 1 week after she started the med and then 2 days later, but I just assumed it was a stomach virus. However, after reading lots of posts on MANY different boards, I now realize that vomiting was probably a side effect.

After about 10 more days I upped her dosage from 40 to 65.
I did this because of all the reading I have done and also I had talked extensively to the manager of a clinical trial here in my area. This trial has been going on for about 6 years. The mgr said the optimal dose for her weight was about 72 mg. based on their experience. Anyway, on 65 mg. my daughter's mood has become horrible. She has become tearful, verbally combative and moody. She has never been an easy child by any means, but this behavior is about as bad as I've seen in a very long time. I was so hopeful with the Strattera. I am going to reduce her dosage down to 40 mg again and hope for an improvement.

By the way, her teachers report a calmer, focused and less hyper child. Maybe she just takes out all her aggressions on me. Also, it is hard to separate out the 13 year stuff from the efficacy of the med. She has delayed puberty and just started developing in the last couple of months. Maybe it's the hormones?

Anyone heard of mixing Strattera with an SSRI?

 

Re: Straterra Updates? harper

Posted by nmk on January 30, 2003, at 10:03:55

In reply to Re: Straterra Updates?, posted by harper on January 30, 2003, at 9:50:08

>
> Anyone heard of mixing Strattera with an SSRI?
>

Yes. I am currently taking 18 mg of strattera with 75 mg of zoloft, which has worked wonders for my depression (I do not have ADHD). Since the zoloft works solely on serotonin and the Strattera on norepinephrine, I guess it is the balance of both that is giving me relief. I know this now because I tried weaning off the zoloft this past week and noticed that my mood was not as elevated. After a few days back on zoloft, I am feeling better again.

 

Re: Strattera, Buspar, Wellbutrin not exactly

Posted by disney4 on January 30, 2003, at 10:39:53

In reply to Re: Strattera, Buspar, Wellbutrin disney4, posted by not exactly on January 29, 2003, at 17:09:11

>> Strattera is very specific to norepinephrine (that's its claim to fame). My understanding about Wellbutrin is that it affects norepinephrine primarily, but also affects dopamine & serotonin to lesser extents.


That is very interesting, because I thought norepinephrine could add to anxiety, yet some people are reporting less anxiety with Straterra than Wellbutrin. I know we are all wired differently, but I wonder if the mechanism of action has more to do with the Straterra causing less anxiety, rather than the neurotransmitter it affects.
Have any other previous Wellbutrin users felt less anxiety on Straterra?

 

Re: desipramine instead of Strattera? not exactly

Posted by Ritch on January 30, 2003, at 11:38:25

In reply to desipramine instead of Strattera?, posted by not exactly on January 30, 2003, at 5:52:12

> Strattera is the first "selective" norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor to be approved in the US, but there are other "mostly" norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors available. Desipramine (a tricyclic AD) is perhaps the best example of this. It's been around so long that it is available as a generic.
>
> I had been planning to try Strattera, but when I found out that it is not (yet) covered by BC/BS (and of course it's expensive), I decided that desipramine might be a reasonable alternative. BTW, my main problem is depression (chronic atypical) with some ADD symptoms, rather than classic ADHD by itself. Does anyone have any experience w/ desipramine? Thoughts about effectiveness, side effects? Any reason to suspect it might not be an acceptable substiture for Strattera?
>
> Note that I've already started another thread about desipramine [http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20030125/msgs/137808.html], so if you plan to reply regarding the use of desipramine as an AD, you may want to post in that thread instead of here. However, messages that compare desipramine to Strattera, or discuss the suitability of desipramine as an ADHD treatment, probably belong in this Strattera thread.
>
> BTW, if you're curious about my previous medication successes & failures, see http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20030125/msgs/137593.html.
>
> - Bob
>


I tried desipramine once and it worked remarkably well for ADHD symptoms, espcially concentration and task follow-through. If you can tolerate TCA side effects OK, it would likely be the best one of all of them (the TCA's) for ADHD. It has a tendency to have more cardiac side effects than some of the other TCA's, though. The main reason I stopped it was elevated heart rate (but Straterra can do that too), and postural hypotension (dizziness-Straterra can do that one too, but probably much less so).

