Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 1110139

Shown: posts 1 to 23 of 23. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Doing a fast

Posted by linkadge on May 15, 2020, at 10:42:34

Whenever I can't shut my brain down, often a 24 hour fast helps. Half way through. I'm feeling better.

Linkadge

 

Re: Doing a fast

Posted by alchemy on May 16, 2020, at 21:43:30

In reply to Doing a fast, posted by linkadge on May 15, 2020, at 10:42:34

Interesting. A lot of times my mood is better when I don't eat, however I have hypoglycemia so I'm screwed.

 

Re: Doing a fast

Posted by rjlockhart37 on May 17, 2020, at 1:17:49

In reply to Doing a fast, posted by linkadge on May 15, 2020, at 10:42:34

same thing with me, couldn't stop keeping my mouth open from food so did a liquid fast for 3 months, lost lots of weight

 

Re: Doing a fast

Posted by Lamdage22 on May 17, 2020, at 4:16:07

In reply to Re: Doing a fast, posted by rjlockhart37 on May 17, 2020, at 1:17:49

Id be concerned to lose muscle that way. It's inevitable with long term fasting.

 

Re: Doing a fast alchemy

Posted by beckett2 on May 17, 2020, at 4:23:29

In reply to Re: Doing a fast, posted by alchemy on May 16, 2020, at 21:43:30

> Interesting. A lot of times my mood is better when I don't eat, however I have hypoglycemia so I'm screwed.

Hey, I want to say hi. I don't see you often. Hope you're ok.

 

Re: Doing a fast

Posted by linkadge on May 17, 2020, at 6:56:19

In reply to Re: Doing a fast alchemy, posted by beckett2 on May 17, 2020, at 4:23:29

I did a 24 hour fast followed by a modified eating schedule the next day. So yesterday I didn't have breakfast till 10:00 and my last meal was at 5:00. I ate whatever I wanted in this window.

For epilepsy, fasting can reduce seizure frequency. Apparently the mechanism in part is related to a change in gut bacteria. The shift results in less brain glutamate and more gaba.

I'm already thin so I can't maintain it, but it is nice to have my brain completely stop the noise.

Linkadge

 

Re: Doing a fast

Posted by undopaminergic on May 17, 2020, at 7:10:56

In reply to Re: Doing a fast, posted by Lamdage22 on May 17, 2020, at 4:16:07

> Id be concerned to lose muscle that way. It's inevitable with long term fasting.

I did. I can now no longer pull my body up till my head is over the bar, only some of the way.

I think you need to eat enough protein, or else the body breaks down muscle tissue in order to produce amino acids.

-undopaminergic

 

Re: Doing a fast

Posted by Lamdage22 on May 17, 2020, at 10:07:42

In reply to Re: Doing a fast, posted by undopaminergic on May 17, 2020, at 7:10:56

The theory that fasting removes toxins: Wouldnt it be enough to just eat toxin free food? I kind of fast in the sense that there will be two full meals including protein, and one meal is just a protein shake. I am losing alot of weight that way. So: Waking up= meal. At 5 in the afternoon= protein shake. Bedtime= meal.

 

Re: Doing a fast

Posted by Lamdage22 on May 17, 2020, at 10:11:01

In reply to Re: Doing a fast, posted by Lamdage22 on May 17, 2020, at 10:07:42

Yeah, not eating as much and frequently is certainly healthy if you dont overdo it and your weight doesnt drop below a certain threshold. Most people err on the side of eating too many calories.

 

Re: Doing a fast

Posted by undopaminergic on May 17, 2020, at 10:59:08

In reply to Re: Doing a fast, posted by Lamdage22 on May 17, 2020, at 10:11:01

> Yeah, not eating as much and frequently is certainly healthy if you dont overdo it and your weight doesnt drop below a certain threshold. Most people err on the side of eating too many calories.
>

I'm down to 65 kgs. My target zone is 70 to 75 kgs.

It is a bit counter-intuitive that I've dropped so low while on clozapine! Then again, I walk for hours each day.

I haven't been so light since I was on buprenorphine.

