Psycho-Babble Politics Thread 1106285

Shown: posts 74 to 98 of 142. Go back in thread:

 

Re: Thoughts and Prayers sigismund

Posted by beckett2 on November 15, 2019, at 20:55:36

In reply to Re: Thoughts and Prayers, posted by sigismund on November 14, 2019, at 22:37:52

> Tulsi Gabbard and Jill Stein are Russian assets.
>
> I can wake in the middle of the night, think about that and be amazed.
>
> Is there more than meets the eye, or less? I suppose HRC meant it?

I find it complicated. Apparently, afterwards, news agencies corrected the reporting something about HRC referred to republicans (not Russians) grooming a third party candidate, implying but not naming Gabbard. I do think there's more than meets the eye, but I don't think HRC is the one to be telling the story, and I wish she'd absent herself from the current race. Jill Stein was a disappointment, and I was a Green Party member. RT favored both of them. I don't know why though. So it's curious. There is a balance I've cultivated between journalists who posit there is no there there and those who are Russia hysterics.

Today trump pardoned three war criminals convicted in military courts and restored their ranks. I feel sick to my stomach thinking about this. I imagine the deeds must be especially egregious when your platoon turns you in for a particular killing. This stuff and all the unqualified judges positioned in lifetime seats. Erode the morals of the military, erode the competency and morals of the courts....

 

Re: Thoughts and Prayers

Posted by sigismund on November 17, 2019, at 17:33:44

In reply to Re: Thoughts and Prayers sigismund, posted by beckett2 on November 15, 2019, at 20:55:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyAij4uvYaA

More nihilism and cynicism then hypocrisy.

 

Re: Thoughts and Prayers sigismund

Posted by beckett2 on November 17, 2019, at 23:50:46

In reply to Re: Thoughts and Prayers, posted by sigismund on November 17, 2019, at 17:33:44

I was only able to watch part, which is saying something about my emotional state (being a four minute video). Feeling anxious and very down.

 

I am always in a good mood

Posted by beckett2 on November 20, 2019, at 19:36:50

In reply to Re: Thoughts and Prayers, posted by sigismund on November 17, 2019, at 17:33:44

This made me laugh. After days of testimonies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6x5iZQBTxg

 

Re: I am always in a good mood

Posted by sigismund on November 20, 2019, at 23:10:25

In reply to I am always in a good mood, posted by beckett2 on November 20, 2019, at 19:36:50

Therefore you may or may not like this.

About the AGM for News Ltd.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2019/11/21/rupert-murdoch-news-corp-agm-2019-climate-change/?utm_campaign=Daily&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&ins=QThSbVREeWVUTkRsYjZ1eU1jM3Y0QT09

 

Re: I am always in a good mood

Posted by sigismund on November 21, 2019, at 0:40:34

In reply to Re: I am always in a good mood, posted by sigismund on November 20, 2019, at 23:10:25

Paywalled?

Some people like Newscorp I believe, giving freedom a voice from the bounds of political correctness.

 

Re: I am always in a good mood

Posted by sigismund on November 21, 2019, at 1:29:07

In reply to Re: I am always in a good mood, posted by sigismund on November 21, 2019, at 0:40:34

The 11,000 climate scientists and 'their world of pain and suffering' passed by, because this is a cult (isn't it?), invincibly resistant to evidence.

So it may be like Exodus, 'And God hardened pharaoh's heart'. But THIS time there's no one left to blame (How can I be so sure?) , no more Canaanite lands with the city on the hill. This time is different because we have to live with it. On that basis we should expect a war, but it won't work.

Faith is not strategy. They hate Putin and Xi because they can string together a strategic sentence.

 

Re: I am always in a good mood sigismund

Posted by beckett2 on November 21, 2019, at 2:30:41

In reply to Re: I am always in a good mood, posted by sigismund on November 21, 2019, at 1:29:07

> The 11,000 climate scientists and 'their world of pain and suffering' passed by, because this is a cult (isn't it?), invincibly resistant to evidence.
>
> So it may be like Exodus, 'And God hardened pharaoh's heart'. But THIS time there's no one left to blame (How can I be so sure?) , no more Canaanite lands with the city on the hill. This time is different because we have to live with it. On that basis we should expect a war, but it won't work.
>
> Faith is not strategy. They hate Putin and Xi because they can string together a strategic sentence.
>

Yes, we've certainly lost the plot here. I suppose people are frightened by the strategies. There is, at least to my mind, reason to fear a government similar to Xi's.