 

Re: Straterra Updates? nmk

Posted by not exactly on January 30, 2003, at 14:25:04

In reply to Re: Straterra Updates? harper, posted by nmk on January 30, 2003, at 10:03:55

> I am currently taking 18 mg of strattera with 75 mg of zoloft, which has worked wonders for my depression

Please clarify. Did you mean that Zoloft worked wonders, or the combination?

Have you ever tried just Zoloft by itself?

- Bob

 

Re: Straterra Updates? not exactly

Posted by nmk on January 30, 2003, at 17:03:02

In reply to Re: Straterra Updates? nmk, posted by not exactly on January 30, 2003, at 14:25:04

> > Please clarify. Did you mean that Zoloft worked wonders, or the combination?
>
> Have you ever tried just Zoloft by itself?
>
> - Bob

Sorry....the zoloft alone didn't seem to do anything, even at 125 mg. When I went down to 75 mg and added the Strattera, this seemed to be the right combo. I thought the Strattera was solely responsible for the change in my mood but proved myself wrong when I weaned off the zoloft. I am back on both and doing well again.
>

 

desipramine instead of Strattera? - not exactly

Posted by BekkaH on January 31, 2003, at 1:10:22

In reply to desipramine instead of Strattera?, posted by not exactly on January 30, 2003, at 5:52:12

> > I had been planning to try Strattera, but when I found out that it is not (yet) covered by BC/BS (and of course it's expensive), I decided that
*************************************************
Hi Bob,
Don't take "No" for an answer from BC/BS. I've had problems like that with my insurance company, and my pdoc has contacted them by phone and in writing, explaining why it is necessary for me to take the medications they don't want to cover. So far, my doctor's efforts have paid off, although it took a lot of persistence. Since you haven't taken Strattera yet, you might have to try it first without reimbursement. Then, if you respond well to it, your doctor should contact your insurance company and explain that you've responded well to this medication and you need it, etc. Are you absolutely certain BC/BS doesn't cover it? It's so new; perhaps it's just not listed in the formulary yet.

Bekka

 

Re: desipramine instead of Strattera? BekkaH

Posted by not exactly on January 31, 2003, at 2:33:33

In reply to desipramine instead of Strattera? - not exactly, posted by BekkaH on January 31, 2003, at 1:10:22

Bekka,

I called the BC/BS member services dept., and they informed me that Strattera was not yet covered because it was so new. However, they reassured me that it was "under review". When I asked how long this process usually took, they were unwilling to give me even a ballpark guesstimate.

They did tell me about "form 434" [http://www.bcbsma.com/common/en_US/pdfs/30001-PriorAuthReferral.pdf] which my pdoc can use to request an exception. Acceptable reasons for granting an exception include "Treatment Failure with all Covered Drugs in Class" and "Documented Adverse Reaction to all Covered Drugs in Class". I would hope that "Absence of any Covered Drugs in Class" also qualifies. :-)

I'm assuming my pdoc would be willing to submit this form, but I haven't mentioned it to him yet. Back when Strattera was approved, he seemed to agree that it made sense for me to try. But when I recently sent him an email informing him that it was finally available for Rx, he simply replied that we'd "discuss it" in our next session. I don't want to be too persistent at this point, for fear of exhibiting "drug seeking behavior". The best solution, of course, would be for him to obtain free samples for me to try (although he's been unwilling to do this with other meds in the past). If Strattera really helped, then he and I would surely do whatever it took to make it possible for me to afford to continue it.

However, I'm starting to think that desipramine might be a better choice for me anyway. After all, I really want an AD, not an ADHD med. I feel that my lack of motivation and focus are just symptoms of my depression. Anyway, I will "discuss it" tomorrow when I see my pdoc. I expect to leave his office with a Rx for *something*, and it better not be another goddamn SSRI!

Wish me luck. I'll report back as soon as I start my new med, whatever it might be.