-undopaminergic

 

Re: Doing a fast

Posted by rjlockhart37 on May 17, 2020, at 13:05:35

In reply to Re: Doing a fast, posted by undopaminergic on May 17, 2020, at 10:59:08

i did liquid died in '12, i stayed on it, i cheated many times, but i did it unmedically supervised, i had like 40mg protein shakes 4 times a day, for 3 months. I lost ... i don't know 50-55lbs, it went down quick. Starvation diet, then go back to real food, metabolism holds on to the fat.

I was mowing the lawn, and i thought i was gonna pass out, many times i felt faint, i had to cook myself eggs and heavy food intake for a period to make back to nomral. unMedically supervised is dangerous

 

Re: Doing a fast rjlockhart37

Posted by linkadge on May 17, 2020, at 15:02:28

In reply to Re: Doing a fast, posted by rjlockhart37 on May 17, 2020, at 13:05:35

The goal is not to cut calories, I'm doing a 'compressed window' diet. I eat as much as I want between (around) 9:30 - 5:30. I've also added some MCT oil to try an produce some ketone bodies. beta-hydroxybutyrate apparently has antidepressant, anticonvulsant any anxiolytic properties. I have been feeling better today, although a bit weak and sore.

I've had a bad week. I'm batting a fungal infection, got bitten by a deer tick and fell down the stairs to top it off.

I had been feeling suicidal (don't worry) it has passed and some of the depersonalization is gone. I stopped all meds too. I'm not sure if lithium is causing psoriasis which the fungus is feeding off of.

I am so meticulous about all aspects of my health. I am a bit underweight (125 pounds, 6'2") am very fit and run quite a bit. I'm not sure why I am suffering so much.

I need bluberry. Some of his 'out there' theories on infections, fungus, mental illness might resonate right now. I thought such ailments were only an affliction of post-menopausal women.

Linkadge


 

Re: Doing a fast

Posted by beckett2 on May 17, 2020, at 16:21:56

In reply to Re: Doing a fast rjlockhart37, posted by linkadge on May 17, 2020, at 15:02:28

> The goal is not to cut calories, I'm doing a 'compressed window' diet. I eat as much as I want between (around) 9:30 - 5:30. I've also added some MCT oil to try an produce some ketone bodies. beta-hydroxybutyrate apparently has antidepressant, anticonvulsant any anxiolytic properties. I have been feeling better today, although a bit weak and sore.
>
> I've had a bad week. I'm batting a fungal infection, got bitten by a deer tick and fell down the stairs to top it off.
>
> I had been feeling suicidal (don't worry) it has passed and some of the depersonalization is gone. I stopped all meds too. I'm not sure if lithium is causing psoriasis which the fungus is feeding off of.
>
> I am so meticulous about all aspects of my health. I am a bit underweight (125 pounds, 6'2") am very fit and run quite a bit. I'm not sure why I am suffering so much.
>
> I need bluberry. Some of his 'out there' theories on infections, fungus, mental illness might resonate right now. I thought such ailments were only an affliction of post-menopausal women.
>
> Linkadge
>
>
>
>
>

Not a good week at all :( Are you monitoring the tick site?

 

Re: Doing a fast beckett2

Posted by linkadge on May 17, 2020, at 17:40:58

In reply to Re: Doing a fast, posted by beckett2 on May 17, 2020, at 16:21:56

>Not a good week at all :( Are you monitoring the >tick site?

Yeah, I was working outside yesterday and felt a bite. I grabbed hold of it and put it in a jar. I took it home and examined it under a microscope. It was a deer tick. There was no rash and I believe I pulled it out as soon as it bit.

I had muscle soreness today, but again I think that's because I fell down the stairs. No other symptoms. I think the 'consensus' in Canada is not to treat it unless you have some symptoms (bullseye rash etc). I really don't need Lyme's though. That would be the final nail in the coffin.

Linkadge

 

Re: Doing a fast beckett2

Posted by alchemy on May 18, 2020, at 15:19:55

In reply to Re: Doing a fast alchemy, posted by beckett2 on May 17, 2020, at 4:23:29

> > Interesting. A lot of times my mood is better when I don't eat, however I have hypoglycemia so I'm screwed.
>
> Hey, I want to say hi. I don't see you often. Hope you're ok.
>
Thank you! That means a lot. I took a look at the board because this isolation is bringing me down a notch and it's always nice to be with my own kind!