Recently I've seen a backlash to climate change strategy from the general public. Smoke a mirrors you mentioned at some point. For example, the impeachment hearings here. There is always a clerk scrolling through a phone in the background. The breaking Fox or CNN or WaPo headlines then become part of the discussion or become the terms of the argument.

I agree. Climate naysayers here now call the 'belief' in climate emergency a cult. There must be a term for flipping the truth on an opponent (unfortunately seen as an adversary). America is freedom of choice and expression. You can pick you facts.

Sanders' comments on climate emergency tonight were particularly strong. I looked for a shorter clip, but Sanders starts shortly after 3:30 or so.

Yes, Crikey has a paywall. I wasn't able to read the other link you posted--but you can cut and paste if you have the will.

Btw, is all of Australia dry? I don't understand the climate 'debate' in your country-- and what Murdoch is doing in it if I have that right. The young man, the green in your clip above, it was heartbreaking. The comment section was full of poison. Exemplar of the backlash :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTZK7Da-bkU

 

Re: I am always in a good mood

Posted by sigismund on November 21, 2019, at 13:10:10

In reply to Re: I am always in a good mood sigismund, posted by beckett2 on November 21, 2019, at 2:30:41

>I don't understand the climate 'debate' in your country

Well, that is all very amusing, and I don't either. It's not a debate around here, that's for sure. (There's some old farmers who will have their own ways of putting things. What's that? Debate?) I cannot make head or f*ck*ng tail of it.

The mining money is filtered through a series of think tanks to which up and coming people......money, employment. People who do not really need the money........

Time for coffee.

 

Re: I am always in a good mood sigismund

Posted by Beckett2 on November 21, 2019, at 16:11:20

In reply to Re: I am always in a good mood, posted by sigismund on November 21, 2019, at 13:10:10

> Time for coffee.

Good idea!

 

Why Western Civilisation is better

Posted by sigismund on November 21, 2019, at 17:24:23

In reply to Re: I am always in a good mood sigismund, posted by Beckett2 on November 21, 2019, at 16:11:20

Gore Vidal said he'd kept a photo of JFK above his desk as a warning against charm. His rhetoric? Pretty dreadful. Obama made good speeches. I loved the one in Alexandria, FWIW which is nothing. I lost faith during Deepwater Horizon. So going back from the current occupant, Obama, ohhh, GWB. Well that was the roadblock. His main virtue was his avoidance of empathy, and cultivation of personal virtue. I don't know. If sufficient people demand lies and groups to scapegoat? I like the one from his father used after the shooting down by the US of the Iranian passenger jet. 'I won't apologise the the United Stares of America. Ever. I don't care what the facts are.' Is this Sam Harris's fight with Chomsky about body counts?

Robert Kagan? (full of that 'Rules Based International Order? Samantha Powers?) HRC? This is cloud cuckoo.

So my general enquiry is why can we not do better? Why do we need Putin and Xi to speak something like the rough truth. (Because we live in a fantasy world?) If I was to speak like this here I would immediately be asked about Crimea and Xinjiang. If I were to praise Duterte's thought I would not be asked very much. The power of truth when Putin asked of the US at the UN 'Can't you see what you have done?' (Now I'll have to defend him! This isn't exactly racism, but we have no good words.) FDR had it, and that is 80 years ago.

 

Re: Why Western Civilisation is better sigismund

Posted by beckett2 on November 21, 2019, at 19:03:48

In reply to Why Western Civilisation is better, posted by sigismund on November 21, 2019, at 17:24:23