- Bob

 

desipramine instead of Strattera? - not exactly

Posted by BekkaH on January 31, 2003, at 23:48:37

In reply to Re: desipramine instead of Strattera? BekkaH, posted by not exactly on January 31, 2003, at 2:33:33

> I don't want to be too persistent at this >point, for fear of exhibiting "drug seeking >behavior". The best solution, of course, would >be for him to obtain free samples for me to try >(although he's been unwilling to do this with >other meds in the past). If Strattera really >helped, then he and I would surely do whatever >it took to make it possible for me to afford to continue it.> Bob
>
***********************************************
Hi Bob,
Regarding your concern about "drug-seeking behavior," your doctor should know that Strattera is not a restricted drug. It's not a stimulant, and even if it were, most of the people I've met on this board take stimulants because they need them, and they don't abuse them.

I hope your next med trial goes well. Let us know how you're doing. By the way, I'm interested to know what kind of chemist you are. Of course, you don't have to answer that because I know that privacy and confidentiality are very important issues here, but if you don't feel uncomfortable about it, I'm interested to know whether you are in organic chemistry or some other specialty.
Thanks.
Bekka

 

Re: desipramine instead of Strattera? BekkaH

Posted by not exactly on February 1, 2003, at 3:57:07

In reply to desipramine instead of Strattera? - not exactly, posted by BekkaH on January 31, 2003, at 23:48:37

> Regarding your concern about "drug-seeking behavior"...

Sorry, I should have put a smiley face :-) after that comment - I wasn't *really* worried that he would perceive this to be a problem. However, I do want to save my assertiveness for issues that are truly important.

> I hope your next med trial goes well. Let us know how you're doing.

Saw my pdoc today, and he agreed that desipramine made sense to try at this point. I took my first dose just before I read your message, so I expect my depression to be in full remission by the time I finish posting this reply.
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Yes, I'm joking about this too, but it *is* true that I usually respond quickly to psychotheraputic meds. The ones that have worked in the past took only a few days to kick in. With Effexor, I felt completely cured within 12 hours of my first dose! Unfortunately, it pooped out completely in less than a month - easy come, easy go, I guess.

I will post again to let you know how it's going. But since I'm *not* taking Strattera (this time), most of my progress reports will be posted in the desipramine thread I started [http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20030125/msgs/137808.html]. If I conclude that desipramine is a good ADHD med (rather than "just" an AD) and/or it's an attractive alternative to Strattera, then I will post that opinion here as well.

> By the way, I'm interested to know what kind of chemist you are.

I'm not a *professional* chemist, but it's been a life-long interest. After studying chemistry in college, I ended up with a career in computers (chemistry & computers are both popular fields for those of us with Asperger's Syndrome, fwiw). I still keep up with chemistry as a hobby (primarily thru internet research; no lab work recently). Originally, I was interested in inorganic (specializing in explosives & pyrotechnics) but later switched to organic (specializing in biochemistry & psychophamacology).

It's clear from your posts that you have an excellent understanding of neurochemistry yourself. Are you also a chemist?

And while I'm on the subject of prying into your private life :-) I've noticed that you have never mentioned taking Strattera despite your obvious interest in it. Are you planning to try it in the near future?

- Bob

 

Re: Sedation with Straterra - ok to take at night?

Posted by CindyLou on February 1, 2003, at 8:24:17

In reply to Re: Straterra Updates? harper, posted by nmk on January 30, 2003, at 10:03:55

Yesterday I took 25 mg. Strattera (my pdoc is starting me on a pediatric dose due to my med sensitivity.) After 5 hours, I was so sedated I had to sleep -- it felt like I had taken a couple sleeping pills -- I was virtually being PULLED into sleep. Very strange.

I'm wondering a few things:

1. Can I take Strattera at night? Would it continue to help with ADD symptoms and energy during the day?

2. Would a higher dose be LESS sedating?

Thanks for any input.
cindy

P.S. I am also taking 5 mg. Lexapro at night, and 0.5 mg. Klonapin at night.

 

Re: Sedation with Straterra - ok to take at night?

Posted by bennett on February 1, 2003, at 11:23:58

In reply to Re: Sedation with Straterra - ok to take at night?, posted by CindyLou on February 1, 2003, at 8:24:17

Hi,
The first day I took Straterra I too felt "like I was pulled asleep" two hours after taking it. I slept soundly for a few hours (it was the middle of the afternoon)then got up and felt rested-
I'd been getting plenty of sleep before this.