 

Re: Doing a fast

Posted by alchemy on May 18, 2020, at 15:31:42

In reply to Re: Doing a fast, posted by linkadge on May 17, 2020, at 6:56:19

>"Apparently the mechanism in part is related >to a change in gut bacteria."
>
This has been my research jam lately, including studying my gene SNPs to see why I might be susceptible. My brother got E. Choli when no one else did and it induced hypoglycemia for him as well. I don't think depression is only caused by my gut, but I can't believe how sensitive it is for me. I am soo sensitive to what I eat, and for me, fatty things seem to lower my mood (at least my current train of thought) - even too many cashews. And when I tried to get to keto I was super depressed. It confuses me that both probiotics and antibiotics can tank my mood. Intermittent fasting would be good for me & my mood, but my hypoglycemia makes me want to pass out and I have no energy to do anything.

 

Re: Doing a fast alchemy

Posted by linkadge on May 18, 2020, at 17:39:57

In reply to Re: Doing a fast, posted by alchemy on May 18, 2020, at 15:31:42

>And when I tried to get to keto I was super >depressed.

Right now, I'm not dealing with normal depression it's just feels like my brain is on fire with inflammation, glutamate etc. Fasting and keto seem to help me shut my brain the f*ck down. Honestly, I think I have some kind of epileptic like activity in my brain (sub seizure threshold).


Linkadge

 

Re: Doing a fast linkadge

Posted by undopaminergic on May 20, 2020, at 3:18:04

In reply to Re: Doing a fast alchemy, posted by linkadge on May 18, 2020, at 17:39:57

> Fasting and keto seem to help me shut my brain the f*ck down.
>

Didn't you say Ritalin was calming?

-undopaminergic

 

Re: Doing a fast undopaminergic

Posted by linkadge on May 21, 2020, at 18:07:46

In reply to Re: Doing a fast linkadge, posted by undopaminergic on May 20, 2020, at 3:18:04

>Didn't you say Ritalin was calming?

I think I have things under control and one tiny thing changes in my life and everything gets f*ck*d up. It's like putting on makeup to cover up a cancerous mole. I go very quickly from (what I perceive as) well to total and utter relapse.

Linkadge

 

Re: Doing a fast linkadge

Posted by undopaminergic on May 22, 2020, at 0:18:07

In reply to Re: Doing a fast undopaminergic, posted by linkadge on May 21, 2020, at 18:07:46

> >Didn't you say Ritalin was calming?
>
> I think I have things under control and one tiny thing changes in my life and everything gets f*ck*d up. It's like putting on makeup to cover up a cancerous mole. I go very quickly from (what I perceive as) well to total and utter relapse.
>
> Linkadge

So, are you saying Ritalin stopped having the calming effect?

-undopaminergic

 

Re: Doing a fast

Posted by linkadge on May 22, 2020, at 15:44:31

In reply to Re: Doing a fast linkadge, posted by undopaminergic on May 22, 2020, at 0:18:07

>So, are you saying Ritalin stopped having the >calming effect?

I honestly don't know. I think it's still calming me, but perhaps my mood has just relapsed. Something like quetiapine + straterra might be better than venlafaxine and Ritalin.

Linkadge

 

Re: Doing a fast

Posted by undopaminergic on May 23, 2020, at 7:08:34

In reply to Re: Doing a fast, posted by linkadge on May 22, 2020, at 15:44:31

> >So, are you saying Ritalin stopped having the >calming effect?
>
> I honestly don't know. I think it's still calming me, but perhaps my mood has just relapsed. Something like quetiapine + straterra might be better than venlafaxine and Ritalin.
>

Why quetiapine? I got that prescribed as needed for sleep. Its primarily an antihistamine, and you already have mirtazapine for that.

-undopaminergic

 

Re: Doing a fast undopaminergic

Posted by linkadge on May 23, 2020, at 12:28:37

In reply to Re: Doing a fast, posted by undopaminergic on May 23, 2020, at 7:08:34

On paper, yes mirtazapine should behave very much like quetiapine in low doses. However, I do find quetiapine (for me at least) is better for sleep.

Linkadge


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.