Psycho-Babble Medication | about biological treatments | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

Re: psychopharmacologist vs. psychiatrist Zana

Posted by Larry Hoover on April 20, 2009, at 8:34:54

In reply to Re: psychopharmacologist vs. psychiatrist, posted by Zana on April 20, 2009, at 7:54:25

> Psychopharmacologists do their residency in psychopharm.
> Psychiatrist do their residency in psychiatry-- treating patients with talk therapy.
> Psychopharm docs may also train in general psychiatry.

Although that may generally be true, there is no recognized American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology subspecialty in Psychopharmacology.

There is an organization called the American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology, which confers the honorific ASCP upon doctors who pass the qualifying exams, but this is a non-board sanctioned professional organization. Although the qualifications require a medical specialization, that specialization could be anything, e.g. family medicine, orthopedics....

Patients must investigate the educational background of anyone claiming to be a psychopharmacologist. There are residency programs in psychopharmacology, but the board certification could not be in that subspecialty. It's a loop-hole, perhaps, but any doctor could claim this specialization at present, unless they have ASCP certification. But I'd still want to know how they got there.





Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post

Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.


Start a new thread

Google www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Medication | Framed

poster:Larry Hoover thread:891608