> Gore Vidal said he'd kept a photo of JFK above his desk as a warning against charm. His rhetoric? Pretty dreadful. Obama made good speeches. I loved the one in Alexandria, FWIW which is nothing. I lost faith during Deepwater Horizon. So going back from the current occupant, Obama, ohhh, GWB. Well that was the roadblock. His main virtue was his avoidance of empathy, and cultivation of personal virtue. I don't know. If sufficient people demand lies and groups to scapegoat? I like the one from his father used after the shooting down by the US of the Iranian passenger jet. 'I won't apologise the the United Stares of America. Ever. I don't care what the facts are.' Is this Sam Harris's fight with Chomsky about body counts?
>
> Robert Kagan? (full of that 'Rules Based International Order? Samantha Powers?) HRC? This is cloud cuckoo.
>
> So my general enquiry is why can we not do better? Why do we need Putin and Xi to speak something like the rough truth. (Because we live in a fantasy world?) If I was to speak like this here I would immediately be asked about Crimea and Xinjiang. If I were to praise Duterte's thought I would not be asked very much. The power of truth when Putin asked of the US at the UN 'Can't you see what you have done?' (Now I'll have to defend him! This isn't exactly racism, but we have no good words.) FDR had it, and that is 80 years ago.

You know I love Obama, although my eyes are washed of stardust. A complaint leveled at him was he apologized for the US too much. On GWB, his claim, compassionate conservatism, sparked (in part) the Tea Party (if I recall correctly). Too much compassion and humility!


Oh, I see what you're saying, maybe. That the presence of Putin and Xi are an insult to the narcissism of the west, therefore any praise or even lack of criticism is not permitted?

 

Re: Why Western Civilisation is better

Posted by sigismund on November 22, 2019, at 14:00:44

In reply to Re: Why Western Civilisation is better sigismund, posted by beckett2 on November 21, 2019, at 19:03:48

> That the presence of Putin and Xi are an insult to the narcissism of the west

That sounds right. (I didn't know what I was trying to say.) As is the existence of Russia and China as anything other than balkanised states in need of colour revolutions and western advice on the creation of democracy and (ahem) free markets. Now really! You can already hear them laughing.

 

The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia

Posted by sigismund on November 22, 2019, at 14:12:55

In reply to Re: Why Western Civilisation is better, posted by sigismund on November 22, 2019, at 14:00:44

Fox drags the Overton Window to the right (Tucker?) I know, but the MSM in the US amazes me.

I am not an expert on RT but I have watched some of it.....Chris Hedges and Empire Files are maybe on there. I don't know about Grayzone? What makes MSNBC tick? The idea is that MSNBC has been infected by cultural marxism? Seperate toilets for the transgendered? Is that cultural marxism? Is Jordan Peterson the reaction to Rachel Maddow? (Just typing that exhausted my interest.)

Why should the NYT oppose Evo Morales or Lula de Silva who, like the PRC, lifted a good many out of poverty.

 

Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia sigismund

Posted by beckett2 on November 24, 2019, at 12:46:12

In reply to The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia, posted by sigismund on November 22, 2019, at 14:12:55

> Fox drags the Overton Window to the right (Tucker?) I know, but the MSM in the US amazes me.

I was unfamiliar with the Overton Window. I'm pondering on this....

 

Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia

Posted by sigismund on November 24, 2019, at 21:12:27

In reply to Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia sigismund, posted by beckett2 on November 24, 2019, at 12:46:12

It's just the range of acceptable opinion. (I think) Trump does not fit into the Overton Window, whereas war with Russia does. (Can this be right?)

'If you switch on television it's just ridiculous and it's destructive. It kills us and talk shows will kill us, they kill our language.
So we have to declare holy war against every image we see every day on television.' Werner Herzog

I'd like to have seen more of his films.

 

Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia

Posted by sigismund on November 24, 2019, at 21:25:15

In reply to Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia, posted by sigismund on November 24, 2019, at 21:12:27

In one of his cartoons about tear gassing aboriginal kids in detention in the northern Territory FDOTM has a building, a store, with signs saying things like 'Overton Windows Sold Here!' and Buy your teargas here!'.

 

Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia

Posted by sigismund on November 25, 2019, at 16:19:38

In reply to Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia, posted by sigismund on November 24, 2019, at 21:25:15

FDOTM

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/25/ecoterrorism-maybe-we-should-start-with-ringing-the-doorbell-of-a-mining-magnates-house

 

Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia

Posted by sigismund on November 25, 2019, at 16:27:09

In reply to Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia, posted by sigismund on November 25, 2019, at 16:19:38

Some years ago there were dead shearwaters along the beach for hundreds of miles. I wondered if they were used to catching small fish from time to time, and this time there were none. They fly from Siberia and back every year.