It happened again a day or so later but hasn't happened since then. By the end of the day now (day 6) I don't want to shut down ( -I never have until maybe 2-3 AM) so I continue with 5-7.5 Ambien to get to bed before midnite(which seems to hit much more quickly and demandingly than it did before) I suppose I can lower the Ambien dose a bit and see what happens..

I started with 18 mg Straterra for 3 days,(not feeling much) then 18 Am and PM. I feel most of the time now like I have a sock over my head, kind of groggy, more unfocussed than usual, but groggy instead of "speedy" - find myself getting angry and frustrated at little things not going right -- at the same time seem to put more quiet attention to things as I come upon them but in a floating sort of way - can't get on task to accomplish what I need to accomplish.

I stopped Wellbutrin before taking the straterra but I imagine that must be out of my system.

I imagine I'm not at a clinical dose yet, but still not sure how quickly to advance the dosage - not many side effects (except maybe scratchy eyes - which may be allergies...)
Doc has me on 18 mg bid for the first month.

thanks
bennett

 

Re: is strattera the same thing as reboxetine??

Posted by cybercafe on February 1, 2003, at 17:30:49

In reply to Re: Sedation with Straterra - ok to take at night?, posted by bennett on February 1, 2003, at 11:23:58

how do these drugs compare to wellbutrin?

 

Started Strattera Yesterday Woo-Hoo!

Posted by HADD Enough on February 2, 2003, at 8:32:26

In reply to Straterra approval., posted by scoper on December 28, 2002, at 2:19:34

Hi All,

I've been reading this thread with avid interest for several days and this community looks to be really helpful and supportive...I'm looking forward to contributing...I'm a 50yr old male and I have had severe ADD for as long as I can remember. I was not diagnosed, however, until about two years ago. Since then I have tried Ritalin and Concerta and, while they helped a little, I did not like the jittery feelings I got on stims. Also, I have high blood pressure and the stims only make this worse.

My ADD has almost destroyed my marriage, mostly because of my moodiness, tuning out, and impulsive anger. I'm not depressed and have not really tried any other brain chemistry altering drugs other than the stims but my pDoc has heard good things about Strattera, and at my last appt. he gave me a sample pack. I'm a pretty reluctant drug-taker but saving my marriage is my main concern right now so I started on 40mg of Strattera yesterday.

I know that neurotransmitter altering drugs generally take a couple to several weeks to be fully effective, but I have to say that, as opposed to Ritalin which was much more "violent" when it kicked in, the Strattera was much more subtle...I have not felt this clear and focused in years! I hope this is not wishful thinking but it is as if all the "static" in my mind has been muted and I can begin to sort out my chaotic thoughts.

The only side effect I've noticed so far is a slight feeling of "spaceyness", but it is not a big deal. If this is the worst of it, hooray!! I will really try to reserve judgement for a few weeks, and I plan to try upping my dosage to 60 or 80mg/day in a couple of days. I'll post updates for as long as folks are interested. Thanks.

Cheers
HADD Enough

 

Re: Started Strattera Yesterday Woo-Hoo! HADD Enough

Posted by not exactly on February 2, 2003, at 12:07:59

In reply to Started Strattera Yesterday Woo-Hoo!, posted by HADD Enough on February 2, 2003, at 8:32:26

Glad to hear that you've had such good results with Strattera. Since you've been reading this thread, you must know that we've had mixed results. It hasn't helped everyone, and many that might have benefitted didn't like the side effects. But it sounds like it's a good match for your brain chemistry. Bravo!

> My ADD has almost destroyed my marriage, mostly because of my moodiness, tuning out, and impulsive anger.

Hmmm... Those don't sound like ADD symptoms to me. If you had said that your marriage was in trouble because your wife felt you didn't listen to her and you weren't acting like a responsible adult, then the ADD diagnosis would make more sense. But maybe there's something else going on.

You say you're not depressed. But depression takes many forms. Just because you don't feel sad and hopeless every day doesn't mean that all forms of depression can be ruled out. You may have a touch of atypical or bipolar depression.

BTW, I'm no doctor, and I apologize if my conjectures are making you uncomfortable. I'm just thinking out loud, and mostly trying to be supportive.

> I have not felt this clear and focused in years! I hope this is not wishful thinking but it is as if all the "static" in my mind has been muted and I can begin to sort out my chaotic thoughts.

