Psycho-Babble Medication | about biological treatments | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

Re:Glycine-Testing my understanding (and maths):) Larry Hoover

Posted by bluedog on April 25, 2003, at 12:34:07

In reply to Re: Glycine questions for Larry Hoover, posted by Larry Hoover on April 25, 2003, at 10:30:15

Thanks Larry

I'm just checking in with you now to make sure I have properly digested and understood what you have told me and therefore would really appreciate it if you could answer my further questions as follows:-


> > You might remember a discussion I had with you recently regarding Magnesium Chloride and I was able to get Pharmaceutical grade Mag Chlor (conforming to BP grade) from the following company cheaply in my city under the Unilab brand-name.
> >
> > see
> > http://www.ajaxfinechem.com/products/products.html
> >
> > My bedtime dose is currently around 150-300mg of the MagChlor solution. I have used the method you recommended (and formula you gave me) and dissolved 250g of the MagChlor in 1 litre of water to give a convenient dose of a 5ml teaspoon to give me 150mg of elemental Magnesium. So therefore at bedtime I take 1-2 teaspoons (5-10mls)
> >
> > I am now considering adding Glycine to the mix and I can get pure BP grade Glycine also from Unilab at a fraction of the cost to what it sells for in health food stores.
> >
> > Like before you can navigate to the spec sheet on on the Unilab Glycine using the product tab at this link which I have already added above in this post.
> >
> > http://www.ajaxfinechem.com/products/products.html
> >
> > My questions to you are as follows Larry:-
> >
> > 1. Glycine is supposed to have good effect for anxiety and depression...Right?????
>
> If Eby says so. It's worth a try. YBMV. Your Brain May Vary.
>
> > 2. How many grams of the Glycine crystals of this particualar brand (ie Unilab) should I add to my MagCHlor mix????
>
> The molecular weight of glycine is 75.04. The formula for magnesium glycinate gives two glycines for every magnesium. With the atomic weight of magnesium at 24.31, the mass ratio of glycine to magnesium is 150.08:24.31, or about 6.2. So, you would have to add 6.2 (250 grams) or about 1.5 kilograms of glycine.


1. Based on these figures, given that the MagClor I use is 60g of elemental Mg for every 500g of the MagChlor crystals (a 6 water compound), then because I'm using half that or 250g of the MagChlor crystals in every litre of water IF I were to make a solution all at once (which I won't do based on your advice and bacterial warnings) then based on the molecular weights I would need to use about 185.2g of the Glycine for every 250g of MagChlor to approximate the proportions found in Magnesium Glycinate. Or down to the simplest units for every 1.35g of my MagChlor I would need 1g of the Glycine. Is this correct?????


>
> I'm going to suggest to you that it may be short-sighted to add that amount of glycine to your solution. Up until now, there has been no substance in the solution which would promote bacterial growth. I suspect that dissolved glycine would change that. Given that it would take months to consume all the solution, the potential for contamination might be very real.
>


2. Thanks for that advice. I would never have thought of that but thinking about it, considering that glycine is a protein I suppose you could equate the bacterial growth to leaving a piece of raw chicken on your sink for a couple of days. Is this an analogy you would use????

3. Now, considering the minimum amount of pure Glycine I can purchase is 500g do the problems with bacterial growth occur only once it's mixed into a solution or does it also apply to the raw material I would be purchasing?????

4. Are there any storage issues I need to consider with the raw material eg like should I keep it in the freezer until I'm ready to use it only leaving out small amounts at a time in the fridge??????

5. Or is it OK to simply store the whole 500g screw top tub in the fridge????

>George Eby at his magnesium site says if you add Glycine to a MagChlor solution it will give you the same effects as consuming Magnesium Glycinate (but this way I do it at a fraction of the cost....besides the fact that magnesium glycinate is almost impossible to get here in Australia). However when I look at the chemical formula of the Glycine my eyes just glaze over and I wouldn't have a clue as to how many grams of the Glycine I should add to my 250g in 1 litre of water MagChlor solution.
> >
> > 3. Could you please give me some advice on this topic in order that I can get the effect that George Eby describes at his site?????
> >
> > Thank you in advance Larry :)
> >
> > Warm regards
> > bluedog
>
> Going back to the mass ratio (and there's nothing saying that you must exactly match the mass ratio found in magnesium glycinate), you'll see that for every teaspoon of your magnesium solution, you conveniently want to take one gram (more or less) of glycine. I.e. 6.2 (150 mg) = 930 mg.


6. My maths says that to approximate magnesium glycinate I would need about 0.925g of Glycine in every 5ml of my current MagChlor solution. Is this correct?????

7. Therefore with one gram I'd be getting slightly more glycine than in magnesium glycinate but like you say this you needn't get a perfect match but an approximate match is OK!!!!!!:):).


>
> Far better that you create a separate solution giving you about one gram of glycine in a convenient measure. Make only small volumes at a time, or...
>
> Given a density of 1.16 (that's 1.16 grams/cubic centimeter), you can approximate 5 grams per teaspoon (that's a measuring teaspoon, equivalent to 5 mL).


8. If I were to be really fussy (which I'm not) a level 5 ml measuring teaspoon would actually give me 5.8g of Glycine. Is this calculation correct?????? This is why you say to use a "scant" teaspoon...Right???

9. ALTERNATIVELY, I actually have in my possession a 1ml measuring spoon. Therefore a "scant" 1ml measuring spoon of glycine would approximate magnesium glycinate if I were to add this to every 5ml of my current MagChlor solution....Is this Right?????


>You could make up small batches of solution by stirring a scant teaspoon into a glass of water, and drinking half one night, and half the next (refrigerating the remainder). Taken with two teaspoons of your magnesium solution, you'd be very close to approximating the proportions of mag glycinate.


10. Sounds good to me Larry. I'd be getting slightly more Glycine than in magnesium Glycinate but this is not a bad thing...Right????

11. HOWEVER...if I were to use a level 5ml teaspoon of Glycine I would get approximately 6 doses of Glycine for every 5ml of my MagChlor solution (0.9666g of glycine per dose)...Right??????

12. Considering that I actually take about 5 or 6 x 5ml doses of my MagChlor solution every day or about 750mg-900mg of elemental supplemental magnesium every day (10ml at breakfast, 5-10ml with dinner and 5-10ml at bedtime) then a level 5ml teaspoon of glycine divided into 5 or 6 equal doses per day would be perfect...Right???

13. Or would you recommend I only add the glycine to my bed-time dose and therefore use the scant teaspoon solution over two nights as you recommended?????

14. In other words is the glycine OK during the day or will it make me drowsy therefore making it better to take only at bed-time??

Like usual You've been EXTREMELY helpful Larry and I once again must thank you and I'm looking forward to your response to my further questions:):)

Warm regards
bluedog



Share
Tweet  

Thread

 

Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post


Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.

 

Start a new thread

 
Google
dr-bob.org www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for
in

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Medication | Framed

poster:bluedog thread:222251
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20030423/msgs/222317.html