 

Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia sigismund

Posted by beckett2 on November 25, 2019, at 18:09:17

In reply to Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia, posted by sigismund on November 25, 2019, at 16:27:09

I thought the shearwaters did not arrive on time this year. Did they arrive?

 

Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia

Posted by sigismund on November 25, 2019, at 21:01:40

In reply to Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia sigismund, posted by beckett2 on November 25, 2019, at 18:09:17

No, I don't know. The dead shearwaters were from years ago. He's pretty well informed though.

This is unnecessarily depressing. It's unpleasant to be outside with the hot wind and everything shrivelling up. Hey? you know that lump of coal shellacked to keep their hands clean? That was given to Scomo by the head of the Minerals Council, and that man now has an important position in the PMs office. And then there's the bloody rapture. If you can avoid finding this depressing I'd want to know why. People taking the last 2 cows out to shoot them because there is no water.

 

Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia sigismund

Posted by beckett2 on November 25, 2019, at 21:16:28

In reply to Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia, posted by sigismund on November 24, 2019, at 21:12:27

> It's just the range of acceptable opinion. (I think) Trump does not fit into the Overton Window, whereas war with Russia does. (Can this be right?)
>
> 'If you switch on television it's just ridiculous and it's destructive. It kills us and talk shows will kill us, they kill our language.
> So we have to declare holy war against every image we see every day on television.' Werner Herzog
>
> I'd like to have seen more of his films.

You can see him as an actor in The Mandalorian :) His gravitas is used to frightening effect.

When I watched the impeachment hearings (some of them), I streamed them from the NYT which provides very little commentaryl. Avoiding the cable news shows and commentary etc was the way to go. Cleaner. I other words, I agree.

Is the Herzog quote from an interview?

 

Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia sigismund

Posted by beckett2 on November 25, 2019, at 21:25:07

In reply to Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia, posted by sigismund on November 25, 2019, at 21:01:40

> No, I don't know. The dead shearwaters were from years ago. He's pretty well informed though.
>
> This is unnecessarily depressing. It's unpleasant to be outside with the hot wind and everything shrivelling up. Hey? you know that lump of coal shellacked to keep their hands clean? That was given to Scomo by the head of the Minerals Council, and that man now has an important position in the PMs office. And then there's the bloody rapture. If you can avoid finding this depressing I'd want to know why. People taking the last 2 cows out to shoot them because there is no water.

Oh. Is this what you're referring to : https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/24/alaska-australia-anxious-observers-fear-mass-shearwater-deaths

I read a Guardian report earlier this year (that they weren't arriving on time.) This update makes me nauseous. I haven't read all of it. Left open a tab for later.

 

Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia beckett2

Posted by beckett2 on November 25, 2019, at 21:33:43

In reply to Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia sigismund, posted by beckett2 on November 25, 2019, at 21:25:07

> > No, I don't know. The dead shearwaters were from years ago. He's pretty well informed though.
> >
> > This is unnecessarily depressing. It's unpleasant to be outside with the hot wind and everything shrivelling up. Hey? you know that lump of coal shellacked to keep their hands clean? That was given to Scomo by the head of the Minerals Council, and that man now has an important position in the PMs office. And then there's the bloody rapture. If you can avoid finding this depressing I'd want to know why. People taking the last 2 cows out to shoot them because there is no water.
>
> Oh. Is this what you're referring to : https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/24/alaska-australia-anxious-observers-fear-mass-shearwater-deaths
>
> I read a Guardian report earlier this year (that they weren't arriving on time.) This update makes me nauseous. I haven't read all of it. Left open a tab for later.
>


Last winter (our winter, sorry) was the flooding? I'm really very sorry sigi. I had hoped the poor cattle would have been sorted out. So it's back to drought? (That was in Queensland, if I recall correctly. My knowledge of Australia is getting better.)

We should be getting the first real rain of the season-- very late. Last winter was wonderful. Almost like I recall. We'd need twenty more to break even. There was even fog! Though not enough. Redwoods create (or did) their own atmosphere or at least require it, which is fog.

 

Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia

Posted by sigismund on November 27, 2019, at 20:55:08

In reply to Re: The apocalypse in Australia will be sepia sigismund, posted by beckett2 on November 25, 2019, at 21:16:28

>Is the Herzog quote from an interview?

It was from a YouTube 30 minute film about all his films. It is a quote.


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Politics | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.