I've had positive reactions to some antidepressants that could have been described in those exact words. Since Strattera can act as an antidepressant, perhaps that is its true benefit for you. The important part is, its working. If your troubling symptoms are being relieved, the "reason" may be moot.

> The only side effect I've noticed so far is a slight feeling of "spaceyness"

How long has it been since you took Ritalin or Concerta? If you discontinued a stimulant recently, that can produce "spacey" feelings for a while.

Another possibility is that it's an "adjustment" phenomenon. Strattera may have changed your perceptions of reality just enough to make the world seem a bit "unfamiliar". If so, this feeling will disappear once you get used to it.

Again, congratulations on discovering the "magic bullet" so quickly. This sort of success usually takes a lot more trial & error.

> I'll post updates for as long as folks are interested.

Please do. Your success is encouraging.

- Bob

 

Re: Started Strattera Yesterday Woo-Hoo! HADD Enough

Posted by SLynn on February 2, 2003, at 12:35:18

In reply to Started Strattera Yesterday Woo-Hoo!, posted by HADD Enough on February 2, 2003, at 8:32:26

> Hi All,
>
> I've been reading this thread with avid interest for several days and this community looks to be really helpful and supportive...I'm looking forward to contributing...I'm a 50yr old male and I have had severe ADD for as long as I can remember. I was not diagnosed, however, until about two years ago. Since then I have tried Ritalin and Concerta and, while they helped a little, I did not like the jittery feelings I got on stims. Also, I have high blood pressure and the stims only make this worse.
>
> My ADD has almost destroyed my marriage, mostly because of my moodiness, tuning out, and impulsive anger. I'm not depressed and have not really tried any other brain chemistry altering drugs other than the stims but my pDoc has heard good things about Strattera, and at my last appt. he gave me a sample pack. I'm a pretty reluctant drug-taker but saving my marriage is my main concern right now so I started on 40mg of Strattera yesterday.
>
> I know that neurotransmitter altering drugs generally take a couple to several weeks to be fully effective, but I have to say that, as opposed to Ritalin which was much more "violent" when it kicked in, the Strattera was much more subtle...I have not felt this clear and focused in years! I hope this is not wishful thinking but it is as if all the "static" in my mind has been muted and I can begin to sort out my chaotic thoughts.
>
> The only side effect I've noticed so far is a slight feeling of "spaceyness", but it is not a big deal. If this is the worst of it, hooray!! I will really try to reserve judgement for a few weeks, and I plan to try upping my dosage to 60 or 80mg/day in a couple of days. I'll post updates for as long as folks are interested. Thanks.
>
> Cheers
> HADD Enough


Hello...

I am so glad that the Strattera is working for you! I am thrilled so far with this new ADD medication myself.

My son (he is 9) started it yesterday. He weighs 65 pounds and they started him on 18 mg...he is to take it for 4 days then increase to 25mg. He was pretty tired all day, but he was not near as "figity". He seemed pretty alert, but the tiredness really got to him. However, he had "tics" on the stimulants and they are now stopping! I am so relieved. Also, he did not get sick...which from what I have read, is a sign of an allergic reaction. They say that the Strattera takes time, so if you are feeling this much better already, just think how you will feel after the next 7 days or so. Also, the "spaciness" that you are feeling seems to be pretty normal the first few days (from everything that I have read...my son is doing the same thing). How did you sleep while on the Strattera compared to the stimulants? My son fell asleep on the floor at 8:30 last night and I had to get him up at 9:45 this morning. I could not believe it! Usually, I cannot get him to go to sleep or sleep peacefully all night. He had the best sleep last night than he has had in years! Please keep us all posted on your progress...this medication is so new that is nice to read about what others are going through. I am so glad to get my son off of stimulants (he has been on them for 3 years)...they have really messed him up. I am praying this new drug will work for everyone out there who is sensitive to the stimulant medications. Congratulations and keep us informed!!!

SLynn

 

Re: is strattera the same thing as reboxetine??

Posted by noa on February 2, 2003, at 13:32:14

In reply to Re: is strattera the same thing as reboxetine??, posted by cybercafe on February 1, 2003, at 17:30:49

I don't think it is the same as reboxetine, but my pdoc said it is related. It is atamoxetine.


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.