Psycho-Babble Medication | about biological treatments | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

Dr. who will prescribe Klonopin for long term use

Posted by Paul Brown on May 23, 2002, at 15:34:09

I've read discussions on this message board about the experiences some people have had with psychopharmacologists who don't believe in Klonopin for long term use. I, like many other people have tried, with psycholpharmacologists, many psychiatric medications for anxiety and depression that either did nothing or made me really "crazy". They are Prozac, nortriptyline, Zoloft, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Serzone, Luvox, and Desipramine. I will never under any circumstances risk putting myself through the effects of medications like these again. The only medication that has ever worked for me is Klonopin. There have been times when I've felt particularly bad and I've taken as much as 2mg. a day, but never more. Mostly, I like to take it as needed and usually find myself taking .5mg a day or every other day. I've also taken 1mg a day at times and I've gone 6 weeks at a time without taking anything. I simply follow how I feel. And I've never had trouble coming off it. My last Dr. was an irresponsible piece of s***t who didn't answer my one emergency phone call due to a horrible reaction I had to Desipramine. I don't want anything more to do with this guy. I should mention that I've been in therapy with a psychologist I like for about a year. I need a new doctor to prescribe Klonopin for me. I don't want to get involved in an interview process where, over the phone, I'm in the position of having to find out what a particular doctor's philosophy of Klonopin use is. Trying to get this information over the phone, so that you don't have to waste your time and a lot of money having a pointless session, makes you appear like a heroin addict looking for a dr. feel-good.

My question is this. I know that there seems to be two polar opposite camps regarding benzodiazapines. I need to find a psychiatrist, psychopharmacologist, or GP who doesn't have a problem with someone in my situation, who's tried many of the "acceptable" medications, taking moderate doses of Klonopin long term to help fend off what really is life-long anxiety, worry, and all the other fun stuff that generally accompanies these symptoms; someone who understands that for me the other medications are a nightmare and Klonopin actually works, without any real downside for me.

Anyway, if someone has a name for me, I'm in New York City. A real plus would be someone who takes Empire BlueCross, but any referral would be helpful. I'm really trying to avoid having to go through a very awkward screening process over the phone.

Thanks a lot.




Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post

Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.


Start a new thread

Google www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Medication | Framed

poster:Paul Brown thread:107421